gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:09:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cover of Sloop John B  (Read 2040 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2011, 01:15:37 PM »

Hey all!

Spent today recording a cover of 'Sloop John B'. Let me know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMznB__Vi_8

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 04:06:21 PM »

It's got a real Galaxie 500 vibe when the guitars kick in! I like it! If i was being critical, I'd mix the harmonies in the first bridge a bit higher.... esp. seeing as the acapella bridge is the business. But then as is, it works with the shoegaze vibe quite well. Depends what you're looking for. But it's a fine thang....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:13:51 PM »

Thanks hypehat!

Yeah, I wasn't too happy with the mixing - Idk, There were way too many tracks to adjust - and since it was just a cover, I didn't bother with mixing much. But other than that I was happy that I got some of the harmonies right haha

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 04:11:09 AM »

Thanks hypehat!

Yeah, I wasn't too happy with the mixing - Idk, There were way too many tracks to adjust - and since it was just a cover, I didn't bother with mixing much. But other than that I was happy that I got some of the harmonies right haha
Great job Rab! Did u play all the backing track as well? If you did ,kudos to you mate!

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 04:21:30 PM »

Such a relaxing take on the song, very nice  Grin

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 09:05:56 PM »

Thanks hypehat!

Great job Rab! Did u play all the backing track as well? If you did ,kudos to you mate!

Thanks! Yeah, did the backing tracks myself with an acoustic, electric guitar, and a keyboard.

Such a relaxing take on the song, very nice  Grin

Thanks!

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 07:29:10 AM »

Wow, this is great, I really like this cover, great vibe.  Post more.  And if you have any original work, please post that as well.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:31:18 AM by mypetsounds » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 07:35:21 AM »

Wow, this is great, I really like this cover, great vibe.  Post more.  And if you have any original work, please post that as well.

Thanks! My original work should be up soon; I'm currently assembling a band together - so we should have some tunes fully finished within a few weeks!

JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 11:19:29 AM »

Wow !

Il love the overall "lonesome cowboy" feel, the chord twist at 0'57 and again at 1'32", it gives a totally different atmosphere ! That's great.

I also love the "windchimes" marimba towards the end ;-) Hell, how did you get that sound ?

Congratulations, I can't wait to hear from your own project/band !  Smokin

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 11:31:40 AM »

Wow !

Il love the overall "lonesome cowboy" feel, the chord twist at 0'57 and again at 1'32", it gives a totally different atmosphere ! That's great.

I also love the "windchimes" marimba towards the end ;-) Hell, how did you get that sound ?

Congratulations, I can't wait to hear from your own project/band !  Smokin

Thanks! Yeah, I swapped two chords around in there to make it sound more happy. And the marimba is a MIDI keyboard setting in Logic - my little homage to TSS! Grin

I can't wait for you to hear my new stuff! I've actually started getting insomnia due to just sitting at the piano till 2-3 in the morning writing songs haha....quite annoying, but well worth it I hope.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx