gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:34:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New studio album (Ocean Way sessions)  (Read 118895 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 12:45:20 PM »

I'm skeptical towards a new album. I'd love one more *great* BB album, but I have a feeling this is going to include a smattering of covers and newly recorded versions of unreleased songs. I'd like an album built from the ground up of all new material, stuff that's really designed to stand together, rather than just some adult-contempo versions of songs that will never be better than the originals.
The BB should have really worked with a hip producer. Look what Jack White did for Loretta Lynn. There are so many bands out there right now that would probably love to work with Brian. An all new album produced by Panda Bear? That would really have a chance to stand up with the better BB material, to be a buzzed about album. But I'm expecting really a tasteful yet mediocre reunion album that won't make up for the last 20-30 years of the bands career

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 01:11:55 PM »

Both can coexist, of course, but bring me the new studio album anytime over the Smle box.

You are joking surely!
othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 01:36:12 PM »

I'm skeptical towards a new album. I'd love one more *great* BB album, but I have a feeling this is going to include a smattering of covers and newly recorded versions of unreleased songs. I'd like an album built from the ground up of all new material, stuff that's really designed to stand together, rather than just some adult-contempo versions of songs that will never be better than the originals.
The BB should have really worked with a hip producer. Look what Jack White did for Loretta Lynn. There are so many bands out there right now that would probably love to work with Brian. An all new album produced by Panda Bear? That would really have a chance to stand up with the better BB material, to be a buzzed about album. But I'm expecting really a tasteful yet mediocre reunion album that won't make up for the last 20-30 years of the bands career

Do you really think Brian, or any of the Beach Boys for that matter, would be comfortable having Jack White or Panda Bear in the studio producing their album? They'd be scared to death.

I seem to recall something akin to this being tried before with the guy from The High Llamas. Brian's response after leaving the studio was something to the effect of..."I don't need some young guy telling me how to do things I'd already done 30 years ago."

What the Beach Boys need is a professional producer with a solid reputation or at least someone who can take their sound to interesting places while still remaining faithful and appropriate. Rick Rubin, Dave Friddman, maybe even Brian Eno. One thought that would be interesting, although a long shot, would be Beck. He's been producing albums for awhile now and I know from listening to interviews that he is a pretty huge Beach Boys fan. He could bring a really interesting perspective to the album but be restrained enough to keep it acceptable. Acceptable yet forward thinking.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2011, 01:42:11 PM »

Just need a producer who respects the strengths of the group and doesn't try to make them record in mold they don't want to record in. Just let the boys record their way with hints and suggestions along the way.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
oldsurferdude
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 01:49:02 PM »

I have often wondered about an Eno produced BW effort. Cool
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 01:49:58 PM »

Do you really think Brian, or any of the Beach Boys for that matter, would be comfortable having Jack White or Panda Bear in the studio producing their album? They'd be scared to death.

I seem to recall something akin to this being tried before with the guy from The High Llamas. Brian's response after leaving the studio was something to the effect of..."I don't need some young guy telling me how to do things I'd already done 30 years ago."

What the Beach Boys need is a professional producer with a solid reputation or at least someone who can take their sound to interesting places while still remaining faithful and appropriate. Rick Rubin, Dave Friddman, maybe even Brian Eno. One thought that would be interesting, although a long shot, would be Beck. He's been producing albums for awhile now and I know from listening to interviews that he is a pretty huge Beach Boys fan. He could bring a really interesting perspective to the album but be restrained enough to keep it acceptable. Acceptable yet forward thinking.

No, let Brian produce the thing with hep by Daria and Scott. Look at his latest efforts, they were very good. The Beach Boys don't need any new directions, just great songs with a fitting production. The album doesn't have to be the best record ever made. It just has to be great and tastefull. It'll certainly be the last Beach Boys album, so they should end with some very good pop music.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 01:51:03 PM »

Just need a producer who respects the strengths of the group and doesn't try to make them record in mold they don't want to record in. Just let the boys record their way with hints and suggestions along the way.

Spector
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 01:55:48 PM »

Spector
Phil Spector on work-release produces Brian on "be my baby." LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 02:02:32 PM »

Any indication that anyone else than BW/BB produced the Do It Again session this summer? A new BW produced BB album would be great to have, no matter how it sounds, if that makes any sense. Perfect career closer.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 02:12:30 PM »

No, let Brian produce the thing with hep by Daria and Scott. Look at his latest efforts, they were very good. The Beach Boys don't need any new directions, just great songs with a fitting production. The album doesn't have to be the best record ever made. It just has to be great and tastefull. It'll certainly be the last Beach Boys album, so they should end with some very good pop music.

Agreed. Past experience with outside producers has not been successful. Brian is the BBs producer, period. Darn it! You have Brian Wilson on board! BRIAN WILSON!! And people wanna call an outsider?

The Sean O'Hagan attempt was a fiasco. Joe Thomas? Steve Levine, with the BBS doing Culture Club? Or Brian doing ELO with Jeff Lynne? Or the IJWMFTT "black" approach with Don Was? Or fan-producer coming up with unconvincing Wilsonesque pastiche? Furthermore, it seems like I'm the only Terry Melcher enthusiast on this board.

Leave hip producers for the hipsters. Let Brian Wilson produce the Beach Boys. If he needs technical support, he'll have it. And who cares if the album is a masterpiece or not? That's not the point. It's all about these guys standing around a microphone, and those two cousins writing together.

This time it's not about music. It's about history. It's about coming full circle fifteen years after the latest try.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:18:48 PM by Dr. Lenny » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 02:17:31 PM »

I'm going to continue to be a downer on this and truly believe that any new music from what's left of the band is going to be forgettable at best.  Are we fans that naive to honestly think that something magically is going to happen if these guys get back together?  Brian Wilson seems completely disinterested in a reunion when asked in interviews.  He also apparently hasn't written anything new in years.  I'm just not that interested in this idea.

Although admittingly I'd love to see an official release of the Beach Boys version of "Soul Searchin'"...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 02:19:02 PM »

^^ There's also no Santa Claus. 

Why be 'a downer' ?  To hell with that.  This is going to be great!  Bring it on!  Glad to hear it's being recorded.  Also glad to hear the twitter person say that it sounds fantastic.  Yay!  I have my 15 bucks sitting here in my wallet, already earmarked for this album.  Get it to me.  I'll take one. 
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2011, 02:22:06 PM »

I'm going to continue to be a downer on this and truly believe that any new music from what's left of the band is going to be forgettable at best.  Are we fans that naive to honestly think that something magically is going to happen if these guys get back together?  Brian Wilson seems completely disinterested in a reunion when asked in interviews.  He also apparently hasn't written anything new in years.  I'm just not that interested in this idea.

Although admittingly I'd love to see an official release of the Beach Boys version of "Soul Searchin'"...

agreed

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2011, 02:25:59 PM »

Why be 'a downer' ?  To hell with that.  This is going to be great!  Bring it on!  Glad to hear it's being recorded.  Also glad to hear the twitter person say that it sounds fantastic.  Yay!  I have my 15 bucks sitting here in my wallet, already earmarked for this album.  Get it to me.  I'll take one. 

Agreed.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2011, 02:29:44 PM »

Agreed.

I'm in. As a career closer for the band, it can't be any worse than Stars & Stripes or SIP and given BW's recent form it could be good. A much better note to bow out on, and a fitting way to mark their 50th, however it turds turns out.

“We live in divisive times.”
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2011, 02:46:14 PM »

To what extent does Brian even produce or arrange anymore? The newer records have nice production, in that they sound professional, but they don't have interesting production.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2011, 02:50:15 PM »

One thing of concern to me is when has this been done? A album often takes months to record yet Mikes group and Brian have been doing their usual touring which leads me to think its not happening or, group members go in at different times to record.

Come to think of it. The perfect way to celebrate 50 years. No plan, disjointed, piecemeal and a complete lack of unity!

edit.

And let me get this straight. The source is some guy tweeting from the can!!!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:52:35 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2011, 03:00:02 PM »

It would be cool with a new BB album as long as Terry Melcher doesn´t produce! They should get some one like Rick Rubin to do it.
He made Johnny Cash´s albums sound fantastic to both an ageing and new audience!
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2011, 03:06:17 PM »

It would be cool with a new BB album as long as Terry Melcher doesn´t produce! They should get some one like Rick Rubin to do it.
He made Johnny Cash´s albums sound fantastic to both an ageing and new audience!

Since Terry Melcher died in 2004 I don't think you have much to worry about.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2011, 03:07:03 PM »

This time it's not about music. It's about history. It's about coming full circle fifteen years after the latest try.

What is this? Wouldn't reunion shows accomplish the same thing?

I said this some time ago:

Honestly, a final Beach Boys album feels somewhat necessary considering the outright bizarre way things were left in the 90s (and even the 80s to a lesser extent). A few key tracks that were never finished being brought back, specifically a couple from the scrapped 90s sessions (and, of course, utilizing Carl's vocals whenever possible), getting Brian, Al, Mike, Bruce, and David involved in the project, have Darian in the picture somewhere because he knows his sh*t and has shown he knows what's tasteful with arrangements, possibly work on a lost Dennis track or two (again, tastefully), keep re-recordings of classic tracks and too blatant retreads of the surf material to a minimum (as to avoid Summer in Paradise II), etc. etc. etc.

With the right producer (and considering the quality of some of the stuff on That Lucky Old Sun), I honest to goodness think they'd be capable of pulling off something on par with a lesser late 60s album. Their songwriting isn't what it used to be, their voices aren't what they used to be, they're getting on in age, but I'll be damned if an aged and lesser Beach Boys isn't still capable of work every bit as affective as it used to be IF (BIIIG if) they have the right people in their corner on this.

Doesn't Matt Jardine have a somewhat late 60s Brian-esque falsetto? Doesn't one of Carl's sons have really good Carl-esque voice? I'd love to hear the right people assisting the main surviving Beach Boys members with this stuff - not because they simply sound like other folks in Beach Boys history, but because they have the skills and they're of Beach Boys blood.

I can dream, can't I? *gets genuinely sad to a small extent* Sad

Granted I didn't mention anything about an outside producer, but I really don't think it'd be the worst idea if the right person was chosen. Someone who can bring out Brian's "producer" as much as possible, someone who can say "This isn't working. This sucks and the majority of your fanbase will hate it" or "What the f*** were you just playing? Sounds great, let's try going somewhere with that."

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2011, 03:11:14 PM »

Brian is writing songs again.

“I went for about four years without writing a single song,” Wilson said. “Then all of a sudden I started writing a whole bunch of songs again.

"When it comes it comes, when it doesn’t it doesn’t.”

http://napa.patch.com/articles/beach-boys-brian-wilson-comes-to-napa
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2011, 03:14:49 PM »

One thing of concern to me is when has this been done? A album often takes months to record yet Mikes group and Brian have been doing their usual touring which leads me to think its not happening or, group members go in at different times to record.

Come to think of it. The perfect way to celebrate 50 years. No plan, disjointed, piecemeal and a complete lack of unity!

edit.

And let me get this straight. The source is some guy tweeting from the can!!!

Well, these could still be try-out sessions. It would only take a day to work on a song or two, as a big ensemble emailed parts to learn beforehand, or a smaller group learning them on the day. I mean, no-one is saying an albums in the can.

It's difficult - we do have a lot of sources saying BW is writing new material, apart from BW. Maybe he's been instructed to keep people off the scent, maybe they're reworking old material. Brian has been re-recording older songs lately (apparently where the last few studio pics on Facebook come from). We don't know enough.

Tellingly, Mike is saying there are new BW songs. He hasn't said he's been writing lyrics for them, just that he wants to.

I'd like this a lot if it turned out well - Whilst Brian has had his indian summer in the last decade, and deservedly so, Mike, Bruce and Al should get one too. Of course, they could f*ck it up  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 03:17:56 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2011, 03:25:25 PM »

It always amuses me how much people crave "closure" with this band.  If you really need to have a Hollywood ending, go watch a Disney flick (or listen to Brian's forthcoming Disney album  Razz).

Considering they have been one of the most dysfunctional groups in the history of rock bands, I don't know why people would expect them to just "get along" and put out something worthwhile.  Two of their key members that could have elevated this reunion to something relevant are dead, and the leader of the group has been on auto-pilot for years.  Look at the music they've recorded as a group in the last 25 years; with the exception of "Kokomo" (*sigh*), none of it is memorable (well I suppose it's memorable in how bad some of it is).  These guys had their chance in the mid-90's to put out something decent with the Don Was sessions, and they blew that in favor of Stars & Stripes, Vol. 1.  With Brian Wilson not particularly interested, I can already picture how this album will go:

Mike Love will supply us with a number of songs that will be overcooked with lame Beach Boys references.  And he'll be sure to rhyme at least several words with "vibrations".  Al Jardine will treat us to even more songs about his fetish with California (maybe he'll even  cover T-Pac's "California Love"  LOL).  Bruce will grin like an idiot and maybe we'll finally be treated to that unnecessary cover of "Proud Mary" that Brian wants to unleash on us.  

Sorry gang; if the band were up to some remarkable new material I'd be all for it.  I just don't think that is even remotely realistic at this stage of the game.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 03:28:25 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2011, 03:27:04 PM »

To what extent does Brian even produce or arrange anymore? The newer records have nice production, in that they sound professional, but they don't have interesting production.

Ah, come on!  These guys made their artistic statement when they were in their 20s. Let them record one last album together. That's it.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »

It always amuses me how much people crave "closure" with this band.  If you really need to have a Hollywood ending, go watch a Disney flick (or listen to Brian's forthcoming Disney album  Razz).

Considering they have been one of the most dysfunctional groups in the history of rock bands, I don't know why people would expect them to just "get along" and put out something worthwhile.  Two of their key members that could have elevated this reunion to something relevant are dead, and the leader of the group has been on auto-pilot for years.  Look at the music they've recorded as a group in the last 25 years; with the exception of "Kokomo" (*sigh*), none of it is memorable (well I suppose it's memorable in how bad some of it is).  These guys had their chance in the mid-90's to put out something decent with the Don Was sessions, and they blew that in favor of Stars & Stripes, Vol. 1.  With Brian Wilson not particularly interested, I can already picture how this album will go:

Mike Love will supply us with a number of songs that will be overcooked with lame Beach Boys references.  And he'll be sure to rhyme at least several words with "vibrations".  Al Jardine will treat us to even more songs about his fetish with California (maybe he'll even  cover T-Pac's "California Love"  LOL).  Bruce will grin like an idiot and maybe we'll finally be treated to that unnecessary cover of Proud Mary that Brian wants to unleash on us.  

Sorry gang; if the band were up to some remarkable new material I'd be all for it.  I just don't think that is even remotely realistic at this stage of the game.

Beach Boy fandom... the record's not even out and people are already hating it

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx