gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:11:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there any possible hope for a 'Love You' boxset?  (Read 5395 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:28:38 PM »

As the title says; is there any hope? Or will it just continue to be a joke among us SmileySmilers?

If not a boxset will the upcoming album releases possibly include a special edition of Love You complete with backing tracks/vocals only tracks/demos?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 08:50:51 PM »

"Love You" belongs in "Other Music" category, eh?  I can dig it!

Afro

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 09:12:43 PM »

I would honestly actually buy this and be just as excited about it as the Smile box set. So there's at least one order for you, Capitol!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 09:19:41 PM »

...make that three. I would buy at least two. (Drooling over the thought of a LY box set)
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 09:30:44 PM »

More realistically - surely they could do very good business reissuing each Warners album with a bonus CD of outtakes, alternate takes, live versions and such.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »

"Love You" belongs in "Other Music" category, eh?  I can dig it!

Afro

Whoops! Meant to put it in 'General On Topic Discussions' - had a long day at work and I need some sleep!
_____

And sign me up for at least 1 - if not 2. Linett could probably assemble a Love You boxset in a day or two (ok, obviously it would take more time than that, but it wouldn't be as bad as assembling a SMiLE boxset)....then just make it a digital release so there's no manufacturing costs. Honestly, Capitol, you'd make some money, we'd be happy, and the legend of Love You would continue on into the ages.

I mean, we all joke about a Love You Boxset coming out - but I'd really love to see one! If people from BRI read this, if Melinda reads this, or Brian, or Mr. Linett, I really hope word gets back to Capitol that we really want this (or some form of a special release).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 10:25:34 PM »

I don't know about a Boxset, but they could make a 2 cd set with like 40 tracks or something, and release that.  Surely that wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.  1 CD with the album remastered, and maybe live versions of some of the songs from around the same time period, and then another CD with alternate takes and unreleased stuff from around the same time frame.  Voila~ nice pretty little package with a nice thick book explaining all about it, I think that would be a great compliment to the Beach Boys catalog. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 11:04:16 AM »

Love You/Adult Child box set or a even bigger late 1970s Brian Wilson box set would be awesome.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 11:12:09 AM »

I don't know about a Boxset, but they could make a 2 cd set with like 40 tracks or something, and release that.  Surely that wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.  1 CD with the album remastered, and maybe live versions of some of the songs from around the same time period, and then another CD with alternate takes and unreleased stuff from around the same time frame.  Voila~ nice pretty little package with a nice thick book explaining all about it, I think that would be a great compliment to the Beach Boys catalog. 

You could easily fill a 2 CD set with Love You stuff. There's the 25 minute tape of Brian playing the new material for the band, plus eight or nine known tracks recorded around the time period, plus a plethora of different mixes. Of course it can be filled out with backing tracks/a cappellas/live versions.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 11:26:50 AM »

I'd totally buy a box set or at least a remastered bonusd track edition of my favorite Beach Boys album.

Now lets see if we can get this thread to have as many responses as the Smile Box thread and maybe we'll get our wish. Maybe not though. Probably not.

Is there even a market for this album outside of us?

No mas, por favor.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 11:28:43 AM »

I want the blueboarders to hear "drip drop" as another side of Brian Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 11:47:02 AM »

One of the "Whoooos" in the reconstructed "Ding Dang" sounded about 2 dB too quiet in this new mix. I'm very disappointed.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 12:19:03 PM »

I'd say chances are zero for a CD set.

There just aren't enough people who would buy it, so the production costs would make it a money loser.  They would also be wary of the inevitable sneering over the vocals (which some love and some hate), the lyrics (ditto) and the state of Brian at the time.

But who knows--maybe a less publicized download set could happen someday.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 12:20:19 PM »

how about a 2 cd set called "Brians back"  disc 1 could be 15 big ones (with the songs that were left off of it) and (if room) love you (if not room) then the love you demos disc 2 (if love you isn't on the first disc) then love you and adult child (if love you is on the first disc) then the cd would start off with the love you demos and finish with adult child and if room after that whatever is left to fill the cd up live etc..
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 12:22:31 PM »

or capitol could do what rhino did with the monkees and release 3 cd sets that you have to buy (or download off of the internet)..then they can fit all 3 albums on all three cds with outakess and demos..
Jason
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 12:32:26 PM »

Honestly I am in agreement with Jeff on this issue. It would be GREAT as a FLAC download on the BB Central website (LOL).
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 12:46:34 PM »

I´d love some sort of LY re-release! If only a remastered cd with lots of bonus stuff.

Bring me that and then a SUNFLOWER deluxe edition and I´m one happy fan!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »

I´d love some sort of LY re-release! If only a remastered cd with lots of bonus stuff.

Bring me that and then a SUNFLOWER deluxe edition and I´m one happy fan!
[/quote
yes  sunflower with the land locked songs as bonus tracks would be great..
Jason
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 12:57:13 PM »

Honestly, with the BB Central site (again, LOL) there's no reason that there couldn't be a download-only expanded reissue of every album. Sell it as a series of options. Mono/stereo (where applicable), or, if you already have the album, just the bonus tracks. Or individual tracks.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 01:10:11 PM »

How many songs off Love You were played live back in the day?

Jason
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 01:15:40 PM »

Roller Skating Child, Honkin' Down The Highway, Airplane, and Love Is A Woman back in 1976-78. Brian played The Night Was So Young in 2002 and 2004. Al plays Honkin' Down The Highway often nowadays.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 01:27:36 PM »

There just aren't enough people who would buy it, so the production costs would make it a money loser.  They would also be wary of the inevitable sneering over the vocals (which some love and some hate), the lyrics (ditto) and the state of Brian at the time.

I know you're right... sadly. Personally I always found this rather frustrating - there are so many people who won't shut up about what a genius they think Brian Wilson is (nothing wrong with that at all, mind you!) and still there is no market for deluxe editions of some of his most emotional work ever.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 01:48:12 PM »

Nope

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 02:34:38 PM »

Honestly, with the BB Central site (again, LOL) there's no reason that there couldn't be a download-only expanded reissue of every album. Sell it as a series of options. Mono/stereo (where applicable), or, if you already have the album, just the bonus tracks. Or individual tracks.

Someone would still need to pay the wages of the guys who're gonna research and remaster all that stuff. And that's time consuming, labour-intensive & expensive. The likes of Mark & Alan might do it for the love if it, but they can't be expected to feed their loved ones thin air.

Suspect even download sales wouldn't cover those costs in the case of most albums.

“We live in divisive times.”
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 02:35:26 PM »

I know you're right... sadly. Personally I always found this rather frustrating - there are so many people who won't shut up about what a genius they think Brian Wilson is (nothing wrong with that at all, mind you!) and still there is no market for deluxe editions of some of his most emotional work ever.

I'm really glad to hear someone say this. This is all too true. It's ridiculous. So many people go on and on about Brian Wilson genius this and genius that, and yet how many people really truly listen to his work outside of the hits and Pet Sounds? I was immediately reminded of this when the eulogies started trickling in last week for Steve Jobs. Again, genius this, genius that, revolutionized this and that, made us think differently about this and that...yet Apple holds, what, 10% of the market share of computer sales? And not much more than that in smartphone sales. People just like to repeat things they hear. The majority of the people have very little idea what they're talking about.

Anyway........mark me down as a sure customer for any Love You related reissue/expanded release. Hell yeah.   

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx