gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:45:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Some of Smile Dispensable?  (Read 11562 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2011, 04:25:05 PM »

I'm reminded of those folks arguing over "Sloop John B" appearing on Pet Sounds.

I'm also reminded of the Smile cover which had text, something to the effect of "GOOD VIBRATIONS GOOD VIBRATIONS GOOD VIBRATIONS"

So the quote from Anderle means nothing at all? We should ignore it, or what?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2011, 04:30:51 PM »

Let me add this to the mix, a quote from David Anderle within a year of when all this happened, and Anderle as manager at that time would have been the liaison for a lot of issues with Capitol, so he was actually there:

"he was forced to put 'Good Vibrations' on, something he never wanted to do was put a single onto the album, but he was forced to do that. For sales. That was another, I'm sure, a minor tragedy for him."

It's been awhile since I've read that interview, but as I recall Anderle was referring to Smiley Smile there, not Smile.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - even if it was referring to Smile, I'm sure Brian knew that there was no way he could leave it off the album even if he wanted to, being that it was their latest single (not to mention being their biggest).  It would have been a losing battle with Capitol no matter what he wanted.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2011, 04:34:52 PM »

Let me add this to the mix, a quote from David Anderle within a year of when all this happened, and Anderle as manager at that time would have been the liaison for a lot of issues with Capitol, so he was actually there:

"he was forced to put 'Good Vibrations' on, something he never wanted to do was put a single onto the album, but he was forced to do that. For sales. That was another, I'm sure, a minor tragedy for him."

Okay, but Anderle was talking about GV being on Smiley Smile.  GV had been out for 11 months when SS was released in mid-September 1967.   Aside from the fact that GV is more Smile than Smiley in terms of production values (i.e., studio vs. homemade), putting a hit single from almost a year earlier on an album is a totally different proposition from putting it on an album in the winter or spring of 1967.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2011, 04:42:38 PM »

It's been awhile since I've read that interview, but as I recall Anderle was referring to Smiley Smile there, not Smile.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - even if it was referring to Smile, I'm sure Brian knew that there was no way he could leave it off the album even if he wanted to, being that it was their latest single (not to mention being their biggest).  It would have been a losing battle with Capitol no matter what he wanted.

Neither of us is 100% right or 100% wrong, unfortunately Anderle was a little ambiguous about which album he was referring to.

The full quote:

David: "Vegetables"
Paul "How was that going to be?"
David: "Not like it is on the album. It's on Smiley Smile, it was changed quite a bit. See, all that stuff was changed, because Brian...none of the tracks are on Smiley Smile. Some of the songs are there, but he's recorded them in the house. "Heroes and Villains", yes, some of the tracks were from the original. Ah...he was forced to put 'Good Vibrations' on, something he never wanted to do was put a single onto the album, but he was forced to do that. For sales. That was another, I'm sure, a minor tragedy for him.

I think what Brian tried to do with Smiley Smile is he tried to salvage as much of Smile as he could and at the same time immediately go into his humor album. Cause it's so - I hear elements in that of our discussions about the humor album, just little pieces of it."

And earlier, at the beginnings of Anderle's involvement, he had to persuade Brian to keep Good Vibrations for himself and the BB's, after Anderle's other client Danny Hutton wanted to record a version and Brian was ready to sell the song off to other artists and move on to other music. Anderle was apparently one of those who convinced him it was "good enough to keep" and more work was done on it.

With that history...the ambiguous quote, the Hutton connection, Brian wanting to give it away, the Asher lyrics, Van Dyke refusing to write lyrics for it, recording for Pet Sounds...it's up for debate at the very least.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2011, 04:45:01 PM »

For me, the final word on this matter is that GV is on BWPS.  In 2003/04, Brian was under no obligation at all to include GV (or anything else) in BWPS.  In fact, one could argue that the need to royalty checks to Mike Love might have motivated Brian and his camp to exclude GV.   And no one would have blamed him.  But he didn't.   GV is there, apparently because he wants it there.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2011, 04:49:51 PM »

Okay, but Anderle was talking about GV being on Smiley Smile.  GV had been out for 11 months when SS was released in mid-September 1967.   Aside from the fact that GV is more Smile than Smiley in terms of production values (i.e., studio vs. homemade), putting a hit single from almost a year earlier on an album is a totally different proposition from putting it on an album in the winter or spring of 1967.

There is a contradiction in Anderle's words as well: He is loud and very clear with this: "something he never wanted to do was put a single onto the album", yet how does that explain not only Good Vibrations but also Heroes (a definite single which was even mixed by Chuck Britz as a single in early '67) and to a lesser degree "Vegetables" which was being bandied about as a potential single (and reported as such).

So what is the nature of that contradiction? Heroes = single = included on Smile and Smiley Smile. Vegetables = possible single = included on Smile. Good Vibrations = single = on Smile. Is it because Good Vibrations was developed before early 1966 that he didn't want to include that "single"? or was Anderle confused or merely blowing smoke?

Yet Brian was against having a single on the album...maybe the phrase from Anderle "he was forced to do that" can take on more or less weight depending on your opinions of the issue.

Been Too Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2011, 04:51:52 PM »

Or the final word could be from 1966 Brian Wilson himself:

New Musical Express,   No. 1036,    18 November 1966

"Meanwhile ... what's Brian doing back at base?"
HOLLYWOOD, Tracy Thomas
While the Beach Boys are rocking Europe, BB-mastermind Brian Wilson, has not been resting on his and their laurels !
This week Brian’s working on the next Beach Boys’ single, another adventure in pop music called “Heroes And Villians,”…

Brian’s also working simultaneously on the next BB album, now entitled “Smile.”
“This LP will include ‘Good Vibrations’ and ‘Heroes And Villains’ and ten other tracks,” says Brian…
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2011, 04:54:57 PM »

For me, the final word on this matter is that GV is on BWPS.  In 2003/04, Brian was under no obligation at all to include GV (or anything else) in BWPS.  In fact, one could argue that the need to royalty checks to Mike Love might have motivated Brian and his camp to exclude GV.   And no one would have blamed him.  But he didn't.   GV is there, apparently because he wants it there.

But using Tony Asher's Pet Sounds-era lyrics, which obviously and definitely would not have been the case on anything dating to 66-67, Smile, Smiley, or otherwise. Those lyrics were discarded and replaced the moment Brian asked Van Dyke to write for the song early in their friendship and Van Dyke refused. Apparently Van Dyke if he were even asked also refused in 2003 because they went back to Asher's discarded verses. It probably would have made more sense to ask VDP for new lyrics, but would that have gone over with the fans? It would have been interesting, for sure.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2011, 05:04:08 PM »

HOLLYWOOD, Tracy Thomas
While the Beach Boys are rocking Europe, BB-mastermind Brian Wilson, has not been resting on his and their laurels !
This week Brian’s working on the next Beach Boys’ single, another adventure in pop music called “Heroes And Villians,”…

“This LP will include ‘Good Vibrations’ and ‘Heroes And Villains’ and ten other tracks,” says Brian…

Find the one where "Vegetables" is named as the next single, it's the one where the meeting with McCartney is reported. Then I'll scan and post clippings detailing Smile as including "The next single Heroes And Villains" and other tracks by name yet not mentioning Good Vibrations, but specifically saying "twelve songs by Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks" (GV not falling under that umbrella) and another small magazine clipping detailing the history behind Good Vibrations stating Dennis was originally supposed to have sung the lead but got laryngitis and couldn't do it. Oh, and the Dennis interview where he claims to be the organ player in the slow section of Good Vibrations.

See the problem with those newspaper and fan-mag clippings?  Smiley

Been Too Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2011, 05:58:20 PM »

HOLLYWOOD, Tracy Thomas

Find the one where "Vegetables" is named as the next single, it's the one where the meeting with McCartney is reported. Then I'll scan and post clippings detailing Smile as including "The next single Heroes And Villains" and other tracks by name yet not mentioning Good Vibrations, but specifically saying "twelve songs by Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks" (GV not falling under that umbrella) and another small magazine clipping detailing the history behind Good Vibrations stating Dennis was originally supposed to have sung the lead but got laryngitis and couldn't do it. Oh, and the Dennis interview where he claims to be the organ player in the slow section of Good Vibrations.

I’m not stating that every article from every magazine is 100% accurate. Some of them, like the one about the Vega-Tables single, are just statements made by the reporter. The one that lists the "twelve songs by Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks," but not GV, is based on a wire from Derek Taylor (article called “Beach Boys’ new disc lasts five minutes” from ’67.) However, the article I was referencing is an interview of Brian Wilson in November 1966 by reporter Tracy Thomas. Being interviewed, Brian makes the statement in November 1966 that: “This LP will include ‘Good Vibrations’ and ‘Heroes And Villains’ and ten other tracks.” It is a direct quote from Brian Wilson, at that time, stating his intentions.

Notice that it is also the only time Good Vibrations is brought up, the rest of the Brian quotes in the article are about Heroes and Villains and staying in touch with the Beach Boys in Europe. Why even bring GV up? So unless Tracy Thomas was just lying and making all kinds of stuff up, Brian Wilson said this. Right???
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »

HOLLYWOOD, Tracy Thomas

I’m not stating that every article from every magazine is 100% accurate. Some of them, like the one about the Vega-Tables single, are just statements made by the reporter. The one that lists the "twelve songs by Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks," but not GV, is based on a wire from Derek Taylor (article called “Beach Boys’ new disc lasts five minutes” from ’67.) However, the article I was referencing is an interview of Brian Wilson in November 1966 by reporter Tracy Thomas. Being interviewed, Brian makes the statement in November 1966 that: “This LP will include ‘Good Vibrations’ and ‘Heroes And Villains’ and ten other tracks.” It is a direct quote from Brian Wilson, at that time, stating his intentions.

Notice that it is also the only time Good Vibrations is brought up, the rest of the Brian quotes in the article are about Heroes and Villains and staying in touch with the Beach Boys in Europe. Why even bring GV up? So unless Tracy Thomas was just lying and making all kinds of stuff up, Brian Wilson said this. Right???

The issue wasn't whether Brian said this because he's quoted - that's obvious. The issue is the sentiment expressed by Anderle; perhaps it was about Smiley Smile, but what if it were not? Was it how Brian perhaps felt about Smile? Can it be proven from that quote either way? I don't think so.

Consider Anderle acting as the manager for Brian and the BB's would have had the most *direct* contact and communications with Capitol on many of these issues. More than perhaps Brian himself, in fact it's safe to assume that was the case. If Capitol said "we need a single to promote the album", would they not have dealt with Anderle who was the manager? His insight is key. If Brian were "forced" to do anything it would have gone through Anderle. What he was exactly forced to do and when is the issue.

Consider a few short points: Who made the decision to add the "Good Vibrations (x3)" banner to the Smile cover, and when was it added? Who made the decision to print adds hyping "the Good Vibrations sound"? It seems like standard practice from record companies, especially Capitol in 1966.

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2011, 08:47:10 PM »

"Dispensable" depends upon the cumulative caloric value of the entire piece. My guess is that since some of the pieces are unfinished, you can't have enough calories. Bring 'em all on!

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Been Too Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2011, 09:20:26 PM »

HOLLYWOOD, Tracy Thomas

The issue wasn't whether Brian said this because he's quoted - that's obvious. The issue is the sentiment expressed by Anderle; perhaps it was about Smiley Smile, but what if it were not? Was it how Brian perhaps felt about Smile? Can it be proven from that quote either way? I don't think so.

Consider Anderle acting as the manager for Brian and the BB's would have had the most *direct* contact and communications with Capitol on many of these issues. More than perhaps Brian himself, in fact it's safe to assume that was the case. If Capitol said "we need a single to promote the album", would they not have dealt with Anderle who was the manager? His insight is key. If Brian were "forced" to do anything it would have gone through Anderle. What he was exactly forced to do and when is the issue.

Consider a few short points: Who made the decision to add the "Good Vibrations (x3)" banner to the Smile cover, and when was it added? Who made the decision to print adds hyping "the Good Vibrations sound"? It seems like standard practice from record companies, especially Capitol in 1966.

See, that’s why I like this article (the Tracy Thomas one.) The story always goes that Smile was compromised by the Beach Boys, the record company, etc. and Brian got down about it but I think this points in the other direction. This is also the first mention of any track list at all that I know of and it’s 12 tracks and includes GV, a good month before the disputed handwritten list. The Beach Boys hadn’t come back from Europe yet to “complain about all that weird music” and Good Vibrations had only just broken into the top 10, only been on the charts a few weeks.

As far as the cover goes, there is a memo dated 11/14/66 to Queens Litho stating: “CHANGE STEREO BAR ON NO T-2580 BEACH BOYS TO DUOPHONIC BAR FROM T-2545. IT PRINTS ALL BLACK.”
So if there is a version of the cover with a stereo bar on it that also includes the 3x’s Good Vibes then it is from sometime before the middle of November meaning the design goes back a reasonable amount of time before that. Good Vibrations was just starting to become a hit at the time the memo came out, two weeks earlier it was just entering into the top 40, at #38 so it was barely a hit. Now in July 1967 I could see Capitol pushing this #1 hit on a record but a #38 in October 1966 seems a little less important.

Also, you mention Brian’s feelings about Smile, being compromised and all. Ok, this actual interview must have taken place between November 11, 1966 (the previous issue of NME) and November 14, 1966 (the last Beach Boys date in Europe, since the article is about the Boys being in Europe) so we can hear exactly how Brian felt about Smile at the time: the Vega-Tables arguments (with Hal) took place on the 16th.

Finally, the Anderle interview. Reading that first little bit it’s hard to understand but with seeing the whole statement I read it like this:

David says, “Some of the songs are there, but he's recorded them in the house.”

Then he goes on to qualify that statement with the two tracks not rerecorded at the house:

“ "Heroes and Villains", yes, some of the tracks were from the original.”

AND

“Ah...he was forced to put 'Good Vibrations' on,”

So he is talking about what was recorded and not recorded at the house… Smiley Smile.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2011, 12:37:25 AM »

Barnyard, Vegetables? Are they the Yellow Submarines of Smile?

You just named two of my favourite tracks..

Three of mine.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2011, 12:03:14 PM »

Parts of the interview are cryptic and ambiguous, I still think some quotes could have several meanings. But where Anderle had said specifically that Brian did not want to put a single onto the album, number one it's possible to connect the dots but we still can't confirm he was talking about Smiley Smile from what's included in the interview. And as you suggested earlier, Good Vibrations was the single in Fall-Winter 1966-67...it was old news. Heroes And Villains was the much-hyped single. Did Brian have a problem with that single going on Smiley Smile, or was it just the previous single GV? That's not clear: It's left to assume, and that only goes so far. So was Brian against the entire practice of interrupting the flow of an album at that time with a single, or just a single from the previous "season" of record sales?

Keep in mind all labels and major bands did this. "Daydream Believer" was put on Birds Bees & Monkees well past its shelf life to push sales of that album. It was cut during Pisces Aquarius. Look at what Capitol did with Beatles singles in the US! A hodge-podge, a mish-mash of releases to create albums like Magical Mystery Tour...which contained "old" singles as well. It was standard practice. Perhaps Brian's problem was with the practice.

And consider this: Smiley Smile was released on Brother Records under the supervision of the band working first through Anderle's management and then through whoever took over. Part of the lawsuit settlement in Spring '67 was that the Beach Boys would have this new label and would have a say in what got released. "Brian And Mike", "Gettin Hungry", anyone? That was a good single?

So how could Capitol "force" anything like GV going onto Smile if the band won the ability to control the releases on their own label, Brother? Again, Anderle was *the* manager of Brother who instigated the lawsuit and helped set the terms with the legal team. Why would he use the word "forced" relating to GV when the BB's had control over their label? Or was that control through Brother less than we assume it was relating to Smiley Smile?

rogerlancelot
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2011, 06:20:13 PM »

Interesting to note in contrast to putting a single on an album that Brian had a habit of putting an album track from the previous album on a current single as a b-side. I believe that even extended up to "Long Promised Road" b/w "Dierdre" even though that probably wasn't his sole decision at the time.

Maybe it wasn't strictly Capitol but Brian himself who made the fans have to keep purchasing the same material?
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2011, 07:59:45 AM »

'Forced' could simply have meant that Crapitol leant on Brian and that Brian was too weak mentally to resist at that point.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:02:33 AM by harrisonjon » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2011, 08:48:32 AM »

Hey, Harrison, I think you're the only one on this board who would refer to Capitol as "Crapitol" at this point.  What has Capitol Records done wrong lately, eh? With all the good stuff they've put out (Beatles & Beach Boys) the last 20+ years (and still to come) what is it that warrants calling them "Crapitol"? I'll bet Capitol employees would really appreciate reading your post here. Just dumb.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx