-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:23:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What is going on here?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What is going on here?  (Read 3946 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2011, 11:02:24 PM »

In the last six or so months, there seems to be a forboding "gloom and doom" element in the atmosphere of this message board. It feels as though somebody has their grip around your neck, ready to squeeze if you happen to breathe just a little to loudly. In just a little over two weeks, we are all going to have a box set of Smile sessions in pristine sound quality. These are sessions from an album who's officially approved legal release was once thought to be a miracle, in the most extreme sense of the word. Isn't Smile what brought us all here to begin with?!? You can say I'm just a hopeless romantic, but I believe that some lasting friendships have been made here. There are certainly more than just a few people here who have made an impression on me which will last for many years. But yet we bicker and fight like children. Can't we all just take a collective big breath and turn this back into what it used to be? The best damn message board in the history of the internet!  Cool

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 11:08:14 PM »

2011 has given us the phil cohen saga and the Ghost Saga. Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 04:01:58 AM »

Well speaking as one who has been involved in a couple of disputes lately, I wonder if it has more to do with spending much more time here, a bit like how seeing your friends every now and then is great, but go on holiday with them for two weeks and they start to drive you nuts!

I think also there's a lot of tension and anticipation for the Smile Sessions. Once the euphoria of Nov 1st has eased off, I suspect this place will get far more heated than it is at the moment. Something similar happened with BWPS, where most people were glowing about it to start with, and then a lot of arguments kicked off about how involved Brian was, whether it was the real Smile or not, and so on. I suspect we could get similar disagreements with this new set, and its reliance on BWPS. I hope I'm wrong and everyone loves it, but let's be realisitc ...  Grin

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jason
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 11:31:20 AM »

Personally, after all of the bullshit that both BWPS and The Smile Sessions kicked up on Beach Boys forums, I would much rather have preferred that both entities never happened. Because, like it or not, Smile was always Brian and Van Dyke's baby. We've all grown accustomed to fan mixes and fan edits and blah blah blah that even when Brian himself comes out and says "this is how I want it to be", it flies in everyone's faces, like "THAT'S NOT IT!" Even I'm guilty of this. Smile was much easier to digest when it was just a mess of bootlegs that we had misty eyes for, hoping one day for the real thing. And now we have it and no one's happy. Vicious circle.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 01:47:05 PM »

OK, Mr. Positivity, please don't include me in the overarching "no one" whom you claim are not happy about TSS (The Smile Sessions, not Toxic Shock Syndrome) coming out.

I, for one, am very happy about it, and venture to guess many others are too.

To wish it wouldn't exist merely because some people prefer to squabble over it endlessly seems like a big overreaction.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 05:28:58 PM »

We all get stressed. And things posted by seemingly insensitive goons on the net wind us up. The shade of anonymity afforded to us by a messageboard only makes it easier to post snide zings to the populace. And there is, as The RBB says, a vicious circle. You're all sound fellas, and even though I bitch at people here we're all here for John Stamos, and that's what matters.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 09:05:43 PM »

Such a rousing speech, Mr. Jay. Rivaling John Galt's in Atlas Shrugged.

A discipline daddy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 09:42:51 PM »

Well speaking as one who has been involved in a couple of disputes lately, I wonder if it has more to do with spending much more time here, a bit like how seeing your friends every now and then is great, but go on holiday with them for two weeks and they start to drive you nuts!

I think also there's a lot of tension and anticipation for the Smile Sessions. Once the euphoria of Nov 1st has eased off, I suspect this place will get far more heated than it is at the moment. Something similar happened with BWPS, where most people were glowing about it to start with, and then a lot of arguments kicked off about how involved Brian was, whether it was the real Smile or not, and so on. I suspect we could get similar disagreements with this new set, and its reliance on BWPS. I hope I'm wrong and everyone loves it, but let's be realisitc ...  Grin
I don't want to start the argument all over again, but it was the "drunkard" thing that prompted me to start this thread. But this isn't a SMiLE related topic, nor is it a topic about freedom of speech versus censorship. It's about how the smallest of misunderstandings can turn into the ugliest of fights. there has been way to much petty bullsh*t in the last several months, and it seems to be getting worse and worse.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 01:13:27 AM »

We all get stressed. And things posted by seemingly insensitive goons on the net wind us up. The shade of anonymity afforded to us by a messageboard only makes it easier to post snide zings to the populace.

Yeah - you've no idea how long it took me to come up with "Andrew G. Doe" as my pseudonym. No. Idea.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 06:28:30 AM »

It was worth it to hide your true identity....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 08:04:13 AM »

Remember, AGD is really god. Earcandy proved it Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rogerlancelot
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 09:34:35 AM »

I love all of you hurt by the cold. So hard and lonely too when you don't know yourself.

group hug group hug group hug group hug group hug
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 12:31:04 PM »

Remember, AGD is really god. Earcandy proved it Grin

This is true:

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: