gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680870 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 09:43:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Some of Smile Dispensable?  (Read 11606 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2011, 09:01:56 AM »

Barnyard, Vegetables? Are they the Yellow Submarines of Smile?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 09:02:48 AM »

Moderator!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:05:46 AM »

the phrase "on the air" should be ground up and fed to rodents.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 09:06:01 AM »

Huh???   No kiddin', call the moderator.   Roll Eyes

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 09:08:20 AM »

Speeches? BW seems to have thunk so… VDP more so…

“We live in divisive times.”
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 10:14:28 AM »

Huh? Barnyard is one of the coolest things in the Beach Boys canon...and Vegetables is iconic...nothing like it anywhere. My kids really like Yellow Submarine, so i have no problem with that either...but I remember in its time it was very bizarre.
Jason
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 10:15:39 AM »

Everyone in this thread is banned for DARING to insult the LEGACY that is Smile. Harumph!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 10:24:39 AM »

You just named two of my favourite tracks..

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 10:51:19 AM »

Somebody toss this person a carrot.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 11:11:15 AM »

and the Mellow Yellows.  And to my mind Barnyard and Vegetables are two of the best examples of the humor Brian wanted in Smile.  Absolutely essential to the project IMO.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 11:27:45 AM »

Huh? Barnyard is one of the coolest things in the Beach Boys canon...and Vegetables is iconic...nothing like it anywhere. My kids really like Yellow Submarine, so i have no problem with that either...but I remember in its time it was very bizarre.

Yeah have to agree on Barnyard - one of my favourite pieces of Smile. Vega-Tables was actually my least favourite Smile track with the exception of maybe Speeches, until the recent mix for the box set. It's totally transformed the song for me and I think gives a much better sense of what it could have been.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 01:34:24 PM »

Yeah have to agree on Barnyard - one of my favourite pieces of Smile. Vega-Tables was actually my least favourite Smile track with the exception of maybe Speeches, until the recent mix for the box set. It's totally transformed the song for me and I think gives a much better sense of what it could have been.
Its an agree fest...I completely agree with your Vega-Tables assessment. Although I've always loved the quirkiness of it...I'd never heard a mix or edit that wowed me until this new one. It's f'n GREAT.
cutterschoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 01:49:24 PM »

I don't like On a Holiday
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 04:34:49 PM »

I don't like On a Holiday
It's one of my favorite compositions. I love the " Rock, rock and roll, Plymouth Rock rollover" refrain. The rest of the lyric, so-so.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 04:36:42 PM »

if you mean by "child like" like YS then I would say Vegetables,H&V and bicycle rider could be kind of childlike..YS isn't that bad of a song IMO it's fun..it's not their best bbut it's nlot their worst IMO..but if you mean "bad" then I can't say they are bad in any way..
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 07:38:45 PM »

the phrase "on the air" should be ground up and fed to rodents.

lolololololololol

"Barnyard", "Vegetables", etc. are cool as all hell. Lesser than the likes of "Good Vibrations" or "Surf's Up" =/= dispensable.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 08:30:45 PM »

[Oh sh*t, why not?] Yes. Some of Smile is dispensable. Obviously. (Someone or another has thought so for the past 40+ years, anyway. What, there was gleaming gold sitting there and it was withheld for...why, again? Ahead of its time? My ass...) And I'd hazard a guess that every single person here, once over the euphoria of the release (once there is such a thing--still a solid 3+ weeks out and thus worthy of our collective held breath), will admit it. But the specifics? Good luck. Obviously this attraction for him is the detraction for other-him. The best thing about it is that. Inherent contradictions make it interesting on some level to everyone. But then the weakest parts to A are the strongest to B.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 08:33:28 PM »

And I'd hazard a guess that every single person here, once over the euphoria of the release (once there is such a thing--still a solid 3+ weeks out and thus worthy of our collective held breath), will admit it.

I might agree with this if we hadn't had a good 90% of what's on the box already for several years, in some cases decades, at this point..

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 08:37:42 PM »

And I'd hazard a guess that every single person here, once over the euphoria of the release (once there is such a thing--still a solid 3+ weeks out and thus worthy of our collective held breath), will admit it.

I might agree with this if we hadn't had a good 90% of what's on the box already for several years, in some cases decades, at this point..
And I might agree with this if we hadn't had a good 279 pages of Smile Sessions discussion on this board. And a very relevant analog from 2004, when for a few brief seconds, every cynical, sarcastic, asshole admitted that s/he (who am I kidding ... mostly he) loved what was being presented. And anyway, your disagreement doesn't have much, if anything, to do with the point. Unless you're saying that nothing in Smile is dispensable because we've had most of it for a long time. Which I assume you're not saying.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 09:25:30 PM »

Everything from Smile is sacred, even Teeter Totter Love.  LOL  (Can`t wait to finally hear it!)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 09:53:10 AM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 09:36:23 PM »

And I might agree with this if we hadn't had a good 279 pages of Smile Sessions discussion on this board. And a very relevant analog from 2004, when for a few brief seconds, every cynical, sarcastic, butthole admitted that s/he (who am I kidding ... mostly he) loved what was being presented. And anyway, your disagreement doesn't have much, if anything, to do with the point. Unless you're saying that nothing in Smile is dispensable because we've had most of it for a long time. Which I assume you're not saying.

I'm saying the fanbase's general opinion coming to the conclusion that some of it is dispensable would've happened ages ago, not after the release of this box set.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 10:17:34 PM »

Vega-Tables was actually my least favourite Smile track with the exception of maybe Speeches, until the recent mix for the box set. It's totally transformed the song for me and I think gives a much better sense of what it could have been.

That's interesting - personally, I find the new mix a bit jarring... IMHO of course, I still prefer the Smiley version, and hooray for TSS coming out.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 10:42:40 PM »

Essential to SMiLE:

Our Prayer
Gee
Heroes and Villains
Do You Like Worms?
I'm in Great Shape
Barnyard
He Gives Speeches
My Only Sunshine
Cabin Essence
Wonderful
Look (Song For Children)
Child Is Father of the Man
Surf's Up
Can't Wait Too Long / Workshop
Vega-Tables
Holidays
Wind Chimes
The Elements: Fire
Love To Say Dada
Good Vibrations

can't settle for anything less
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:43:49 PM by cool timin » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 10:48:06 PM »

Vega-Tables was actually my least favourite Smile track with the exception of maybe Speeches, until the recent mix for the box set. It's totally transformed the song for me and I think gives a much better sense of what it could have been.

That's interesting - personally, I find the new mix a bit jarring... IMHO of course, I still prefer the Smiley version, and hooray for TSS coming out.

Where has this surfaced? Or did you kids hear it due to your job etc.?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 12:06:13 AM »

[Oh sh*t, why not?] Yes. Some of Smile is dispensable. Obviously. (Someone or another has thought so for the past 40+ years, anyway. What, there was gleaming gold sitting there and it was withheld for...why, again? Ahead of its time? My ass...) And I'd hazard a guess that every single person here, once over the euphoria of the release (once there is such a thing--still a solid 3+ weeks out and thus worthy of our collective held breath), will admit it. But the specifics? Good luck. Obviously this attraction for him is the detraction for other-him. The best thing about it is that. Inherent contradictions make it interesting on some level to everyone. But then the weakest parts to A are the strongest to B.

Luther, sweetheart, where were you all that time?  angel

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx