gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:54:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New studio album (Ocean Way sessions)  (Read 119187 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 12, 2011, 03:31:26 AM »

I like the idea somebody here had about the group doing a song about Dennis or Carl

We once had a doggie named Carl
Who went with our pigtails and freckles.
Just like a tisket and a tasket
He came one Christmas in a basket

He'd jump on her lap and would kiss us
When we'd go away he would miss us
He used to tag along beside us
A furry flop haired easy rider

Carl, I'll see you on the other side
I couldn't believe it when they said you'd died
I couldn't keep myself from crying
I even almost felt like dying

Carl, I know I'll get to see you again
I don't know exactly where or how or when
Such a good dog, I'm believing
You're happy up in doggy heaven

Carl, though you're gone away
I feel sure that we will play some day
Just like in the good ole days
Just you and me (togetherrrrrr)

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 12, 2011, 03:34:53 AM »

oh my god  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #252 on: October 12, 2011, 03:58:21 AM »

oh my god  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

The return of Ghost
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 12, 2011, 07:53:02 AM »

I guess it could be like that.  I was thinking more along the vein of "My Diane".  They could call it "My Dennis". 

Just kidding, and I know it would be a tall order, but they could write an appropriately oblique song about Carl and Dennis and have it be the coolest thing ever. 
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 12, 2011, 08:17:12 AM »

Consider:  Brian's unheard-of return to vocal form in his 60's since the release of Smile, the amazing production of the Disney record (some of his best work since 1967, IMHO), the crap-eating grin on his face in the recent FB Capitol records photos, the Smile Sessions being released in a few weeks , and the fact that he holds the ultimate hand in any BB reunion-- I'm certain he could negotiate full authority in every realm in the project, and even have Darian with him every time he's in a room with Mike (a sort-of reverse Surf-Nazi kind of deal...), or he'd be glad to walk away and return to living-legend land.

There's only one title for this puppy:

The Beach Boys -- Return of the Piper (2011)

That sounds more like a Syd Barrett comeback album.

A broken man too tough to cry
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 12, 2011, 08:25:58 AM »

Dedicated to Dennis and Carl, and anyone else in the band who ever dies:

Hey, little Beach Boy, sit here on my lap
I got things that I gotta tell you
No more skateboards, put away your baseball mitt.
Your rough livin' days are through

You could find places to go
You could see that boys love you so
They're doin' it all over the world

Hey little hey little hey little Beach Boy
Time to turn into a girl
Hey little hey little hey little Beach boy

Hey, little Beach boy, I've had my eyes on you
Thinkin' what a girl you could be
Mmm, I smell perfume, let's try some cut-off jeans
Look at all the changes I see

I'm gonna teach you to kiss
You're gonna feel just like this

Time to turn into a girl

(Hey little hey little hey little Beach Boy)
I'm gonna make you a girl
You'd make a beautiful girl
They're doing it all over the world

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 12, 2011, 08:32:08 AM »

That's just............................wrong.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 12, 2011, 09:16:29 AM »

"pleasure island" would work if Brian uses the beach boys to complete his rock and roll album he has been talking about since 1999....  Grin

Pleasure Island is miles better than Ocean Way. And its a name that would intrigue today's audience more as well.

Which place would you choose to go?
Mike would like pleasure island because it fits in with in his summer beach boys kokomo theme he has been pushing since the 1980s. Saw Mike and Bruce this year and they were great and they will sound good in the studio for an album.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:19:51 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 12, 2011, 09:32:12 AM »

The thing with Mike is that , love him or hate him, everyone must agree that he has lived an amazing life, experienced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, so surely he can think of more intresting subject matter to sing about then going to the bloody beach!!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 12, 2011, 09:35:14 AM »

The thing with Mike is that , love him or hate him, everyone must agree that he has lived an amazing life, experienced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, so surely he can think of more intresting subject matter to sing about then going to the bloody beach!!
Mike can write good non-beach lyrics, the man wrote the lyrics for side two of Today and warmth of the sun. Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: October 12, 2011, 09:52:34 AM »

none of the tracks from Mike's unreleased solo album from a few years ago are about going to the beach.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: October 12, 2011, 09:57:43 AM »

Mike's "I don't wanna know" (re-recorded for his unreleased Mike Love Not War album) is great. I love it ! I wonder what it would've sounded like if Carl had sang it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 12, 2011, 10:08:50 AM »

The problem with Mike in my opinion is that while he may do non-beach songs on his solo albums, when he makes Beach Boys albums he has this idea of surfing/cars and beach themed music because that thats the part of the band's legacy he embraces, while Brian is more into the emotional side of the band's legacy. Hoping they reach a consensus for a new album that embraces both aspects of the beach boys music and legacy.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:21:43 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 12, 2011, 10:14:46 AM »

none of the tracks from Mike's unreleased solo album from a few years ago are about going to the beach.

Solo albums are one thing but for Beach Boys material I'm afraid it'll be "fun in the sun" lyrics all the way.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #264 on: October 12, 2011, 12:47:47 PM »

Solo albums are one thing but for Beach Boys material I'm afraid it'll be "fun in the sun" lyrics all the way.
And that's exactly why it wouldn't sell. Roll Eyes
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 12, 2011, 05:19:36 PM »

DUH DUH UDH UDH UDHUD HUDH D
GOOOIN TO TEH BEAH
GOOOIOIIN T OTEH BEACH
WITH MAH BAYABYUIYYY
GOOINN OT TEHBB BEAHC
GO GOOIIIIIN
 TEO TEH ABC HAETBI ABBABBY

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 12, 2011, 06:19:44 PM »

Hate to be a downer but again......The source is someone tweeting while taking a sh!t!

This person may not know the Beach Boys from the Beastie Boys. In to record comes Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys and it 'is ' the Beach Boys suddenly.

To the insider who got upset about a subject earlier, now may be a good time to speak up.

am i missing what the bathroom has to do with anything?  are you trying to say that cause he tweeted a picture of what the bathroom looks like at the studio (obviously showing the posters on the wall) that he has no credibility?  i mean he said he's listenign to the music with brian wilson and then posted a picture of him and brian wilson. 

I just think it is disrespectful of someone who should be a professiona,l to me at least, be sending a tweet hidden and in secret. Also interesting no pictures other than with Brian. Not a word on the songs, style, musicians etc.

Like to be proved wrong but by now I would have thought a 'Beach Boy' or spokesman would have confirmed or denied.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: October 12, 2011, 10:32:19 PM »

Call me nuts, but I would love to hear a BB version of Love and Mercy.

Shocked
Hey... so would I.

If the really make a new album, and it's half as good as TLOS, then it's good enough. Still I'm scared thinking they really might try.

My title suggestion: 15 Summer Bummers. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: October 12, 2011, 11:55:40 PM »

Consider:  Brian's unheard-of return to vocal form in his 60's since the release of Smile, the amazing production of the Disney record (some of his best work since 1967, IMHO), the crap-eating grin on his face in the recent FB Capitol records photos, the Smile Sessions being released in a few weeks , and the fact that he holds the ultimate hand in any BB reunion-- I'm certain he could negotiate full authority in every realm in the project, and even have Darian with him every time he's in a room with Mike (a sort-of reverse Surf-Nazi kind of deal...), or he'd be glad to walk away and return to living-legend land.

That would be the best of times, that would be the worst of times.

Were it the case.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: October 13, 2011, 12:18:58 AM »

DUH DUH UDH UDH UDHUD HUDH D
GOOOIN TO TEH BEAH
GOOOIOIIN T OTEH BEACH
WITH MAH BAYABYUIYYY
GOOINN OT TEHBB BEAHC
GO GOOIIIIIN
 TEO TEH ABC HAETBI ABBABBY
so I guess you've finally snapped.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 13, 2011, 12:33:39 AM »

Were it the case.

The worst of times? You jest imo. A bit of the real, unfiltered Brian (that's not to say his recent output is somehow not real) can not be a bad thing, if that's what you were going for.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: October 13, 2011, 03:41:26 AM »

Were it the case.

The worst of times? You jest imo. A bit of the real, unfiltered Brian (that's not to say his recent output is somehow not real) can not be a bad thing, if that's what you were going for.

Not a Dickens fan, I see.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: October 13, 2011, 05:46:16 AM »

Back to topic, I think what the Beach Boys first need is a real good single. We know it'll turn out to be the Do It Again remake, but that would be sooooo wrong. Nobody wants to hear a re-recording, especially not one of a song that was already a hit. The next best of - which will certainly be released next year or 2013 - would then have two versions of Do It Again. Wrong, wrong, wrong. They need a new song/a new recording of an unreleased song. Something really catchy and nice. There are quite a few unreleased songs that have hit potential and maybe they'll even come up with a new one. To get a hit should be no problem with the right promotion and thanks to the 50th, the reunion and the likely succes of The Smile Sessions, it won't be too hard for the managment to build something around that. Put the Do It Again re-recording on the single as "b-side" or as a bonus track and it'll be allright. "Good kind of love" from Brian's TLOS album was something that had good potential. Same with Soul Searchin and Desert Drive (although these have already been used by Brian solo). I mentioned Brian's unreleased "Do you have any regrets" (a.k.a. I Do) and "I sleep alone". Don't know about the latter, but DYHAR could very well become a hit. The boys and their managemnt just have to do something right for once. TSS is a very good start.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 13, 2011, 06:20:26 AM »

i wonder how often brian rejects ideas that are brought to him. i really have a tough time believing that stuff like lucky old sun or gershwin is 100% his arranging. it feels like he brings something bare to the sessions, and then his band kinda fills in the gaps and overproduces it. to me, there's something that sounds very off and artificial about gershwin/disney/etc.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 13, 2011, 07:29:57 AM »

i wonder how often brian rejects ideas that are brought to him. i really have a tough time believing that stuff like lucky old sun or gershwin is 100% his arranging. it feels like he brings something bare to the sessions, and then his band kinda fills in the gaps and overproduces it. to me, there's something that sounds very off and artificial about gershwin/disney/etc.

I believe "Message Man," "I'm Into Something Good," "Oh Mi Amor" and "Just Like Me and You" are more indicative of what Brian Wilson solo productions sound like in the 2000's.  Like them or not, I don't know if that sound has hit potential in 2011 (not necessarily a bad thing, in my mind).
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx