gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:14:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New studio album (Ocean Way sessions)  (Read 118918 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2011, 09:07:28 PM »

the whole "everybody brings a few of their best songs" approach doesn't particularly appeal to me.
It's been the approach from 20/20 onwards LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2011, 09:08:49 PM »

i feel like i can guarantee this'll be the best beach boys album since Love You.  that isn't saying much, but i really have no doubt about that.  and I'd MUCH prefer an album to seeing them on stage trying to sing together.  
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2011, 09:11:24 PM »

I can only imagine the Mike Love song titles

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2011, 09:31:41 PM »

the whole "everybody brings a few of their best songs" approach doesn't particularly appeal to me.

LOL quote of the day!
______

If this new album has the production of BWRG I'll be happy. The guys have the potential to make a GREAT album here. But if this is a Summer In Paradise/Imagination clone, i'll be saddened.

I really like Imagination - but there's no hiding the cheesy production. the Beach Boys need to go out with a bang, not a laugh. If they pull this album off their reputation will grow even more. But if this is a half-hearted attempt at nostalgia* it may turn out bad for them. Time will tell.

*not counting Do It Again - that's a great choice for the album methinks.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2011, 09:35:19 PM »

"Surf Yoga"
"Do it (Again)" feat. Snoop Dog
"Prius Party!!"
"Roller Derby Child"
 Cool
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2011, 09:36:57 PM »

It must really suck being so negative at everything.  I'll bet you tell your wife the sex is going to suck before dinner's even over.  I mean why even try, you're getting old.  LOL Some people just strike me as losers. 

Good one.   Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2011, 09:43:28 PM »

I think if you look at their recent stuff, there's no reason not to think this album is going to be good.  The last thing I heard from Mike was "Cool Head, Warm Heart" which was good, and would have been even better with a half-crazed Brian singing slightly too shrill in the background, and arranging those incredible vocals.  The last stuff I heard from Al Jardine was all pretty good, and the last things I've heard from Brian himself have been great in my opinion.  This is gonna rock!  It's completely possible for Brian Mike and Al to write tons of new music together, or seperately for this album, and if not... Brian's probably got literally hundreds of songs floating around that he's written in the past.  There's plenty of material for them to record. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2011, 09:45:23 PM »

"Surf Yoga"
"Do it (Again)" feat. Snoop Dog
"Prius Party!!"
"Roller Derby Child"
 Cool

LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2011, 09:49:11 PM »

Point taken, and that was all well and good all members were alive, but this time around there's no Carl or Dennis to contribute good material (the latter especially), and I don't think I've heard Al or Bruce put out any decent original material in quite awhile.  So who does that leave...

If you want a good self-contained Beach Boys album with the best quality songwriting, I really think that Mike and Brian are the only legitimate shot we've got.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2011, 09:56:34 PM »

Point taken, and that was all well and good all members were alive, but this time around there's no Carl or Dennis to contribute good material (the latter especially), and I don't think I've heard Al or Bruce put out any decent original material in quite awhile.  So who does that leave...

If you want a good self-contained Beach Boys album with the best quality songwriting, I really think that Mike and Brian are the only legitimate shot we've got.

So, in other words, it's business as usual?  Oh that really sucks!  You mean all we have left is maybe the second or third best songwriting team of all time?  Damn I hate it when that happens. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2011, 09:57:57 PM »

Hoping Joe Thomas is only involved with the vocals because that was the only thing he did well on Imagination.

Drummer Eddie Bayers' involvement would seem to dash your hope. 
Great, Imagination Vol. 2 featuring the Beach Boys....
Imagination was very much of its time. Popular music these days doesn't sound like that, it sounds more like Love You actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6XpLQM2Cs&ob=av2n

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2011, 10:01:43 PM »

You gotta have AT LEAST two tracks with Carl's voice on it. Soul Searchin' and Don't Fight The Sea have been mentioned for starters.  Even if they re-record a released track. Without 2-3 tracks of Carl's voice on there, it just wouldn't be a Beach Boys record to me. It would be Dennis' voice would be a big bonus. There's gotta be more in the can with Carl's and Dennis' voice on there. Dave's voice would be an added bonus for sure. But to release another Nascar-like CD without all their voices would be somewhat dismal.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2011, 10:36:39 PM »

I've been thinking about this for the last hour, like I was saying earlier... imagine "Cool Head, Warm Heart" with Brian singing backup.  That would be great, in my opinion.  Even the wall of Brian.

I think the problem with the Wall of Brian is when Brian himself does the lead!  If he did the wall of Brian, and Mike Love did lead, that would probably work great. 

What would be even better, though, is if amazingly we got the chance to see.... or hear... some of MIKE'S band shine!  I'd LOVE to hear Christian Love on some stuff.  I always thought 'oh, he's probably half-assed since he's Mike's son or whoever" but then I saw them somewhere on t.v. singing "Kokomo" live, and he was singing Carl's parts.  He's actually, really, really good! 

So maybe not leads, but I'd really like to hear vocals by Brian and Mike's band do backup on some of these songs.  I'm not sure that would make for a good album if they swapped it out, but it's a bit offensive to me how Mike's band kind of gets no respect.  Sure Brian's band is better, but different songs in a perfect world could utilize different backup vocals. 
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2011, 10:42:50 PM »

So, in other words, it's business as usual?  Oh that really sucks!  You mean all we have left is maybe the second or third best songwriting team of all time?  Damn I hate it when that happens. 

Nowhere in my post did I say (or even imply) that Brian and Mike teaming up was a bad thing.  If Brian brings some good melodies to the table and Mike rediscovers his 60's/early 70's lyrical skills, it certainly has the potential to be a great album.  I've said it before, I think that as a songwriting team, Brian and Mike still have a lot to say, and just might push each other to create songs that are truly worthy of a project of this weight.  I was merely saying that in terms of songwriting, I can't foresee the others being able to make any worthwhile contributions, thus why I don't think the "hodge-podge" approach is the best way to go (I make an exception for any song that could involve Dennis or Carl).
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2011, 10:49:12 PM »

Al was suspended from the band when Recording started for SIP, yet his vocals are one of the few highlights of the album. Who says it is necessary for everyone to be all kissy, kissy to make music.

But we're talkin' Summer In Paradise here.  That's kind of like saying writing your will is one of the few highlights of dying of a terminal disease.   

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2011, 11:15:47 PM »

Hate to be a downer but again......The source is someone tweeting while taking a sh!t!

This person may not know the Beach Boys from the Beastie Boys. In to record comes Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys and it 'is ' the Beach Boys suddenly.

To the insider who got upset about a subject earlier, now may be a good time to speak up.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2011, 11:20:56 PM »

Could be, but he says "Listening to new Beach Boys WITH Brian Wilson"

So he's, in that 1 tweet, making a distinction between the Beach Boys, and Brian Wilson.  Also he put the capitol (LOL) letters in himself, which could mean that he's showing you that it's a Beach Boys song including Brian Wilson, or he could mean that he's listening to new Beach Boys music, and Brian Wilson is listening to it with him.

I think it's pretty obvious that the tweeter realizes that there's a difference between a Brian Wilson song and a Beach Boys song, or he would have said "Listening to new Brian Wilson song WITH Brian Wilson". 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2011, 03:55:13 AM »

Hoping Joe Thomas is only involved with the vocals because that was the only thing he did well on Imagination.

Brian was responsible for Imagination's vocals afaik.
BTW I never heard Joe Thomas was involved in any way. Where was that mentioned? IIRC he was let go of Brian's camp therefor I can't see him being back in what ever form.

The other point, yes TSS will get people interested in new product from the Beach Boys but only for a short time. Smile is probably the most famous album in rock history with such a big myth surrounding it. The papers will make a big story of it's release and it will sell quite some copies. If the Beach Boys get their asses up and make a good new album that's not on the SIP-nostalgia way that Mike preffered for a long time (but now doesn't seem that much interested in to my ears) but features good/great new pop songs, boy-girl (why not, it's THE theme for pop music ever since it started) maybe even some "It's not easy being me" stuff - that could do very well for them. Smile's release is a very big promotion for every other Beach Boys release that comes after it (and only "Beach Boys" - it will have no big effect on solo products).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2011, 04:02:10 AM »

Do not hype Soul Searchin'. Carl's is a rough lead, a working vocal, not a finished one. For years he refused to release Soulful ol' man sunshine for that very same reason: his lead was not up to his standard. As cool as it is, I wonder if Carl would have liked to release his Soul Searchin' vocal (which it was, btw, on GIOMH).

And could someone confirm where the Joe Thomas involvement information comes from?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 04:03:36 AM by Dr. Lenny » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2011, 04:45:16 AM »

As cool as it is, I wonder if Carl would have liked to release his Soul Searchin' vocal (which it was, btw, on GIOMH).

The rough version of the Beach Boys version is so much better, albeit lacking some of the cool backup vocals of the 04 Brian version. It'd be cool to see it finished properly.

Hate to say this, but Carl's not really here to put his word in on these matters. Since his passing, these tracks you spoke of have been released. Obviously respect and care should be utilized if hey do reinvent something that he contributed to, but still. Carl sounds damn good on "Soul Seachin'" and "Soulful Old Man Sunshine", he's not gonna convince me otherwise.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2011, 05:09:21 AM »

I don't trust tweeters. I'm a woofer man myself.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2011, 05:17:05 AM »

Second or third best of all time. You're not serious! I'd love to know what your first two are. Let me guess, Lennon and McCartney at number one. Of course!! Because musical history only began 50 years ago didn't it? Don't make ridiculous statements like this. I mean, I love Brian Wilson, and he is fantastic within his genre, but of all time 
Come on........
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2011, 05:20:34 AM »

I don't think the tweet means anything much really - probably just the DIA re-recording.

I for one hope that there IS NOT a NEW Beach Boys album being released - it will be compromised creatively and will stain the legacy they already have.

Sorry to be negative

Cheers

Richard
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2011, 05:22:58 AM »

Hate to be a downer but again......The source is someone tweeting while taking a sh!t!

This person may not know the Beach Boys from the Beastie Boys. In to record comes Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys and it 'is ' the Beach Boys suddenly.

To the insider who got upset about a subject earlier, now may be a good time to speak up.

am i missing what the bathroom has to do with anything?  are you trying to say that cause he tweeted a picture of what the bathroom looks like at the studio (obviously showing the posters on the wall) that he has no credibility?  i mean he said he's listenign to the music with brian wilson and then posted a picture of him and brian wilson. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2011, 05:25:34 AM »

Brian was responsible for Imagination's vocals afaik.
BTW I never heard Joe Thomas was involved in any way. Where was that mentioned? IIRC he was let go of Brian's camp therefor I can't see him being back in what ever form.

The other point, yes TSS will get people interested in new product from the Beach Boys but only for a short time. Smile is probably the most famous album in rock history with such a big myth surrounding it. The papers will make a big story of it's release and it will sell quite some copies. If the Beach Boys get their asses up and make a good new album that's not on the SIP-nostalgia way that Mike preffered for a long time (but now doesn't seem that much interested in to my ears) but features good/great new pop songs, boy-girl (why not, it's THE theme for pop music ever since it started) maybe even some "It's not easy being me" stuff - that could do very well for them. Smile's release is a very big promotion for every other Beach Boys release that comes after it (and only "Beach Boys" - it will have no big effect on solo products).
Brian made up with Thomas apparently this summer  and Thomas' drummer Eddie Bayers, was commenting on playing recent reunion recordings in the recent rolling stone. Shocked
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:21:45 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx