gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681310 Posts in 27633 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 08:16:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uncut nov mag AGD in it & review too!!  (Read 11723 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 08:34:31 AM »

LOL, music journalists.

Also, why are tributes to BW always done by insipid, young, fleeting hipster bands that are painfully dull and have no MUSICAL relation to BW, but only an empty stylistic "similarity"?

Oh, do we have to talk about the Beatles again?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 08:36:20 AM »

Interesting article. The whole bootlegs thing was great

And of course, 5 stars

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 08:42:46 AM »

LOL, music journalists.

Also, why are tributes to BW always done by insipid, young, fleeting hipster bands that are painfully dull and have no MUSICAL relation to BW, but only an empty stylistic "similarity"?

Are you kidding me? Grizzly Bear's Daniel Rossen is heavily inspired by Brian Wilson. Listen to his use of chords. He often uses typical Brian chords, suspended ones, playing around with the basslines a lot. The use of complex vocal harmonies is also something directly influenced by BBs and their music.

Panda Bear is great as well. Paul Steel would be another great choice. Perhaps too obvious but he's very unknown.

Bon Iver sucks though, and has no resemblance to Beach Boys or Smile whatsoever.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 08:52:34 AM by homeontherange » Logged
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 08:53:41 AM »

LOL, music journalists.

Are you kidding me? Grizzly Bear's Daniel Rossen is heavily inspired by Brian Wilson. Listen to his use of chords. He often uses typical Brian chords, suspended ones, playing around with the basslines a lot. The use of complex vocal harmonier is also something directly influenced by BBs music.

Animal Collective are great as well.

These are great choices of bands influenced by BB. Paul Steel would be another great choice. Perhaps too obvious but he's very unknown.

They definitely should have included Fleet Foxes...particularly "Quiet Houses" with it's obvious SMiLE shout out at the 2:28 mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugxXqqGepCU

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 09:00:01 AM »

Are you kidding me? Grizzly Bear's Daniel Rossen is heavily inspired by Brian Wilson. Listen to his use of chords. He often uses typical Brian chords, suspended ones, playing around with the basslines a lot.

Good for him. Too bad he can't do that and make the music sound exciting like Brian Wilson could.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 09:05:27 AM »

That CD pretty much proves why The Beach Boys are "hip" but also shows why that's no necessarily a good thing

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 09:09:40 AM »

Are you kidding me? Grizzly Bear's Daniel Rossen is heavily inspired by Brian Wilson. Listen to his use of chords. He often uses typical Brian chords, suspended ones, playing around with the basslines a lot.

Good for him. Too bad he can't do that and make the music sound exciting like Brian Wilson could.

are you really holding him being a brian wilson fan against him lol
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 09:17:02 AM »

are you really holding him being a brian wilson fan against him lol

No. I'm saying that doesn't automatically make his music good.
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »

Well, you said they have no musical relation to BWs music, which they do as I explained.
Who can make music that's as exciting as BWs best work? None that I know of. But there are several bands and songwriters who are very inspired by his music and show it.
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2011, 09:20:02 AM »

Oh, that wasn't you. Sorry.  Smiley
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2011, 09:21:55 AM »

Well, you said they have no musical relation to BWs music, which they do as I explained.

That wasn't me. EDIT: I see you beat me to the punch!  Smiley

Who can make music that's as exciting as BWs best work? None that I know of.

Yes, pretty much no one. But there are things that come awfully close - Odessey and Oracle, Village Green Preservation Society, a good deal of the 60s Motown catalogue, just to name a few. To me, bands like Grizzly Bear and Panda Bear don't come anywhere near but that's mostly because they are working in a genre that stopped being relevant over 30 years ago.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:22:49 AM by rockandroll » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2011, 12:08:37 PM »

you're right, we need more bieber on brian wilson tributes
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2011, 12:09:04 PM »

Far as I can tell as a quick glance it's the only five-star review in this month's issue.

A quote:  "some of rock's mot aristocratic wordplay ("surf's Up") with vocal harmonies so resplendent that ships should be named after them."

You read that right: "Vocal harmonies". Vocal harmonies.

Flown in from the 71 Child tag? Or something else?

I'm not saying that this is the case here--but I have noticed that many rock journalists have no idea what harmony actually is.  It tends to be when reviewing bands with an slight Beach Boys influence, the reviewer will say something like "[this band] has Beach Boys-esque vocal harmonies," but when you listen to the disc there's one lead singer, and no vocal harmony (though often there is instrumental harmony...).  I wish I had saved some of these strange reviews.

This has been going on since the early 90's, and I know that because I remember writing as a joke a list of pet peeves around current music of that time (93-94), and the comparisons to Brian Wilson whenever a reviewer heard any kind of flowing melody or a stacked vocal harmony from an alternative band were flying all over the 'zines and local paper reviews.

I thought it was bogus at the time - still do to a degree - but at the same time if some fan of one of those bands checked out Brian and Smile-Pet Sounds as a result, I guess it's not all that bad. Smiley

I also disagreed with some of the attempted links from Smile to exotica, the lounge revival, and Eden Ahbez, but I'm a bit of a curmudgeon that way... Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »

so was that children tag never recorded before '71??  i actually don't like the tag on 71 surfs up.  whatever purple chick used is my preferred
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2011, 12:22:14 PM »

Wouldn't make much of a difference to me.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2011, 12:33:17 PM »

so was that children tag never recorded before '71??  i actually don't like the tag on 71 surfs up.  whatever purple chick used is my preferred

The 1971 tag is a completely new recording, but something very similar was taped in 1966/67.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2011, 12:40:27 PM »

The 1971 tag is a completely new recording, but something very similar was taped in 1966/67.

Something most of us haven't heard before?
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2011, 01:03:19 PM »

I'm a big fan of binary thinking.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2011, 01:55:29 PM »

Not a great review tbh.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2011, 01:57:46 PM »

Finally, a magazine with some AGD!

lSometimes, I wish AGD would publish his own newspaper, in which all the world's news would be filtered through his unique Extraneous Falsification Removal and Fact Consolidation System. Imagine how he could decimate the arguments of most politicians!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2011, 02:00:06 PM »

i really prefer the 67 tag, i'm sure they'd use that one.  it has much more oomph to it

he said he wanted relevance.  maybe gaga would be better. And what would you like on these "tributes"?  this seems like such a non-issue.  it's a free cd from uncut magazine
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2011, 02:07:33 PM »

Not a great review tbh.

This..

We need details

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2011, 02:31:33 PM »

i really prefer the 67 tag, i'm sure they'd use that one.  it has much more oomph to it

he said he wanted relevance.  maybe gaga would be better. And what would you like on these "tributes"?  this seems like such a non-issue.  it's a free cd from uncut magazine

You're doing it again--why does it have to be either these sort of bands that appear on the Uncut CD or the likes of Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga? I mean, really? What would i like on these tributes? Well, what I would want is actually nothing. But that's just my own personal hang up. But i don't know, if forced to choose something...just something else? Something that's not these bands that make tame, mild, dull, lifeless music, or these corporate pop star products whose names are attached to music that represents the absolute bottom of the barrel? There's other stuff, ya know. This is not to say that i'm surprised, i'm just weary of it.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2011, 02:36:41 PM »

I think if we don't accept that the BBs could still influence new, cool bands, we're giving up on the future. I mean, the Beach Boys incorporated other styles, including some that were a few decades old at the time. Why shouldn't performers do that today?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2011, 02:38:34 PM »

Something most of us haven't heard before?

Aye, pray tell more… I'm at a loss.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx