gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:26:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles  (Read 67993 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2019, 05:59:46 PM »

Save the main melody riff, IATM is boring to the fault.
I am usually partial to any GH songs on the Beatles albums, but I agree, this is one of his lesser efforts.
Yep. This, LLL, INY, DBM, S & ILYTM would be the few songs written by George I dislike. But he's right next to Paul in terms of songwriting.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 08, 2019, 06:29:39 PM »

My song of the moment--and what a song it is too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zc3idF_IZ0

I am with you. I think IATM is GLORIOUS.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: January 30, 2019, 10:10:05 AM »

From the Beatles' facebook account:

We are proud to announce an exciting new collaboration between The Beatles and the acclaimed Academy Award winning director Sir Peter Jackson

The new film will be based around 55 hours of never-released footage of The Beatles in the studio, shot between January 2nd and January 31st, 1969. These studio sessions produced The Beatles’ Grammy Award winning album Let It Be, with its Academy Award winning title song. The album was eventually released 18 months later in May 1970, several months after the band had broken up.

The filming was originally intended for a planned TV special, but organically turned into something completely different, climaxing with The Beatles’ legendary performance on the roof of Apple's Savile Row London office — which took place exactly 50 years ago today.

Peter Jackson said, "The 55 hours of never-before-seen footage and 140 hours of audio made available to us, ensures this movie will be the ultimate ‘fly on the wall’ experience that Beatles fans have long dreamt about."

“I was relieved to discover the reality is very different to the myth,” continues Jackson, “it’s simply an amazing historical treasure-trove. Sure, there’s moments of drama - but none of the discord this project has long been associated with. Watching John, Paul, George, and Ringo work together, creating now-classic songs from scratch, is not only fascinating - it’s funny, uplifting and surprisingly intimate”.

"I’m thrilled and honoured to have been entrusted with this remarkable footage - making the movie will be a sheer joy.”

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 30, 2019, 10:44:07 AM »

Finally!!!!!

Thanks, Rocker.

Edit: Just read..."following the arrival of Jackson’s new film, a restored version of Lindsay-Hogg’s Let It Be will also be released."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:52:58 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: January 30, 2019, 10:52:25 AM »

We are proud to announce an exciting new collaboration between The Beatles and the acclaimed Academy Award winning director Sir Peter Jackson

The new film will be based around 55 hours of never-released footage of The Beatles in the studio, shot between January 2nd and January 31st, 1969. These studio sessions produced The Beatles’ Grammy Award winning album Let It Be, with its Academy Award winning title song. The album was eventually released 18 months later in May 1970, several months after the band had broken up.

The filming was originally intended for a planned TV special, but organically turned into something completely different, climaxing with The Beatles’ legendary performance on the roof of Apple's Savile Row London office — which took place exactly 50 years ago today.

Peter Jackson said, "The 55 hours of never-before-seen footage and 140 hours of audio made available to us, ensures this movie will be the ultimate ‘fly on the wall’ experience that Beatles fans have long dreamt about."

“I was relieved to discover the reality is very different to the myth,” continues Jackson, “it’s simply an amazing historical treasure-trove. Sure, there’s moments of drama - but none of the discord this project has long been associated with. Watching John, Paul, George, and Ringo work together, creating now-classic songs from scratch, is not only fascinating - it’s funny, uplifting and surprisingly intimate”.

"I’m thrilled and honoured to have been entrusted with this remarkable footage - making the movie will be a sheer joy.”

Yes, I also heard this news on the radio this morning, and they compared Peter Jackson's involvement with the live project Ron Howard did a few years ago in terms of two of the most successful directors getting involved with unearthing and presenting "new" archival Beatles material for wide release.

It should be interesting. The only issue in my mind is I sincerely hope they don't try to "sweeten" or fix anything, or do all out changes to the mixes as they did the Let It Be...Naked project. I don't mind that project for what it is, but the textures of some of the songs that I'd known for years changed, and it felt like some were sterilized even beyond taking Spector out of the mix. It was a curious listen, still is, but it never replaced the originals or even some of the bootlegs.

So I hope they don't go overboard with the editing (video and audio), and especially with the post-production. It bugs me when something like this is done with the goal of appealing to modern, young listeners and owners of Beats headphones rather than keeping the music true to what it was in 1969 in this case.

What's interesting is some of us have heard a lot (too much?) of these Get Back sessions, and honestly a lot of it sounds pretty dreary, which would fit recording in a huge airplane hangar in the dead of Winter, then moving to a studio that was unfinished thanks to unfilled promises and unfinished work by "Magic Alex" Mardas...I'm curious to see how Jackson and his editing team will deliver these uplifting moments he speaks of in the press release.

Pretty excited to see and hear this in release-worthy quality versus the bootlegs.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:53:45 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2019, 12:01:12 PM »

Sounds like what they did with Elvis' "That's the way it is" and the special edition. That is, taking unreleased footage and creating more or less a new movie that is loosely based on the original and also uses parts of the original. Or will the "new" Beatles movie be made up exclusively of unreleased stuff?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2019, 02:50:07 PM »

What is ironic and will play out as 2020 approaches is how there has been no official way to buy or see the original film since the 1980's. Even in 2008 when they almost had a rerelease, Paul and Ringo scuppered that plan.

Now, read this fall 2018 interview from Paul:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/paul-mccartney-let-it-be-the-beatles-new-version-possibly-in-the-works-film-2381386

We know the project was Paul's baby from the beginning. We know bringing in Spector caused major problems.  We know Paul tried to reshape it via the naked project, with mixed results.

In that fall 2018 interview it sounds like Paul might want to make a "nice" version of Let It Be. Veering close, maybe, to reshaping history through editing?

If I remember both John and George wanted to show how tense and bad things were...wonder if this will be Paul's chance to do it his way after the original print has fallen out of the public eye?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 02:54:13 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 31, 2019, 01:55:46 AM »

Don't forget that the original as is version of the film will also be released, so hopefully any kind of "sanitized version" won't detract from how the original is. I just hope with everything I have that any black and white video used won't be artificially colorized. That is the main reason I still haven't bought a dvd of "Eight Days A Week". Let's hope that this new version isn't edited as horribly as the original, either!

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2019, 03:52:13 PM »

Peter Jackson did such a great job with the "They Shall Not Grow Old" documentary about WWI, I am quite excited about this.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2019, 06:28:25 AM »

Or will the "new" Beatles movie be made up exclusively of unreleased stuff?

I do not believe so.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2019, 10:48:16 AM »

The funny thing is that in McCartney's interview from the fall, he doesn't say definitively that the original cut of the film as released to theaters will be re-released...yet the hints are along the lines of the original release was a "downer" so a new edit will be a more fun and happy version?

I'm lazy, so is there word alongside the news of Peter Jackson's work on the project that says the original version of Let It Be will be re-released? Or is it just that Jackson will be recutting a new version from the nearly 60 hours of existing footage?

Whatever the case, I'm confused about just what is coming out...and I hope they do re-release the original edit so people can see it. Wasn't it John or George or both of them who later said fans should see Let It Be so they could get an idea of how dreary and bad the scene really was by 1969 rather than trying to sugarcoat it?

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2019, 12:02:09 PM »

The funny thing is that in McCartney's interview from the fall, he doesn't say definitively that the original cut of the film as released to theaters will be re-released...yet the hints are along the lines of the original release was a "downer" so a new edit will be a more fun and happy version?

I'm lazy, so is there word alongside the news of Peter Jackson's work on the project that says the original version of Let It Be will be re-released? Or is it just that Jackson will be recutting a new version from the nearly 60 hours of existing footage?

Whatever the case, I'm confused about just what is coming out...and I hope they do re-release the original edit so people can see it. Wasn't it John or George or both of them who later said fans should see Let It Be so they could get an idea of how dreary and bad the scene really was by 1969 rather than trying to sugarcoat it?

They are definitely restoring and re-releasing the original film. That is why I'm so excited about this! No reservations. We get the best (hopefully) of both worlds. The only worry is that years down the road the new film could be prioritized and, therefore, outlast the original, but that is a risk worth taking. As you said, the original film has already been kept under wraps for nearly 40 years (last release was on VHS in '81) and it's not like it's a secret what's on it. People have still found a way to watch it and have read about it. So, the fact that it'll finally be released (presumably) on DVD and Blu-ray is huge. IMO that gives them the freedom to create a happier version (if that truly is what transpires), that won't necessarily be dishonest or sugarcoating. It's just another look, another perspective. The source material is the same. I think it's fair to suspect that the original film may not have been the most accurate representation of the overall mood. Regardless, we'll have both films to enjoy, analyze, and decide for ourselves. I can't wait!!!  
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 12:33:52 PM by B.E. » Logged

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2019, 02:23:39 PM »

"Yesterday, everyone knew The Beatles. Today, only Jack remembers their songs. He’s about to become a very big deal. From Academy Award®-winning director Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, Trainspotting, 28 Days Later) and Richard Curtis, the Oscar-nominated screenwriter of Four Weddings and a Funeral, Love Actually and Notting Hill, comes a rock-n-roll comedy about music, dreams, friendship, and the long and winding road that leads to the love of your life."

https://www.yesterdaymovie.com/

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2019, 07:38:10 AM »

"Yesterday, everyone knew The Beatles. Today, only Jack remembers their songs. He’s about to become a very big deal. From Academy Award®-winning director Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, Trainspotting, 28 Days Later) and Richard Curtis, the Oscar-nominated screenwriter of Four Weddings and a Funeral, Love Actually and Notting Hill, comes a rock-n-roll comedy about music, dreams, friendship, and the long and winding road that leads to the love of your life."

https://www.yesterdaymovie.com/

It's an interesting concept - and I'm immediately more interested than I was in the Across The Universe travesty.

That said, with Richard Curtis as the writer, I don't have high hopes. He's ... fine but also remarkably shmaltzy and very middle-of-the-road. I know he's a big Beatles fan but he's also become a so-so screenwriter. As a massive Beatles fan myself, I will see it, but I don't think it'll end up being a huge favourite.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 26, 2019, 10:52:27 AM »

During the Memorial Day weekend the Beatles satellite channel is playing every song in chronological order. With every song there is a bit of commentary about it.

This morning I heard some from Revolver, then going home, Pepper.
The guy said that young people in the Soviet Union were desperate for some legal way to get access to Beatles songs. Finally in 1967 it happened.
The Soviet music label Melodiya put out a compilation album of various recording artists. On that album was the Beatles song "Girl."
According to the label, the music/lyrics were credited as "Traditional."  Shocked

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 26, 2019, 04:23:43 PM »

Dull music tale dltd.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 05:50:29 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 17, 2020, 01:22:08 PM »

Just read in Beatles.ru that Astrid Kirchherr died & that Ringo & Pete Best reacted to it.

http://www.beatles.ru/news/news.asp?news_id=15049
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 01:22:55 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2020, 07:16:46 PM »

She and Stu Sutcliffe were an intriguing couple. So sad that Sutcliffe died so young,
She made some amazing photographs of the Beatles.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2020, 04:05:14 PM »

On Facebook, one of my friends shared a poster - can you find the 39 Beatles songs in this poster? 

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d2/88/e0/d288e0ed6d599b6f84fe9dc1bda5f9a4.png

Thought it was a cool idea - maybe someone will draw something like that for Beach Boys songs.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: December 21, 2020, 01:51:20 AM »

The Beatles: Get Back - A Sneak Peek from Peter Jackson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UocEGvQ10OE

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 28, 2020, 03:18:58 PM »

I'm amazed there's still 55 hours of never released anything of the Beatles.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 03:20:12 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: June 08, 2021, 06:44:09 AM »

Is it just me or does it seem as if the Beatles' overall popularity has cooled a little these days?  Not that I put much stock in Rolling Stone but it was a tad eye-opening when Sgt. Pepper unceremoniously dropped off the top spot of their "500 Greatest Albums" list and fell into the teens.  And besides that they just don't seem to be getting quite as much general attention they usually get.  I don't have much evidence to base this off but just have noticed that vibe in the last few years. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 08, 2021, 01:44:35 PM »

Is it just me or does it seem as if the Beatles' overall popularity has cooled a little these days?  Not that I put much stock in Rolling Stone but it was a tad eye-opening when Sgt. Pepper unceremoniously dropped off the top spot of their "500 Greatest Albums" list and fell into the teens.  And besides that they just don't seem to be getting quite as much general attention they usually get.  I don't have much evidence to base this off but just have noticed that vibe in the last few years. 

Interesting point. Maybe it's autosuggestion but I have that feeling too. Sort of a levelling-out, if they're less regarded as musical gods way up above everyone else.

Food for thought, anyway...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 08, 2021, 04:30:49 PM »

The Rolling Stone thing was their reaction to criticism that they had too many white male rock bands at the top of the list.

I think over time their popularity will gradually fade, but no different than anybody else. I mean, not even Beethoven is as popular as he was 100 years ago.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2021, 01:44:55 AM »

Four More Tracks Debut From The Beatles’ ‘Let It Be Special Edition’

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/beatles-four-more-tracks-let-it-be-special-edition/?fbclid=IwAR0cfBUNqCUscxAB-nDo6bhJdvECm4IpK9NuN4laUnf_Hhfd4bXuJ3xOXWg

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx