gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680778 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 05:00:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "Leila Revelation"  (Read 66605 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 10:34:08 PM »

the only thing that makes it sound real to me is that AGD hasn't said anything about the post's verity, which to me is like saying "well, you've got a few points there"

You must have missed me saying here and on the Hoff, repeatedly, that while her 'review' is broadly accurate, there are odd omissions.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 10:37:07 PM »

Yep. And nobody has yet to point out anything specific, aside from "Friend B" and "Friend S," that indicates it's a hoax.

Has anyone pointed out anything to show it is credible?  Does this sound like a lady who knows what she's talking about?

::sigh::

And this is how the country ended up with Obama as President.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 11:37:09 PM »

Oh, the board's back. That's timely! It would have been crazy if it had been down over the next few weeks.

I think there are some super-suspicious things about 'Leila' (Micha and Rocker, in particular, might agree with me here), but from what I'm hearing on-line and from talking to people, much, if not all of what she wrote about the set itself is actually true.

As I've already said to a couple of people, the only thing I'm doubtful about is the comment about extra vocals in the Truck Driving Man part of Cabin Essence. According to her friend 'B' (or was it 'S', ho ho...), even the Mojo single has extra vocals in this part. Well, I can't hear anything new at all there, unless the vocals are down low, at the level of Dennis's Truck Driving Man part itself, of course.

I was going to try cancelling out the backing on this part this weekend to see if there was anything new there, but we have our first-born well on the way and I just haven't got round to it - busy clearing the house out in preparation for the new arrival! So I was just lazily wondering if anyone else has bothered to do that with the Mojo version yet…?

I'll try to get to it before the weekend's out.

MattB
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 11:54:37 PM »

As I've already said to a couple of people, the only thing I'm doubtful about is the comment about extra vocals in the Truck Driving Man part of Cabin Essence. According to her friend 'B' (or was it 'S', ho ho...), even the Mojo single has extra vocals in this part. Well, I can't hear anything new at all there, unless the vocals are down low, at the level of Dennis's Truck Driving Man part itself, of course.

There aren't.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 12:32:57 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 01:27:22 AM »

Good lord. I could not make it through that. God help this person and anyone who knows her IRL if this was indeed written by a real person not pretending to be someone else.

If it's real and they really attempted to put the "whispering winds" vocals over the end of "Holidays", I may have to jump in front of a truck or something. Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 03:58:35 AM »

Yep. And nobody has yet to point out anything specific, aside from "Friend B" and "Friend S," that indicates it's a hoax.

Has anyone pointed out anything to show it is credible?  Does this sound like a lady who knows what she's talking about?

::sigh::

And this is how the country ended up with Obama as President every single GOP candidate, you betcha.

Grin

The british sense of humour....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 06:19:33 AM »

I think it's pretty obvious that this is written by a man pretending to be a woman. It really looks like he's trying to sound like an ignorant and, frankly, stupid woman who doesn't know anything about the music she's reviewing. Which is pretty irritating.
It seems a little odd, this whole post. Some stuff sounds very fake.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 06:22:14 AM »

I think it's pretty obvious that this is written by a man pretending to be a woman. 

I'll admit it all sounded fishy, but how can you possibly tell that a transvestite wrote it?
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 07:31:39 AM »

I think it's pretty obvious that this is written by a man pretending to be a woman. 

I'll admit it all sounded fishy, but how can you possibly tell that a transvestite wrote it?

Well, first off, no friend "B" or "S" would sit there listening to smile and YELL at a woman.
They'd be more likely to share some "Good Vibrations"

SG7
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2011, 07:55:19 AM »

Plus another thing too: friend "B" and "S"

:D
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 07:57:10 AM »

Well, first off, no friend "B" or "S" would sit there listening to smile and YELL at a woman.
They'd be more likely to share some "Good Vibrations"

The other funny part is that the friends who are hardcore fans have a listening party to dive into the compiled disc, not the sessions or any other rarities/new finds.  If I was pressed for listening time, that compiled disc would probably be my last choice.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 08:09:54 AM »

Plus another thing too: friend "B" and "S"

:D

Well, their names could be "Brian" and "Sean" but whateve... Tongue

GoinBald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 08:30:21 AM »

One friend being called Bull...
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 09:25:07 AM »

While I do question the validity that the person posting that is who s/he/it claims s/he/it is (after all, "Leila" only has nine posts total), still, the only way anybody can definitively say the INFORMATION is inaccurate is by actually listening to what this person claims to have heard. How many of us have done that? And yeah, I admit I am a bit suspicious about that line about how "she" got bored listening to the sessions part because it was repetitive and ergo just stopped listening to that part (which would explain the aforementioned "odd omissions"), but still...after rereading the review, I don't find anything suspicious about the "extra 'truck driving man'" vocals -- it's theoretically possible that someone would call 'em "extra" because said person never noticed the "truck driving man" vocals in the first place; hell, I was listening to "Cabinessence" for a good three or four years before I knew that it HAD the "truck drivin' man" vocals because they're so subtle in the mix -- only when I got the P*****y tape set did I actually notice them because of the blend, and especially because David Leaf's book attached them to "Heroes And Villains" sessions.

I stated that nobody has pointed out anything specific that would indicate it's a hoax. Another person said nobody pointed out anything specific that indicates it's not. I guess by that logic we can't believe ANYTHING we read until we actually hear it. Sorry, Mr. Desper, but I guess I can't believe a damn word you posted about Brian laying down a drum track, because nobody has posted anything specific indicating that you weren't lying.

Am I saying I necessarily believe it? To be honest, no, but I also don't discount it. The wait for November 1 hasn't (yet) driven me to knee-jerk reactions to automatically NOT believe something that I don't like seeing. Poorly-written review? Well, a couple of thoughts: 1) someone who truly might not be Smile-knowledgeable, as this person claims/admits/lies, isn't going to be the most articulate about things that we all know well, and 2) the post was made for a discussion board, not the media -- no editors, etc. (And 3....if it turns out this person IS being real, I have a good idea about who it is...given "her" reputation so far.)

Real? I doubt it. Fake? I doubt that too. What I don't doubt is...we need more evidence.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:27:18 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2011, 09:31:40 AM »

i just think there's weird extra information in it.  Pointing out that he writes smile, "SMiLE"?  whatever.  And that he's buying the one with "the light in it".  that's extra detail i doubt someone would really care to write about.  whatever though, we'll find out in a month
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2011, 09:44:07 AM »

Call me ignorant, but....why are so many people saying it's fake? Just because it's from the Hoffman forum???

I'm calling it fake because of the style and language it was written with.  It's written to sound like a ditsy chick wrote it, but it's way too detailed for a valley girl to have written.  So it's written by somebody trying to impersonate someone else.  It's possible somebody in the know wrote it, but "Leila" absolutely did not write it. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2011, 10:01:41 AM »

yeah, it's total bunk.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2011, 10:23:58 AM »

Did anyone else laugh when they read B's phrase: "It was predictably incredible"?  How does that work? 

"MAN, THAT REALLY BLEW MY MIND!!!!        Yeah, I saw that coming......It figures...."  Roll Eyes
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2011, 11:30:19 AM »

I had to laugh at the parts where he/she/it said that her/him/its friend was angry at certain songs...it made me picture someone sitting there saying "Gosh darn it (expletive version of it of course) it this isn't right!!! they Fudged (expletive version of the word) up the whole cd!!!!!" while throwing something across the room and pulling out his/her/its hair lol..the nirvana comparison was kind of strange and i don't hear that at all in ANY beach boys song much less anything from Smile..personally I think this person was drunk and decided to write a fake review..at least it's written like someone who was drunk..lol..or it isn't a fake review but the person was drunk and couldn't write a review that made sense..
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2011, 11:32:01 AM »

HELLO ?

Right, now I've got your attention, listen up, 'cause I'm fed up with repeating this: what "Leila" says is broadly accurate, but if she only listened to CD1 in full, there are some odd omissions in her recollections. Thank you.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2011, 11:36:46 AM »

Oh, I get ya AGD.

So, what you're saying is, there's no way she could have left certain other awesome things out?

More awesome then what she already stated? Holy sh*t.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2011, 11:40:19 AM »

HELLO ?

Right, now I've got your attention, listen up, 'cause I'm fed up with repeating this: what "Leila" says is broadly accurate, but if she only listened to CD1 in full, there are some odd omissions in her recollections. Thank you.

Don't take it so personally. It's going to be allright...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2011, 11:53:45 AM »

AGD we get it, you've heard TSS already, no need to shout now   Razz  Wink

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2011, 11:55:44 AM »

I know right?!
AGD buddy, you've HEARD THE FREAKING SESSIONS. Just let us fan-gasm all over every little tid-bit and turn on some "Surf's Up" when you read the forums from now until November 2nd :D

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2011, 11:57:36 AM »

The Nirvana reference actually made a lot of sense to me - I'm not a huge Nirvana fan, but it never really dawned on me that they used dynamics between verse/chorus much like Brian did during the Pet Sounds/Smile era.  I think Brian used it to greater effect, but it's actually a pretty good observation on "her" part.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx