gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:27:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New studio album (Ocean Way sessions)  (Read 119236 times)
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 11, 2011, 02:18:05 PM »

not  Ocean Way sessions.. just "Ocean Way"
great name for a BB CD.

and if your going to grab a ML solo track for this, Cool Head, Warm Heart  isn't half bad...

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 11, 2011, 02:27:32 PM »

If I hear another rerecording of California Feelin' I'm probably gonna stop liking that song.

Unless it's the 1974 version.  Evil

I've yet to hear a good rendition of the line "pick a grapefruit from a grapefruit tree…".

In my mind the song is irredeemable.

“We live in divisive times.”
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: October 11, 2011, 02:32:07 PM »

IMHO, most of Mike's solo songs need to be put in the can....don't forget to flush.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #203 on: October 11, 2011, 03:10:58 PM »

IMHO, most of Mike's solo songs need to be put in the can....don't forget to flush.
Anything with that much cr@p in it probably would require three or four flushes with some incredibly vigorous plunging  in between.  Or perhaps a much larger model with an extra huge escape route for the rejected material. angel
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 03:12:07 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 11, 2011, 03:31:10 PM »

Good to see you guys are so humble with your opinions........

You know what Mike would do if he didn't get one of his songs on there or at least one with his lyrics, don'tcha?

Hard to believe Mike re-did "Brian's Back" again. Just saw that on YouTube a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe it.  Roll Eyes

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 11, 2011, 03:56:41 PM »

They should just nail it with absolute gold-standard unreleased gems.

Let me set the ball rolling ....

1. Stevie
2. You're Still A Mystery
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 03:58:04 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 11, 2011, 04:05:52 PM »

Call me nuts, but I would love to hear a BB version of Love and Mercy.

Shocked
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 11, 2011, 04:16:45 PM »

I don't understand why people keep asking for re-recordings of old songs they've already heard. Give me 12 new ones!!!
Gee, I still remember how dissapointed people were upon knowing that GIOMH would include so many re-recordings. For me, that weakens previous interest on any album
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 04:26:30 PM by Dr. Lenny » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 11, 2011, 04:20:09 PM »

Good to see you guys are so humble with your opinions........

You know what Mike would do if he didn't get one of his songs on there or at least one with his lyrics, don'tcha?

Hard to believe Mike re-did "Brian's Back" again. Just saw that on YouTube a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe it.  Roll Eyes
Kinda thought the new version of Brian's back was decent compared to the crass 1970s version.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 11, 2011, 04:22:47 PM »

I don't understand why people keep asking for re-recordings of old songs they've already heard. Give me 12 new ones!!!
Gee, I still remember how dissapointed people were upon knowing that GIOMH would include so many re-recordings. For me, that weakens previous interest or any album

Exactly. And not great songs I might add.

These guys still have what it takes to make a great album full of originals. Brian wrote 'Good Kind Of Love' by himself - he has a lot of great tunes left in him I bet....Mike has some great lyrics, and they ALL have great voices right now - why the heck would we want a re-recorded version of Desert Drive or Soul Searchin'?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 11, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »

Of COURSE we want new songs!  No brainer!  But what if the new songs aren't up to snuff and basically suck?  I say throw a couple of re-makes on the fire that deserve to be heard by the mainstream. You know, good solid unreleased tried and true songs that the fan community has heard on bootlegs, but remain unreleased to the public. The instrumental tracks are there, just re-record the vocals or use existing ones. I'm all for new songs - let's see what Brian (and Mike) have up their sleeves. Don't want another "Still Cruisin'" CD, just originals with maybe a few good unreleased ones thrown in. I'll take "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" or "Dancin' The Night Away" or "This Could Be The Night" or "It's Like Heaven" or "Sandy/Sherry She Needs Me" or..........or.........Yeah, that's the ticket!

"Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" would be a given. That song by itself would probably sell the CD.

"Do It Again" has been released 3 or 4 times already in some capacity, but it looks like they've re-recorded it again. Maybe it's a theme song for the new album, who knows.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 04:48:49 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 11, 2011, 04:50:21 PM »

Kinda thought the new version of Brian's back was decent compared to the crass 1970s version.

Who's singing that, Mike's kid?  To me it's inferior compared to the version on the Endless Harmony CD.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 11, 2011, 04:57:53 PM »

Who's singing that, Mike's kid?  To me it's inferior compared to the version on the Endless Harmony CD.
Its Mike's kid Christian singing, i just thought it was crass to write a song with such goofy lyrics about a man only in his mid 30 and understanding his problems. Hope Mike is over his habit of writing songs that reference older Beach Boys songs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: October 11, 2011, 05:17:04 PM »

Regarding re-recordings, etc. Of course I am for new songs and new recordings. I was just saying what would be possible to include Carl's voice. Since some of his vocals are on tracks not finished (like was the case for DFTS), I don't think there would be a problem with finishing them. It would be just for one or two songs like I'd look at it.
But all in all I am OF COURSE for new songs and new recordings. I think I was clear enough from the beginning. I also think that's what most people would want

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 11, 2011, 05:23:14 PM »

Of COURSE we want new songs!  No brainer!  But what if the new songs aren't up to snuff and basically suck?  I say throw a couple of re-makes on the fire that deserve to be heard by the mainstream. You know, good solid unreleased tried and true songs that the fan community has heard on bootlegs, but remain unreleased to the public. The instrumental tracks are there, just re-record the vocals or use existing ones. I'm all for new songs - let's see what Brian (and Mike) have up their sleeves. Don't want another "Still Cruisin'" CD, just originals with maybe a few good unreleased ones thrown in. I'll take "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" or "Dancin' The Night Away" or "This Could Be The Night" or "It's Like Heaven" or "Sandy/Sherry She Needs Me" or..........or.........Yeah, that's the ticket!

"Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" would be a given. That song by itself would probably sell the CD.

"Do It Again" has been released 3 or 4 times already in some capacity, but it looks like they've re-recorded it again. Maybe it's a theme song for the new album, who knows.

I just read today it's supposed to be used for a promo-vid for their reunion shows....http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/58937-unplugging-garbage-is-back-and-so-are-the-beach-boys - though I don't know where they got that info....I need to read up more on this stuff.

No reason why it can't be part of an album as well though.
____

I think Do It Again is a great choice for a re-record - I just don't want the album to be full of them. And songs like 'Wouldn't It Be Nice (To Live Again)' deserve to be a part of a "from the vaults" comp - not a newly recorded Beach Boys record imo.

I'd love a CD full of new songs by the guys - a final goodbye to the many fans. Then have another CD chock full of songs like 'Wouldn't It Be Nice (To Live Again)', the backing track to 'In The Back Of My Mind', etc.

I just think, as a final farewell album, they can do better than 'Desert Drive' and 'Dancin' The Night Away'.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 05:28:46 PM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 11, 2011, 05:27:46 PM »

Regarding re-recordings, etc. Of course I am for new songs and new recordings. I was just saying what would be possible to include Carl's voice. Since some of his vocals are on tracks not finished (like was the case for DFTS), I don't think there would be a problem with finishing them. It would be just for one or two songs like I'd look at it.
But all in all I am OF COURSE for new songs and new recordings. I think I was clear enough from the beginning. I also think that's what most people would want

I see what you're saying - but I don't think it would be fair to us (or more importantly, Carl) if they used a shoddy unreleased song just because it had Carl's voice on it. I don't know the history behind these vaulted songs - they could be masterpieces for all I know - but if 'Don't Fight The Sea' was the best song of the bunch, I'd hate to see what is left....in my humble opinion.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 11, 2011, 05:28:37 PM »

The Beach Boys present "Ocean Way"

Sounds so good
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 05:29:31 PM by Slim Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 11, 2011, 06:24:08 PM »

Ocean Way is not a good album title (imo). It's only slightly better than, say, Keepin' The Summer Alive or Summer In Paradise.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 11, 2011, 06:34:44 PM »

My vote is for: "The Faded Rock Group Revival" album.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2011, 07:09:48 PM »

I just think, as a final farewell album, they can do better than 'Desert Drive' and 'Dancin' The Night Away'.

That is, in my opinion, honestly the best they can do.

We will be lucky if a reunion album has songs of that quality.

I mean, what else has anyone in the group produced in the last 30 years that suggests they can top those songs? Brian has certainly written some good ballads in that time, but have any of his up tempo tunes fared better than these two?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 11, 2011, 07:21:48 PM »

I hasten to add, I think you could have a much better performed and produced version of DD -- something like the Paley sessions backing track, for one, and Mike lead vocals -- and it would go to a different level than the flat rendition on GIOMH.

And we've never heard a completed version of DtNA -- I'd love to hear the whole thing. "Grace of my Heart," too, come to think of it.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 11, 2011, 07:27:22 PM »

I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I think a song like 'Good Kind Of Love' is a far superior song to the aforementioned songs.

Granted, that is one song out of the plethora that Brian has written in last 20 years. Anyways, I see ya'll's point. I'm just trying to be optimistic about the idea that they can blow us away with some incredible original music.

Either way, can't wait to hear what this version of 'Do It Again' sounds like! When do you guys think it will be released?

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 11, 2011, 07:35:44 PM »

I really like Good Kind of Love too, by the way. Great tune. As are lots of things from TLOS. I'm just not sure the difference in quality between it and the best-possible version of DD is that wide.

Am very curious about the Do It Again remake. I really hope it has some sort of added BW tag or backing part. The new tag to "Caroline No" made Stars and Stripes nearly bearable for me!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 11, 2011, 07:43:07 PM »

Honestly, at their core and in their basic elements, Brian has had a bunch of really solid songs of the last twenty years or so. It's just that a good 3/4 of them have  been pissed away due to poor arrangements or other sonic oddities. It's a shame some of them have already seen release, thus preventing them from making a new Beach Boys album and, in all likelihood, being far better executed.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2011, 07:58:43 PM »

Honestly, at their core and in their basic elements, Brian has had a bunch of really solid songs of the last twenty years or so. It's just that a good 3/4 of them have  been pissed away due to poor arrangements or other sonic oddities. It's a shame some of them have already seen release, thus preventing them from making a new Beach Boys album and, in all likelihood, being far better executed.

Absolutely. Brilliant post.

In terms of "sonic oddities," sadly many of them are due to Brian singing lead on these songs. He seems to have a flair for taking the most commercial tune on his records -- South American on Imagination, DD on GIOMH -- and totally whiffing on the lead. His so seldom handles those lyric-driven rockers well.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx