gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:03:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New studio album (Ocean Way sessions)  (Read 118912 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2011, 09:48:18 AM »

Of course musical history began 50 years ago, for songwritin teams. 

Are you mad?

The song, in it's present form can be dated back to at least Elizabethan times. That is to say a verse/chorus structure.

And I was being sarcastic about Lennon/McCartney.

It's time for the baby-boomers version of popular history to end. There was life before the 60's.
Well said, there was great music and culture way before the counterculture. Thats why American Graffiti was such a hit, it was a bittersweet portrait of American before the overrated events in the late 1960s happened. Screw woodstock or monteray, give me the TAMI show anyday with the Beach Boys rocking in their prime.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2011, 09:49:08 AM »

I don't trust tweeters. I'm a woofer man myself.

A woofer in tweeter's clothing.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2011, 09:53:45 AM »

the whole "everybody brings a few of their best songs" approach doesn't particularly appeal to me.
It's been the approach from 20/20 onwards LOL

Point taken, and that was all well and good all members were alive, but this time around there's no Carl or Dennis to contribute good material (the latter especially), and I don't think I've heard Al or Bruce put out any decent original material in quite awhile.  So who does that leave...

If you want a good self-contained Beach Boys album with the best quality songwriting, I really think that Mike and Brian are the only legitimate shot we've got.

So, in other words, it's business as usual?  Oh that really sucks!  You mean all we have left is maybe the second or third best songwriting team of all time?  Damn I hate it when that happens. 

Second or third best of all time. You're not serious! I'd love to know what your first two are. Let me guess, Lennon and McCartney at number one. Of course!! Because musical history only began 50 years ago didn't it? Don't make ridiculous statements like this. I mean, I love Brian Wilson, and he is fantastic within his genre, but of all time 
Come on........

Of course musical history began 50 years ago, for songwritin teams.  I guess you could count Liszt and his wife but they didn't really write lyrics, eh?  Name 3 songwriting teams better than Wilson/Love.  I saw you named 1, it gets harder from there, huh?  Here's a clue: You're immediately off into musical land. 

Lennon/McCartney, Gershwin/Gershwin/Heyward, Lieber/Stoller

Exactly who I was thinking of.  Notice only two of them wrote Rock, so where's that put Wilson/Love?  Glad you agree with me!

Jagger/Richards, John/Taupin, Page/Plant.....  The list goes on.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jason
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2011, 10:24:37 AM »

the whole "everybody brings a few of their best songs" approach doesn't particularly appeal to me.
It's been the approach from 20/20 onwards LOL

Point taken, and that was all well and good all members were alive, but this time around there's no Carl or Dennis to contribute good material (the latter especially), and I don't think I've heard Al or Bruce put out any decent original material in quite awhile.  So who does that leave...

If you want a good self-contained Beach Boys album with the best quality songwriting, I really think that Mike and Brian are the only legitimate shot we've got.

So, in other words, it's business as usual?  Oh that really sucks!  You mean all we have left is maybe the second or third best songwriting team of all time?  Damn I hate it when that happens. 

Second or third best of all time. You're not serious! I'd love to know what your first two are. Let me guess, Lennon and McCartney at number one. Of course!! Because musical history only began 50 years ago didn't it? Don't make ridiculous statements like this. I mean, I love Brian Wilson, and he is fantastic within his genre, but of all time 
Come on........

Of course musical history began 50 years ago, for songwritin teams.  I guess you could count Liszt and his wife but they didn't really write lyrics, eh?  Name 3 songwriting teams better than Wilson/Love.  I saw you named 1, it gets harder from there, huh?  Here's a clue: You're immediately off into musical land. 

Lennon/McCartney, Gershwin/Gershwin/Heyward, Lieber/Stoller

Exactly who I was thinking of.  Notice only two of them wrote Rock, so where's that put Wilson/Love?  Glad you agree with me!

Jagger/Richards, John/Taupin, Page/Plant.....  The list goes on.

Agree on the first two, however...the third? Really? Maybe if it was Page/Plant stealing obscure blues melodies and lyrics, sure.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2011, 10:25:58 AM »

Are all of you guys saying you like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Elvis, and George Gershwin more than you like the Beach Boys?!

If you ask me, the only songwriting teams that stand up to Wilson/Love are Wilson/Asher, Wilson/Parks, and Wilson/Landy/Morgan (that last one's a joke).

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2011, 10:27:47 AM »

Are all of you guys saying you like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Elvis, and George Gershwin more than you like the Beach Boys?!

If you ask me, the only songwriting teams that stand up to Wilson/Love are Wilson/Asher, Wilson/Parks, and Wilson/Landy/Morgan (that last one's a joke).

I agree..

The cream of the crop right there

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2011, 10:29:38 AM »

To tell the truth, I haven't cared much for Led Zep for many years now but no doubt many still hold them in high regard.  

Jason
« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2011, 10:32:52 AM »

The Beach Boys are my favorite band, but it's a situation where the whole is more than the parts. I've had a much more fruitful listening experience with the Beach Boys than any other group. I've always found the Stones and Zeppelin incredibly overrated but I still enjoy them a lot. Elvis is easily the most underrated talent on your list.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2011, 10:37:26 AM »

Why mention Elvis ? Though he did make the songs his own, he didn't write any (except one, maybe two). You are not as blind to reduce Leiber&Stoller to just those ca. 20 songs they wrote for Elvis or that were covered by him, are you ? You have to know about their work if you want to discuss popular music of the 20th century. They might be the most important non-performers. That means songwritin, production, arranging, etc.

Elvis is easily the most underrated talent on your list.

Sorry, this isn't meant personal, but that quote might be one of the more dumb statements I've heard on this board in a long time (as long as it's on topic). Again, not personally meant

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2011, 10:38:39 AM »

Sorry, this isn't meant personal, but that quote might be one of the more dumb statements I've heard on this board in a long time (as long as it's on topic). Again, not personally meant

I was referring in terms to the total package, not Elvis the SONGWRITER.  LOL

You and I both know that Elvis was not a songwriter.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2011, 10:53:20 AM »

Why mention Elvis ? Though he did make the songs his own, he didn't write any (except one, maybe two). You are not as blind to reduce Leiber&Stoller to just those ca. 20 songs they wrote for Elvis or that were covered by him, are you ? You have to know about their work if you want to discuss popular music of the 20th century. They might be the most important non-performers. That means songwritin, production, arranging, etc.

Right, right, I know they did more than Elvis, it just fit in with what I was doing by taking the songwriting teams people mentioned and attaching an artist to them. It was the one I was the least confident about doing so with though.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2011, 10:56:13 AM »

You're better off lumping Lieber/Stoller in with R&B and blues artists, not Elvis. They were never into rock 'n roll. They were just two guys who wanted to write some good R&B.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2011, 10:58:28 AM »

yeah, originally I wrote "the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, classic rhythm and blues, and George Gershwin", but that just didn't look right.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2011, 11:02:15 AM »

yeah, originally I wrote "the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, classic rhythm and blues, and George Gershwin", but that just didn't look right.

One day the whole of human civilisation will be gone, and our greatest achievements with it. It's all meaningless. It's all pointless.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2011, 11:03:59 AM »

I know what you meant. Won't change my post.

Re: Leiber & Stoller
Although they started with R'n'B and it was their first love, there's so much more to them than that. It's the same as with Elvis, you just can't reduce them to that one genre.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2011, 11:08:06 AM »

Then please explain what's dumb about the statement.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2011, 11:10:41 AM »

One day the whole of human civilisation will be gone, and our greatest achievements with it. It's all meaningless. It's all pointless.
You can apply that logic to anything, so in order to go through life we have to ignore that truth.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2011, 11:22:24 AM »

Y're right… can I have your SMiLE box please?  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2011, 11:26:35 AM »

And?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2011, 12:02:29 PM »

Well, if you knew about Presley's work, his way of taking a song, producing it, singing it, making it come alive, his sheer talent (to keep that expression) you wouldn't have said that. In fact, I was at your side if you were talking about him as a songwriter, because he wasn't one (those 1 1/2 songs he did co-write don't count imo). But talking about the overall musical package there are not many people who come close to that guy.

- Jack Rieley
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2011, 12:06:53 PM »

"It's all meaningless. It's all pointless."

Sort of a self-refuting statement, isn't it?  If it has meaning it proves itself false, but if it doesn't have meaning, well, you see the problem with that, don't you?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:08:22 PM by mypetsounds » Logged

Jason
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2011, 12:16:52 PM »

I was referring in terms to the total package, not Elvis the SONGWRITER.  LOL

Well, if you knew about Presley's work, his way of taking a song, producing it, singing it, making it come alive, his sheer talent (to keep that expression) you wouldn't have said that. In fact, I was at your side if you were talking about him as a songwriter, because he wasn't one (those 1 1/2 songs he did co-write don't count imo). But talking about the overall musical package there are not many people who come close to that guy.

I'm in agreement on all counts. When I said he was underrated I never implied he wasn't talented. I remarked that he was underrated compared to the other talents on Aegir's list (most of which I do find overrated). Not many people appreciate his abilities with regards to making a song his own. He deserves more credit than he gets. I am a huge Elvis fan.

underrated (comparative more underrated, superlative most underrated)

Not given enough recognition for its quality

overrated (comparative more overrated, superlative most overrated)

Given an undue amount of credit for quality or merit in a field; not necessarily related to popularity.

I'd suggest working on your English because I think that you misunderstood "underrated" as "overrated".
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:19:58 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2011, 12:19:21 PM »

Al was suspended from the band when Recording started for SIP, yet his vocals are one of the few highlights of the album. Who says it is necessary for everyone to be all kissy, kissy to make music.

But we're talkin' Summer In Paradise here.  That's kind of like saying writing your will is one of the few highlights of dying of a terminal disease.  
Did you even read what I was getting at? The point was that they do not have to get along to sing well together. I only brought up SIP because Al was on the outs at the time, yet provided some very good vocals on some mediocre songs.

Oh, I read your post, Doc.  But using the Beach Boys' worst album ever recorded as an example kinda kills your argument.  Nothing good came out of that album.  In fact, if global warming really exists, I'm pretty sure this album contributed to it.  

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2011, 12:24:50 PM »

Al was suspended from the band when Recording started for SIP, yet his vocals are one of the few highlights of the album. Who says it is necessary for everyone to be all kissy, kissy to make music.
Again, the worst album thing has nothing to do with my post. It had to do with singing and getting along. Forget I even posted.

But we're talkin' Summer In Paradise here.  That's kind of like saying writing your will is one of the few highlights of dying of a terminal disease.   
Did you even read what I was getting at? The point was that they do not have to get along to sing well together. I only brought up SIP because Al was on the outs at the time, yet provided some very good vocals on some mediocre songs.

Oh, I read your post, Doc.  But using the Beach Boys' worst album ever recorded as an example kinda kills your argument.  Nothing good came out of that album.  In fact, if global warming really exists, I'm pretty sure this album contributed to it. 

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2011, 12:35:36 PM »

I was referring in terms to the total package, not Elvis the SONGWRITER.  LOL

I'm in agreement on all counts. When I said he was underrated I never implied he wasn't talented. I remarked that he was underrated compared to the other talents on Aegir's list (most of which I do find overrated). Not many people appreciate his abilities with regards to making a song his own. He deserves more credit than he gets. I am a huge Elvis fan.

underrated (comparative more underrated, superlative most underrated)

Not given enough recognition for its quality

overrated (comparative more overrated, superlative most overrated)

Given an undue amount of credit for quality or merit in a field; not necessarily related to popularity.

I'd suggest working on your English because I think that you misunderstood "underrated" as "overrated".

Good God, I must apologize a hundred times. I mis-read your post. I'm very sorry. I'd read untalented. Not enough sleep the last days I guess.... embarassing...  Embarrassed

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx