gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:05:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When Brian Wilson met John Lennon  (Read 7356 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 06:49:37 AM »

I don't know that you can call anyone who has a nervous breakdown at 22 years old "mentally strong."  It's all been discussed ad nauseam here in the past, but it has always seemed to me that drugs exacerbated issues that were already present within Brian.  He'd always been pretty good at keeping them below the surface (using his music to express his inner turmoil), but as the drug experimentation got worse, everything was brought out into the open for the first time.  Obviously there were other factors, but it isn't as black and white as "drugs made a happy and healthy Brian mentally ill."

I've always been a little bit confused as to what a nervous breakdown entails. I know Brian apparently had a panic attack on an airplane, but is that a nervous breakdown? Was there more to it, or was that it? (And I don't mean to minimize a panic attack. I've had them , and they are very scary.) But I do agree, Chris, that the seeds of mental instability were probably planted in Brian early on and just exacerbated by drugs. And then on top of it, he's a practical joker with an odd sense of humor.
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 05:10:56 PM »

People talk about Brian being mentally ill. I wonder if he was mentally ill before taking drugs. I know Dennis took a lot of drugs but always seemed mentally stable. But I think the drugs can have awful effects on some like Brian, Syd Barret, Rocky Erickson, etc. Brian seemed very stable before 1967. Outside of a nervous brake down, he seemed mentally strong. And he had good and bad days until the 80s. But now he doesn't ever seem to be completely there.

Our bodies are made of chemistry and taking certain mind altering substances can have a profound long term effect on that chemistry on some individuals. I think Brian ,Syd Barret etc were a couple examples of that.I remember in an interview hearing Brian talk about the LSD shattering his mind and I often wonder what could have been for Brian had he avoided the drugs.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 05:16:42 PM by dmcguire70 » Logged

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 06:16:07 PM »

Speed would create more paranoia then LSD..
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 07:30:57 AM »

Outside of a nervous brake down, he seemed mentally strong.

I don't know that you can call anyone who has a nervous breakdown at 22 years old "mentally strong."  It's all been discussed ad nauseam here in the past, but it has always seemed to me that drugs exacerbated issues that were already present within Brian.  He'd always been pretty good at keeping them below the surface (using his music to express his inner turmoil), but as the drug experimentation got worse, everything was brought out into the open for the first time.  Obviously there were other factors, but it isn't as black and white as "drugs made a happy and healthy Brian mentally ill."

I agree, because it didn't have the same effect on Dennis. Nor David Crosby, David Marks, Robin Williams (well), etc. I mean they may have had depression issues, but not mental issues.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx