gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:35:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When Brian Wilson met John Lennon  (Read 7315 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« on: October 05, 2011, 02:33:18 PM »

I've just found this story over at Warnakey's blog. Warnakey, hope you don't mind me reprinting it. I'd love to know what truth there is in this. As far as I knew, they never met. Didn't he say as much to Sean Lennon?

I was reading the blog Brian Wilsonite and laughed at this story that comes from groovyrick, who relays a story that Alice Cooper told him. Try to follow along:

I’ve seen Alice in concert a couple of times, and met him twice. The first time I met him, someone told him that I was a major Brian Wilson fan. Alice immediately smiled and stated that he was also a major fan, and a good friend of Brian’s. He also said that he had a GREAT Brian Wilson story to tell me.

From this point, I will let Alice tell the story:

“I was sitting backstage after the 1974 Grammys with Bernie Taupin (Elton John’s lyricist) and John Lennon. This was when Brian was really having some mental issues. During the course of the conversation, I kept seeing Brian out of the corner of my eye, just kind of staring at us from different angles. Finally, he came up to the table, bent down and whispered in my ear, ‘Hey Alice, introduce me to John Lennon.’ I couldn’t BELIEVE that these two men had never met! They were virtually neck and neck in the 60’s as the greatest bands on the planet, and I’m SURE they must have crossed paths at some point. But then I thought to myself, ‘Wow, if they REALLY have never met, I’m going to be the one to introduce them and become a part of rock history!’ So I merely said, ‘Brian Wilson, this is John Lennon. John Lennon, this is Brian Wilson.’ Lennon was very cordial and polite, saying things like, ‘Hello Brian, I’ve always wanted to meet you. I’ve always admired your work, and Paul and I considered Pet Sounds one of the best albums ever made.’ Brian thanked him and walked away, at which point Lennon went right back to his conversation like nothing had happened. About ten minutes later, Brian came by our table again, leaned down and whispered something to Bernie, and all of a sudden, Bernie was saying, ‘Brian Wilson, this is John Lennon. John Lennon, Brian Wilson.’ Lennon was just as cordial and polite as the first time, saying essentially the same thing about always wanting to meet him. As soon as Brian walked away, John looked at both of us and casually said in his typical Liverpudlian accent, ‘I’ve met him hundreds of times. He’s not well, you know.’”

Alice went on to say that he loves Brian, and later that night went with a group of people to Brian’s house and went into his studio to add and subtract instruments and passages from Beach Boys songs. I don’t know what was funnier to me…the punchline of the story, or listening to Alice Cooper try to talk like John Lennon.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:34:48 PM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 02:52:02 PM »

I'm sure I read this on this board a few weeks ago.

Honk! Honk!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 02:56:53 PM »

I haven't heard that story before! I've read May Pang's book where she said that Brian and Lennon met briefly at a party, I think in 1974 when the two of them were out in L.A. Brian came up to John and asked him for some Reds and May commented that Brian obviously "wasn't well". And the story recounted by Mickey Dolenz, where Brian and John were at a party in Malibu and were standing silently next to one another staring out the window at the Pacific Ocean. And of course in 1964 where the two of them are talking with a radio DJ about haircuts (on Youtube).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:58:34 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 03:18:57 PM »

Well according to Brian he never met John - YouTube search Brian Wilson John Lennon 70th Birthday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNdy6NSEF5I
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 03:24:05 PM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 04:03:07 PM »

Definitely a new one for me.  Very interesting, thanks for posting!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 04:58:43 PM »

I wonder what the conversation would have been like if those two had met in the mid 60s.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 05:15:13 PM »

No matter what Brian says...he and Lennon met several times. Its a documented fact. Cooper's story is great...and revealing into the swiss cheese element of Brian's memory.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 05:34:31 PM »

It's amazing he doesn't remember he met Lennon, Brian is something else

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 05:37:44 PM »

Given what we know about where Brian's state-of-mind was in 1974, it's not surprising to me that he doesn't remember much of it.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 05:47:19 PM »

Hope the upcoming Brian movie, if set up with different sequences just like "i'm not there", has a sequence that addresses Brian's lost periods like the year of 1974 because they are interesting in their sheer sadness of Brian's fall into mental illness and heavy drug abuse.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 05:48:12 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »

To me, he sounds lucid and "with it" during the Jim Pewter interview in August, 1974. Possibly a little coked up, but pretty darn happy and talkative. Only thing he didn't want to talk about was the Smile era and he briefly left the studio.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 07:14:55 PM »

it's be great if every era of brian's life has a scene where he meets john lennon again and again

i'll be pissed if they have some different guy representing brian like in i'm not there
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:36:18 PM by cool timin » Logged
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 09:00:10 PM »

Frankly, this one sounds a lot more like a Brian put-on story than a Brian memory-loss story.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 09:44:30 PM »

Frankly, this one sounds a lot more like a Brian put-on story than a Brian memory-loss story.

The more I've thought about it, the more I'm starting to think you're right.  He probably thought it was funny making all these big-name people introduce him to John. Maybe he wanted to see how many of them he could get to do it before they caught on.  Mental illness or not, it certainly sounds like something Brian would do.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 10:29:19 PM »

The more I've thought about it, the more I'm starting to think you're right.  He probably thought it was funny making all these big-name people introduce him to John. Maybe he wanted to see how many of them he could get to do it before they caught on.  Mental illness or not, it certainly sounds like something Brian would do.

I agree. If this actually happened, it sounds like a put on.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 11:40:36 PM »

I think the greatest Brian put on of all is that every time he does anything stupid, weird, or inappropriate, the majority of his hardcore fans say its gotta be a put on. Therefore Brian has eternal carte blanche. Brian is so out of step, he's ten steps ahead of everybody...that's why he rarely acts normal... crafty devil. Its actually a chapter in my new book. I think its a fascinating phenomena.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 12:12:20 AM »

Given that Vince was somewhat partial to the bottle, I'd have to question his date recall, as in early 1974, Brian hadn't had a home studio for something like two years.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 12:15:08 AM »

I think the greatest Brian put on of all is that every time he does anything stupid, weird, or inappropriate, the majority of his hardcore fans say its gotta be a put on. Therefore Brian has eternal carte blanche. Brian is so out of step, he's ten steps ahead of everybody...that's why he rarely acts normal... crafty devil. Its actually a chapter in my new book. I think its a fascinating phenomena.

It's the ultimate "get out of jail" card - "hey, it's just Brian, y'know".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 12:55:02 AM »

that's what's weird about him. There was another thread about this a few months ago, a more recent interview where he said he had never met John, and there was at least one story posted in the thread about the two of them having dropped acid together. How can he maintain that they never met? I can understand he was really loaded, and maybe forgot about a time here or there, but it seems like he's been keeping up this story for years.
There's just something about his sense of humor. He can really make you laugh and cry at the same time, if you catch my drift.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 07:19:12 AM »

I think it's hard to know what's a put-on and what's not. Which book was it that told the story of Brian painting his face green for the visit from the label rep and later admitting that he "just wanted to see what would happen"? Or the grave-digging story? And then there are stories about his behavior turning on a dime, depending on who is in the room.  But then, obviously his odd behavior is not always a put-on. Experts have concluded that he's mentally ill, he has auditory hallucinations, etc, and that --as well as drugs and/or medication--would lead to odd behavior.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 02:50:20 PM »

You've got to love the man's trademark put-ons. Come to think of it, this guy is making entire crowds of grown-up men and women sing nursery rhyme. It doesn't get much better than that.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 08:11:53 PM »

why can't it be both mental illness and a put on
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 09:04:56 PM »

Back when I had a subscription to Rock's Backpages, I must've read every Brian Wilson interview they had. And I distinctly remember him saying that he considered himself "a practical joke machine" when he's on coke (he gave some crazy interviews when he first went under Landy's care). He also specifically mentioned purposefully confusing the hell out of Van Dyke all the time with his behavior when he was sped up. Brian was and is mad, but there was always a method behind it, as crazy as that method was.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 09:38:28 PM »

People talk about Brian being mentally ill. I wonder if he was mentally ill before taking drugs. I know Dennis took a lot of drugs but always seemed mentally stable. But I think the drugs can have awful effects on some like Brian, Syd Barret, Rocky Erickson, etc. Brian seemed very stable before 1967. Outside of a nervous brake down, he seemed mentally strong. And he had good and bad days until the 80s. But now he doesn't ever seem to be completely there.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »

Outside of a nervous brake down, he seemed mentally strong.

I don't know that you can call anyone who has a nervous breakdown at 22 years old "mentally strong."  It's all been discussed ad nauseam here in the past, but it has always seemed to me that drugs exacerbated issues that were already present within Brian.  He'd always been pretty good at keeping them below the surface (using his music to express his inner turmoil), but as the drug experimentation got worse, everything was brought out into the open for the first time.  Obviously there were other factors, but it isn't as black and white as "drugs made a happy and healthy Brian mentally ill."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx