gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:37:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: iconfetch.com M. Linett interview (part 1) up  (Read 11898 times)
JeremyM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 01:10:55 AM »

Successfully heard the Linett interview (part 2 Mon.) but can't access the Boyd interview, even after registering and logging in. Is it going directly to iTunes or something? Not a technophile....

Hi there - I'm pretty sure the Alan Boyd interview is not yet up.  It's still listed in the upcoming shows.  Really looking forward to these...

http://www.iconfetch.com/great-music-interviews/upcoming-shows/419-smile-sessions-alan-boyd-interview.html
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 10:17:57 AM »

Part 2 up now

http://www.iconfetch.com/great-music-interviews/2011-shows/418-mark-linett-beach-boys-smile-part-two-interview.html

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 10:53:51 AM »

Some interesting things

1. Newly compiled versions of GV and H&V - GV Inspiration vocal part edited in to TSS version - H&V more complicated - very cinematic approach to music making

2. McCartney on VT - no evidence of PMc chopping and chomping

3. Burning of Fire tapes - not destroyed

4. Multitracks missing

5. Brian sense of changing arrangement very quick and musicians could translate very very quickly

6. Brian inspired in creating the arrangements

7. SU - BW vocal from demo version - take exists of BB 71 failed attempt - second half is BW piano version with BB backing vocals - no recorded evidence of Part - no one can confirm

8. Elaborate sessionography included - relies on AFM sheets - slight grain of salt needed but AB tried to verify by listening to tapes

9. Mono version - because of BW doing it that way in 66/67 - some multitracks missing - mono = music presented how the artist wanted people to hear it

10. Rarities on Side 4 of vinyl exclusive to vinyl

11. TSS mastered from hi-res digital

12. Technology made this project possible

13. SU (WH version) on Country Air reel - four or five takes of Brian doing SU - no explanation of why

14. Alan Boyd interview to come

Another great interview

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:03:05 AM by desmondo » Logged

Cheers

Richard
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 01:14:14 PM »

CONFIRMED.

SURF'S UP PART 2 (Could Have) HAPPENED

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »

CONFIRMED.

Huh ?  Since when does a complete absence of tape and documentation confirm anything ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 01:52:02 PM »

I found this interview a bit annoying because every time the interviewer spoke I had to turn the volume down and whenever Mark L spoke I had to turn the volume up. Couldn't they level out the volume levels?

Great interview otherwise.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 02:26:21 PM »

Yeah, I had to do exactly the same..

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 02:56:47 PM »

CONFIRMED.

Huh ?  Since when does a complete absence of tape and documentation confirm anything ?

I think it was a bit of subtle irony, bathed in blue pathos.

But back to the interview. I have to say, that one of the highlights of the box for me will be the literature. Especially the technical notes, both historical and contemporary. I can never read enough about how Brian recorded, equipment, techniques etc. I'll also be very interested in what Mark and Alan have to say about the researching and compiling of the set, and how and why certain decisions were taken.

I'm also looking forward to hearing some new anecdotes from the people who were there, and I'm hoping for lots of input from key players like Diane, who has been sorely neglected as a SMiLE source.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 07:55:23 PM »

re: Vegetables, Paul McCartney... is the Smiley Smile version of Vegetables culled from the same sessions? I could swear I hear Paul McCartney on the Smiley version.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 09:23:10 PM »

I could swear I hear Paul McCartney on the Smiley version.

lolwut

Also, was this really just a rumor this whole time? I thought it was indeed true that he was on the Smile version? Him being on the Smiley Smile take makes no sense considering the majority of it was done at his home.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 09:25:51 PM »

I hope this means that everyone in the world will cease the McCartney Vegetables nonsense. Of course this will never happen. Myths never die, especially if the myth involves the beetuls.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 09:44:45 PM »

The best story I heard about it was that ALLEGEDLY in a radio show in England show shortly after the GV box set was released there was a contest in which you had to phone in and say who chomped the celery on V-T... and Paul MyCartney phoned in to say "Me!!!" Cheesy

If that story isn't true, it's made up well! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 10:01:26 PM »

The best story I heard about it was that ALLEGEDLY in a radio show in England show shortly after the GV box set was released there was a contest in which you had to phone in and say who chomped the celery on V-T... and Paul MyCartney phoned in to say "Me!!!" Cheesy

The radio show was in LA a few years ago... but yes, Macca did call in and say it was him.  Smiley

Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 10:45:57 PM »

The Macca Vega-Tables session

Date & Where: night before a big tour according to Al Jardine / 2nd session that day with Al Jardine according to Brian Wilson
(Version Al) Night before a big tour would be April 12, 1967 / the night-session (2nd that day) took place at Sound recorders
(Version Brian) Also April 12, 1967, because only day with two "Vega-Tables" vocal sessions.
(Version Beatles researchers): April 10, 1967

People present: (Verison Brian) Marilyn Wilson, Hal Blaine, Derek Taylor, Al Jardine, Paul McCartney, Brian Wilson
Source: Brian remembers that studio was decorated with Vegetables, he played pool with Hal Blaine using celery stalks for cues, tomatoes and radishes as balls, McCartney raised an eyebrow over that.
Plausible? I doubt.
(2nd possibility) Marilyn Wilson, Mal Evans, Al Jardine, Paul McCarntey, Brian Wilson

What happened: (Story Al) Paul in the control room, talking to Brian, Al had to wait long times between takes, Paul would come on the talkback and say 'Good Take', Brain blown away, couldn't continue the session
(Story Paul) he chewed vegetables

Conclusion: Paul was there in the control room for five minutes, Session aborted, nothing recorded

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 11:19:05 PM »

How could neither Paul nor Brian verify this over the course of 45 years?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2011, 11:20:08 PM »

I found this interview a bit annoying because every time the interviewer spoke I had to turn the volume down and whenever Mark L spoke I had to turn the volume up. Couldn't they level out the volume levels?

Great interview otherwise.

Anyone interested in an "leveled out" YouTube upload?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2011, 11:37:13 PM »

CONFIRMED.

If I listened correctly, ML said that there actually is an AFM sheet for Pt. 2 but no tape was found and if a tape ever existed it has been missing for at least 40 years.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2011, 11:39:04 PM »

The radio show was in LA a few years ago... but yes, Macca did call in and say it was him.  Smiley

So can we claim it was confirmed?

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2011, 11:41:40 PM »

I wouldn't say that was confirmation. What was Paul gonna do, sit there and say, "I know they're gonna say 'Paul McCartney' is the answer, but damn it, that's not true!"

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2011, 12:22:47 AM »

CONFIRMED.

If I listened correctly, ML said that there actually is an AFM sheet for Pt. 2 but no tape was found and if a tape ever existed it has been missing for at least 40 years.

He then added that no-one (including Brian) can remember that session, so it may have been mis-labelled or cancelled.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2011, 03:58:39 AM »

Yeah, wasn't he in the habit of cancelling sessions at that time, as the project wore on?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2011, 04:13:42 AM »

4 takes of Brian doing Surf's Up in late 1967!
very cool
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 04:15:00 AM by over and over » Logged

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2011, 04:56:57 AM »

I wouldn't say that was confirmation. What was Paul gonna do, sit there and say, "I know they're gonna say 'Paul McCartney' is the answer, but damn it, that's not true!"

If he was me, he would have done so. But obviously he isn't.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2011, 05:11:09 AM »

Well not exactly...there are two AFM sheets for Jan. 23, 1967 - the earlier one is for "SURF'S UP", the later one for something called "PART ONE (sweetening)".  The second of the two has a master number that is one digit sequentially higher than the first one.  Does this mean that the first session was for the second movement, and the second session was a string & horn overdub onto a second-stage tape copy of the FIRST movement (taped back in December)?  Or does it mean something else?  No way to tell, since the tape(s) are missing.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2011, 05:57:47 AM »

I thought the 'sweetening' session on Part 1 had been booted? Or is that a different sweetening session....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx