gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680828 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:03:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there any possible hope for a 'Love You' boxset?  (Read 5447 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 02:40:39 PM »

This set would be sweet with liner notes that describe the period of "brian is back" in much detail.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 02:49:04 PM »

This set would be sweet with liner notes that describe the period of "brian is back" in much detail.

I'd love to know what it was like in the studio - who played on what track, etc, etc.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jason
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 02:53:05 PM »

I think in the musician credits for Love You you'd find a lot of Brian Wilsons on there.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 02:53:50 PM »

I'd love to know what it was like in the studio - who played on what track, etc, etc.

Or notes on that session in 1979 at western where they tried to set up the studio like it was in 1965 with Chuck Britz and the wrecking crew.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:55:34 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2011, 03:30:42 PM »

Or notes on that session in 1979 at western where they tried to set up the studio like it was in 1965 with Chuck Britz and the wrecking crew.

I remember an anecdote told by Hal Blaine in 'Brian Wilson: Songwriter' where he talks about Brian coming in a playing a hit tune on the piano and he keeps asking Hal if he remembers the tune. Then Brian just left....was that the session you're referring to? Anyone have any more info on this session?

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2011, 04:16:44 PM »

I remember an anecdote told by Hal Blaine in 'Brian Wilson: Songwriter' where he talks about Brian coming in a playing a hit tune on the piano and he keeps asking Hal if he remembers the tune. Then Brian just left....was that the session you're referring to? Anyone have any more info on this session?
I got the info from the Brian Bio by Peter Ames Carlin, where he describes the session in 1979 as a last ditch attempt to get Brian motivated like the old days and the session didn't go well because Brian was nervous and the vintage recording setup haunted Brian by reminding him of the man he used to be. I think your story happened around 1974 or 1975.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 05:45:56 PM »

I got the info from the Brian Bio by Peter Ames Carlin, where he describes the session in 1979 as a last ditch attempt to get Brian motivated like the old days and the session didn't go well because Brian was nervous and the vintage recording setup haunted Brian by reminding him of the man he used to be. I think your story happened around 1974 or 1975.

Ah thanks. I think I'm gonna re-read Catch A Wave - fantastic book.

Well, I wonder if Brian would still be a bit nervous recording with them now... Undecided

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011, 06:01:04 PM »

Ah thanks. I think I'm gonna re-read Catch A Wave - fantastic book.

Well, I wonder if Brian would still be a bit nervous recording with them now... Undecided
Hopefully not, the 1979 session had him being videotaped during the session and the wrecking crew gave him a standing ovation when he walked in.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2011, 06:19:47 PM »

Honestly, with the BB Central site (again, LOL) there's no reason that there couldn't be a download-only expanded reissue of every album. Sell it as a series of options. Mono/stereo (where applicable), or, if you already have the album, just the bonus tracks. Or individual tracks.

It just doesn't happen. Anywhere. No one is thinking, no one is adjusting completely to how music is obtained nowadays. imo. Especially not the people in charge of a band like the Beach Boys. They're too busy opting to sell you a 70 dollar box set for three or four new stereo mixes with no means of legally purchasing them in CD quality.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2011, 06:45:56 PM »

All the Beach Boys could post there is unreleased material. From what has been said here, they are all not too keen about releasing all of it. As for released albums, that is solely a Capitol decision. They either own or lease rights to that material.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2011, 06:59:21 PM »

All the Beach Boys could post there is unreleased material. From what has been said here, they are all not too keen about releasing all of it. As for released albums, that is solely a Capitol decision. They either own or lease rights to that material.

Capitol won't do it, either. We're inexplicably a while off from it. Connections are faster, hard drive storage is bigger, there really isn't a good excuse that it's not more common in the year 2011.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »

One of the "Whoooos" in the reconstructed "Ding Dang" sounded about 2 dB too quiet in this new mix. I'm very disappointed.

Yeah, but if you reverse the WHOOOOS, then use some bullshit program you can download off the net for free to subtract that sonically from the mix, and play the track backwards, you hear Brian say "DEAN!!!! STOP SINGING OFF KEYYYY!".

We haven't figured out yet, if it's from tape bleed since all these were stored in Capitol's vaults at the same time, or if Mark Linnett screwed it up. 
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 09:39:40 AM »

I'd buy a Love You Boxset. As long as it comes with a free bathrobe!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2011, 10:30:58 AM »

Somebody - most likely AGD - posted that Happy Days (from Imagination) contains a recycled part from an unbooted Love You era song. IIRC it was the great bit at the end that goes:

"Oh my gosh, happy days are here again
I can see the twinkle in the people's eyes"

although this may be wishful thinking on my part based on how much I love that bit and just how 'Love You' the melody sounds.

If the above is true, a Love You box would be a perfect home for such an unbooted gem.

I love the album , and the demos. It seems to be a fascinating and incredibly creative period for Brian, so yes: Put me down for the box!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jason
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2011, 10:35:31 AM »

I was always aware that the beginning melody ("dark days were plenty...") was taken from My Solution, from October 1970.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2011, 10:51:11 AM »

I was always aware that the beginning melody ("dark days were plenty...") was taken from My Solution, from October 1970.

Yes I know that one, and there's also a strong case for the section "Happy Days are here again, The sky is blue and clear again" being lifted from All This Is That, but I'm sure AGD claimed that the other part (presumably the last bit I mention above) was taken from a Love You era outtake. All in all quite a frankenstein of a song.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2011, 11:33:56 AM »

I'd buy a Love You Boxset. As long as it comes with a free bathrobe!

Nice!  Grin I'd buy that too!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2011, 11:35:59 AM »

And the deluxe box set would have to come with a black pack of cigarettes with black cigarettes...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2011, 11:53:06 AM »

Somebody - most likely AGD - posted that Happy Days (from Imagination) contains a recycled part from an unbooted Love You era song. IIRC it was the great bit at the end that goes:

although this may be wishful thinking on my part based on how much I love that bit and just how 'Love You' the melody sounds.

'Twas indeed me and it's true. Brian said that in an interview, and it was confirmed to me a short while later.

My Love You deluxe set would feature the released mix, Brian's original mix, the demos-for-the-band session and all the known outtakes, viz:

Ruby Baby
Hey Little Tomboy
Marilyn Rovell
That Special Feeling
We Gotta Groove
They're Marching Along
Hey There Moma
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2011, 12:05:25 PM »

'Twas indeed me and it's true. Brian said that in an interview, and it was confirmed to me a short while later.

My Love You deluxe set would feature the released mix, Brian's original mix, the demos-for-the-band session and all the known outtakes, viz:

Ruby Baby
Hey Little Tomboy
Marilyn Rovell
That Special Feeling
We Gotta Groove
They're Marching Along
Hey There Moma
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'

Half of Brian's original mix is what goes around on bootlegs, right? Along with Honkin' Down The Highway with Billy Hinsche on vocals?

Wouldn't Sherry She Needs Me count as an "outtake", even though the backing track dates from 11 years before?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:55:03 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2011, 02:42:51 PM »

More realistically - surely they could do very good business reissuing each Warners album with a bonus CD of outtakes, alternate takes, live versions and such.
I'm all for this idea. It's a much more feasible idea than a Love You boxset, and would be a great way to follow-up on  any  new interest in the band created by The Smile Sessions and the 50th anniversary.

A broken man too tough to cry
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx