gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:19:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What happened to ghost?  (Read 14602 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 04:34:14 PM »

Well, obviously he didn't explain himself perfectly, as I got offended. Very much so, especially given the sheer delight he took in winding people up. It's like being back in school or something, and I reserve the right to get angry at it.

I am sorry I responded in the way that I did. That was out of order, but I was not informed by ghost or by anyone else of real-life troubles he had until after he was banned bar one oblique reference in one of the numerous threads he started. His post was clearly a botched attempt at humour, and my point was to merely turn it around onto him. Homosexuality = a reference to terminal disease is 'obviously' 'funny'. Same goes for depression = attempted suicide. My point was not well made out, granted, but I was livid. To see people go 'Hey, I don't see what a bad guy he was, what's a few aids gags between pals' makes my blood boil, to be honest. I don't care how rationally you want to boil it down. It made me angry, and I responded so at the time.

In fact, the only PM he ever sent me was, and I quote, 'do you want to know the cure for aids'. What a hoot.

Yeah, we should all chill out. But some things hit nerves, alright?

All stupid alliterative/faults of grammar/unintentional argument scuppering in the above are noted, and duly filed til tomorrow cos i'm knackered. But Fishmonk, i know we disagree on a lot (politics, cannabissence), but you're a reasonable kinda guy and you don't enjoy fucking with people and that's the point I'm trying to make, really.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:45:46 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 04:45:53 PM »

the cure for aids is vegatables
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 04:48:43 PM »

I can understand that Ghost was annoying or whatever. I just don't think he was really as bad as some make him out to be. Being annoying isn't the worst you can do, and I think what typically happens is when the board finds someone annoying they jump on the person first chance they get, blowing up something that should have been minor, or interpreting a stray comment in a dishonest way contrary to what the poster intended. Ghost wasn't evil, he wasn't even that bad, he was probably some lonely kid with suicidal tendencies looking for a few friends.

I just feel that people here need to just chill out in general, if you don't like someone, fine, but just take a step back and don't look for excuses to start stuff just because you find them obnoxious.

This same thing is just going to continue to happen, and I really feel like next time it does some people here should just try and give the poster the benefit of the doubt instead of letting their tempers flare over some trifling remark that was better forgotten.  
Come on, the Mods asked him multiple times to tone it down, he didn't and he was banned. Sometimes we all need to have a little self control. Ignoring Mods warnings doesn't win you any points either. Had he shown them respect and followed that they asked, he'd probably still be here.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 06:12:30 PM »

When the moderators told Ghost to stop, he should have, fine. I'm not trying to bend over backwards to defend the guy personally. I really didn't even like his posts. This is more about the general relationship between posters here, than it is about any single poster being good or bad.

Sure you all are willing to recognize me as good contributor here, but just a few months ago I was getting dragged through the mud. People were rude and testy, people shouted about being "offended", I was nearly banned. It was very frustrating. I have no hard feelings, but I can sympathize with Ghost and Phil Cohen and many other posters who go through a similar thing. It's idiotic and these "nobody" witch hunts need to just stop.

It's not this one sided thing, "oh he's a dick, he got what he deserved. I didn't do anything wrong, he started it", stuff like that is what I feel is the problem. Ghost may have been annoying, and he may have said some things that didn't come out the right way, but I feel like it wasn't just him. There was a negative reaction to Ghost that I thought he didn't deserve, there was a territorial aggressiveness that some treated him with. There's plenty of blame to go all around to everyone. It's not simply a case of "he was an butthole so he got banned".

Next time there's a new (or old) poster who's making waves, I just think that people should just calm down. You don't have to respond to every post he makes, if you think his opinion is faulty the universe will still go on if you don't tell him about why he's wrong, so don't feel like your obligated to. Don't make offtopic jabs at the guy, don't post low-content responses to him just to be rude. Just let it go. That's all I'm saying, and that's all that I think needs to be said.

We can go round and round on this all day, so I think I'll just duck out now. My point has always been though, that as much as you think you KNOW poster-so-and-so to be wrong headed, or stupid, or annoying, or a troll, or whatever, just goading him and starting sh*t isn't going to do anything to improve the forums, it's just going to lead to senseless arguments, hurt feelings and someone getting banned. I feel the whole Ghost situation was very much two sided, as are all similar occurrences with other posters, and I feel that if the other side simply steps up, gives the guy the benefit of the doubt, and takes a moment to cool off we won't have these persistent cluster f*cks mucking up our forum every over month.

Is that really so disagreeable?  
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:13:32 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 06:24:33 PM »

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 07:16:53 PM »

Would anyone happen to have his e-mail or an alternate contact?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 07:21:02 PM »

The guy was a jerk -- sorry!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 09:33:06 PM »

Some of you don't seem to get that if you're constantly met by aggressive posts by people who don't seem to understand the humour or don't agree with your view, you can get irritated.
Ghost didn't give any hate. He made some jokes, but he didn't mean anything bad. Like fishmonk said, if you'd tried to understand some of these "offensive" posts, they weren't bad at all. In fact, I think most of his posts felt very loving, not hateful like some of your responses were. Until you started fucking with him, that is.

I love this board, but I don't like when you ban people like that. Don't ban all the groovy kids man. I shouldn't compare it to society but it's kinda fascist just throwing people out because of their views, or something they've said. I think you're creating hate here.  Sad
rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2011, 05:03:52 AM »

I think you're creating hate here.  Sad
Or "Kulturkritik"

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 05:14:10 AM »

FWIW, I found ghost irritating the way a small, indisciplined child at a restaurant or a cinema is irritating. Easy enough to say "ignore him" but then I had to pass over multiple posts of his on threads that interested me (the guy was everywhere), I got pissed. So the guy has issues and health problems - BFD, so do I, but I don't make an excuse of it. That's the joy of MBs, in this sense they're a level playing field.  The guy was a royal and increasing pain, he was repeatedly warned, ignored that and got his ass banned. If this were a real gathering, he'd probably have been taken outside and roughed up: another joy of MBs, no hurt is real.

Cohen was, and is, a different case - he was pissing on everyone's fire on an hourly basis, purely because no-one was telling him what was going on (and he couldn't figure out why). So, he assumed that the project was in trouble, even after people involved in it, or who knew considerably more than he did (not hard) told him it wasn't. Turns out that the silence was because the set was being increased from 3 CDs to 5 and folk had better things to do than give the likes of us a play-by-play. Like ghost, he had it coming, it came and he got his. And lord forgive me, but that pleased me immensely.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:15:12 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 10:16:59 PM »

Never mind ghost, what's happened to Andrew G. Foe? As Charles Caleb Colton said, "imitation is the sincerest (form) of flattery".

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 10:04:47 AM »

I have a funny feeling that NewGuy might be ghost/nobody. Or maybe a new troll altogether.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 10:06:26 AM »

I have a funny feeling that NewGuy might be ghost/nobody. Or maybe a new troll altogether.
Newguy=Nobody Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 10:18:12 AM »

I don't think so...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 10:27:45 AM »

I don't think so...
New troll then if this guy doesn't chill out and follow the rules. Billy, those scenes on your avatar are hilarious, are they from a soap because when I was a kid, I used to watch wacky soaps when I was sick from school. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 01:59:05 PM »

Never mind ghost, what's happened to Andrew G. Foe? As Charles Caleb Colton said, "imitation is the sincerest (form) of flattery".

Also, does anyone know, is Andrew's Fern getting enough water?

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 02:35:25 PM »

[....  hear the guy out, and then move on if you couldn't agree.

My 2 cents.  This is ALWAYS good advice.

I wonder, does anyone else think that people of different ages have different writing styles?  I mean, since we are all READING as opposed to seeing visual cues, sometimes a person could (logically) take offense where no offense was intended, since we don't have a VISUAL cue to let the listener/reader know not to take offense.

I think the Mods do a pretty good job of letting people have their say.  But I can see where someone would be banned if they are constantly abusive, insulting w/ personal attacks, etc.  I assume the Mods keep a short leash on that.

Well, anyway I think Fishmonk's comments were excellent.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2011, 12:49:39 AM »

People seriously believe newguy is ghost?

Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx