gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:16:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Some of Smile Dispensable?  (Read 11587 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 12:11:52 AM »

I've never really understood why or how some people consider Good Vibrations part of SMiLE. Yes, I know it most likely would have been included had the album been released in 1967, but to me it just doesn't fit. Parts of it are included in Look, but that's about as much of a connection as I can make out of Good Vibrations being part of SMiLE.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 12:18:10 AM »

I've never really understood why or how some people consider Good Vibrations part of SMiLE. Yes, I know it most likely would have been included had the album been released in 1967, but to me it just doesn't fit. Parts of it are included in Look, but that's about as much of a connection as I can make out of Good Vibrations being part of SMiLE.

Fair enough. For you, it doesn't fit.  For others, it does fit.  And one of those "others" is a certain Brian D. Wilson.  So it's on there.  And it's the only track listed on the front cover.  Three times. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 12:44:14 AM »

Perhaps it fits better with the mood of the album, rather than musically. I guess you could say that GV is a "happy song". It kind of does fit with the overall concept or "theme" of the album, now that I think about it.  Grin

John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 01:27:38 AM »

Perhaps it fits better with the mood of the album, rather than musically. I guess you could say that GV is a "happy song". It kind of does fit with the overall concept or "theme" of the album, now that I think about it.  Grin

At the time that Brian was doing Pet Sounds he was composing songs or 'feels' using descending scales on the piano mainly. This was strongly influenced by J.S Bach in particular. By the end of Pet Sounds Brian moved on to composing songs using 'two-chord' progressions. One can see this especially in the last track recorded for Pet Sounds, "Here Today". The inverted chord bass lines that feature in Here Today also feature in Good Vibrations and on a lot of SMiLE tracks, the only difference is that these tracks feature ascending scales also, hence why they sound 'happy'.

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 02:32:58 AM »

Hi John,

Not saying that Bach *wasn't* an influence on Brian, but he doesn't seem to have mentioned it much. Gershwin, Lawrence Welk, the Four Freshmen and Chuck Berry, yes, but not JSB that I recall. Although he did say in his pseudo-biography that God Only Knows was influenced by John Sebastian... but that's someone else altogether, and may have been completely mangled by the ghost writers, or indeed made up from thin air for that book.

I'm also not sure about the use of descending scales in Pet Sounds, and ascending scales in SMiLE, and a consequently sad/happy split between them. Here Today features a descending *and* ascending scale bass run, and I'm not sure it's a 'sad' tune. Reflective, perhaps, a tad regretful, possibly, but not maudlin... And is 'I'm Waiting For The Day', sad? More *defiant*, if anything. Similarly, not all SMiLE songs can be said to be happy or have ascending scales. In Cabin Essence, the cellos ascend and descend. In H&V the verse vocal melody does nothing BUT descend. And is Cabin Essence 'happy'? Is... 'The Old Master Painter'? Surf's Up?

I don't think this stuff fits neatly into categories. It's art composed by someone talented who frequently worked in a very instinctive way... and music like that doesn't often fit into simple patterns or pigeonholes.

Matt
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 02:34:54 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 03:56:57 AM »

The one thing he mentions specifically pertaining to Bach is the 'shuffle' of California Girls. Cos I'm an idiot, I don't know the name of the piece, but it's the same one as Lady Lynda, right?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 04:26:36 AM »

Well, Lady Lynda was based on 'Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring' (which I used to sing as a throughly naughty, non-believing choirboy)... but I don't get the shuffle reference off that tune...?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 04:47:55 AM »

Wish I could remember the interviews in which he does it - He's said it a lot this year.... I think in this interview? I can't listen to it atm http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2011/05/24/brian-wilson-clip/

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 06:30:14 AM »

"Brian Farts Into The Piano" although not influenced by Bach (Mozart perhaps?) still has a flow about it. Maybe it will surface as an extra track with a Best Buy purchase of the boxed set.

Edit: I forgot to mention that although the melody of BFITP at first ascends it drops off in a descending manner. Still sounds happy as phuck to me!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:32:42 AM by Hugh Jasphart » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 07:59:10 AM »

I used to hold your opinion, but after really listening to the album, and then reading/talking it over here, I changed my mind.

I think 'Good Vibrations' has a great cousin in 'Cabinessence' - it has the buildup of the chorus, the cellos, the amazing coda. Also, Good Vibrations fits the boy-girl theme in wonderful. I was told, by a fellow member here, that Good Vibrations is a kind of 5th element - the ethereal element that binds us all together. So there is connection - personally I see it as the song that binds it all together.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 09:35:51 AM »

The album cover says "good vibrations" 3 times and the radio spot plays GV. So yeah I think that sufficient evidence that the song would have ended up on the album.
rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 09:38:19 AM »

"Brian Farts Into The Piano"
I believe that this track is the missing "Air" portion of the Elements suite. Brian described this section as a short piano thing, and this fits the bill.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2011, 09:40:43 AM »

The album cover says "good vibrations" 3 times and the radio spot plays GV. So yeah I think that sufficient evidence that the song would have ended up on the album.

Hence why he said it would have most likely been included on the album. Roll Eyes

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2011, 12:08:36 PM »

Oh yeah, my bad. No need to roll your eyes at me.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2011, 12:13:45 PM »

Hence why he said it would have most likely been included on the album. Roll Eyes
Well wait a minute, how does GV 3X equate to "most likely"? How about definitely (at least at the point that the album cover was created)?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2011, 12:35:39 PM »

Well wait a minute, how does GV 3X equate to "most likely"? How about definitely (at least at the point that the album cover was created)?

Fair enough.

Didn't mean to come off like a jackass lol. I do see what Sidewinder is saying Cool

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »

Perhaps it fits better with the mood of the album, rather than musically. I guess you could say that GV is a "happy song".

THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!

JAY HAS DISCOVERED THE MISSING PIECE OF SMILE THAT CAN RENDER IT COMPLETE!!!

It was so obvious all this time....why didn't we think of it??

Smile was going to include...."Happy Song"! It's what Brian, Van Dyke, and Eck conceived!!!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2011, 03:55:44 PM »

[/quote]

You people are overlooking the  obvious.  3X means GV would appear on the album three times, once in the single version, once in the Asher lyrics and hum de hum vocals, and once as "Good VibrAtions Pt 2" - an arrangement of five or six sections that were left out of the final mix.
Nicko1234
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »

Vegetables is crap. The sort of bilge that any two stoners could have come up with. Only because it was recorded at that time is it so overrated.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2011, 06:50:06 PM »

Vegetables is crap. The sort of bilge that any two stoners could have come up with. Only because it was recorded at that time is it so overrated.

o okay.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2011, 08:28:58 PM »

Grin

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2011, 06:32:18 AM »

Vega-Tables was actually my least favourite Smile track with the exception of maybe Speeches, until the recent mix for the box set. It's totally transformed the song for me and I think gives a much better sense of what it could have been.

That's interesting - personally, I find the new mix a bit jarring... IMHO of course, I still prefer the Smiley version, and hooray for TSS coming out.

Where has this surfaced? Or did you kids hear it due to your job etc.?

Some Facebook site apparently.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2011, 08:28:58 AM »

wow, that's just wrong

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2011, 04:16:51 PM »

Let me add this to the mix, a quote from David Anderle within a year of when all this happened, and Anderle as manager at that time would have been the liaison for a lot of issues with Capitol, so he was actually there:

"he was forced to put 'Good Vibrations' on, something he never wanted to do was put a single onto the album, but he was forced to do that. For sales. That was another, I'm sure, a minor tragedy for him."

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2011, 04:21:20 PM »

I'm reminded of those folks arguing over "Sloop John B" appearing on Pet Sounds.

I'm also reminded of the Smile cover which had text, something to the effect of "GOOD VIBRATIONS GOOD VIBRATIONS GOOD VIBRATIONS"

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx