gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:12:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are The Beach Boys Going To Become Hip With The Smille Sessions Release?  (Read 12829 times)
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 22, 2011, 04:34:19 PM »

Jon Stebbins is completely correct in his new book. The title "Do You Like Worms?" was a mindblower.

For years it been been Pet Sounds & Good Vibrations prove the Beach Boys were hip.

Now it's time to present the real evidence!!!!

Are opinions going to change in early November?

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Jason
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 04:35:12 PM »

Honestly (and I'm not trying to stir the pot), who cares?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »

Mr. Bill cares, evidently

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 04:43:25 PM »

only people who already think the Beach Boys are cool are going to listen to the Smile sessions.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 04:44:11 PM »

Keep the whole "the Beach Boys are hip" bullshit in bullshit magazines like Rolling Stone and Mojo and Uncut. People who appreciate good music will find the Beach Boys regardless of whether or not they are "hip" according to the catfish who write for those toilet paper tomes.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »

I've personally felt that SMiLE, had it been released in the 60's...it would have surpassed Sgt. Pepper's completely, both in critical acclaim and in legend.  The Beatles would have had to surrender because they wouldn't have been able to top it.  Today's legend for Pepper's is still huge.  This release could challenge it.  All it takes is for one well known reviewer/critic out there to make the large statement: "SMiLE is the one album that eclipses Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club." ...the soundbyte catches on and it gets people to look in our direction and start a conversation.  

Will it make the band "hip"?...I don't know but it sure helps with their street cred.  Here is finally proof that they had something under their sleeves to follow "Pet Sounds."  Joe Public most likely doesn't own anything past "Pet Sounds" or "Smiley Smile" so this is really the first time they'll be hearing everything compiled in one package.  Not every Beach Boy fan necessarily follows Brian Wilson.  So there will be a lot of opportunity for so-so fans to turn into something else with this release....
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 05:06:29 PM »

I've personally felt that SMiLE, had it been released in the 60's...it would have surpassed Sgt. Pepper's completely, both in critical acclaim and in legend.  The Beatles would have had to surrender because they wouldn't have been able to top it.  Today's legend for Pepper's is still huge.  This release could challenge it.  All it takes is for one well known reviewer/critic out there to make the large statement: "SMiLE is the one album that eclipses Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club." ...the soundbyte catches on and it gets people to look in our direction and start a conversation.  

You're absolutely right.  I still remember reading Jay Co cks' review of the '93 box in Time magazine.  Co cks, a well-known screenwriter (Gangs of New York, Strange Days, etc.), said that the Smile material in that box set had "settled the score" with Sgt Pepper.  
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,978900-1,00.html

Granted, I was already a fan when I read that, but seeing a review like that in a magazine like Time makes a big impression.  

Edit: The profanity filter doesn't like Jay Co cks' name
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 05:08:49 PM by juggler » Logged
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 05:09:23 PM »

The Real Beach Boy said:

This release is a chance to reevaluate the sixties. If you couldn't care less then by all means: be true to yourself.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 05:13:52 PM »

They are hip, hipsters love the Beach Boys..

Look who they have influenced, everyone from Katy Perry and Taylor Swift to Animal Collective and Fleet Foxes

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 05:25:24 PM »

The question of "hip?" is in the genes of the SMiLE myth.

It is the foundation of Jules Siegel's article, Goodbye Surfing Hello God!.

It was important to Dennis & Brian in '66.

Jason
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 05:27:31 PM »

The Real Beach Boy said:

This release is a chance to reevaluate the sixties. If you couldn't care less then by all means: be true to yourself.

That's the same mentality that nurtured the creation of the band's best works.
mtaber
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 05:29:56 PM »

They're gonna become hip, and then we'll have world peace...
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 05:40:21 PM »

TRBB said:
That's the same mentality that nurtured the creation of the band's best works.

So Siegel got it completely wrong.

Jason
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 05:44:04 PM »

Stop twisting my words. You know exactly what I mean.
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 05:52:05 PM »

If you (or I) are confusing hip with a popularity contest then I agree with you. The weird thing about the mid sixties is that those two things met at the same time!

ghost
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 05:54:30 PM »

Smile is pretty hip but Smiley is much more thigh.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 06:11:56 PM »

beach boys are quite hip. 
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 06:14:46 PM »

Look who they have influenced, everyone from Katy Perry and Taylor Swift to Animal Collective and Fleet Foxes

Yup. The coolest bar/club in Stockholm is called Pet Sounds bar and there's also a record store called simply Pet Sounds. It's really awesome actually.
The whole Smile thing is very hip right now. 1966, California, psychedelic sounds, mountains, cabins, the americana stuff you know. It's reflected in the clothing a lot and you can see that both where I live and in hipster mecca, Brooklyn NY. Vintage 60s Pendleton shirt = hip as f*ck.
And cool bands like Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, mgmt, toro y moi, Dirty projectors etc. are constantly showing their Beach Boys influences.
I actually don't think there's anything more hip than mid-60s Beach Boys right now. (bet you old guys didn't know that) It's a pretty sweet time to live in, I think.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:46:21 PM by homeontherange » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 06:19:14 PM »

Yup. The coolest bar/club in Stockholm is called Pet Sounds bar and there's also a record store called simply Pet Sounds. It's really awesome actually.
The whole Smile thing is very hip right now. 1966, California, psychedelic sounds, mountains, cabins, the americana stuff you know. It's reflected in the clothing a lot and you can see that both where I live and in hipster mecca, Brooklyn NY. This I know mostly from my fashion obsessed friend, who likes to teach me stuff about clothing. Vintage 60s Pendleton shirt = hip as f*ck.
And cool bands like Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, mgmt, toro y moi, Dirty projectors etc. are constantly showing their Beach Boys influences.
I actually don't think there's anything more hip than mid-60s Beach Boys right now. (bet you old guys didn't know that) It's a pretty sweet time to live in, I think.
1960s Americana really is popular right now, i intend to take advantage by buying all vintage clothing from that era off eBay. If only a company would reissue Brian's smile era striped t-shirts.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:24:22 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 07:02:49 PM »

How about some love beads?

homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 07:07:22 PM »

1960s Americana really is popular right now, i intend to take advantage by buying all vintage clothing from that era off eBay. If only a company would reissue Brian's smile era striped t-shirts.

http://seavees.com/basis/

This company has got some pretty nice authentic 60s cali shoes. If you take a look at their collection all their shoes have specific dates which is very cool.

"Think Steve McQueen cool, Richard Neutra clean and Brian Wilson creative."

http://seavees.com/shop/products/mens/05_66._slip_on

These shoes are dated may 1966. Not my favorites but:

"In May 1966 The Beach Boys release Pet Sounds in Hawthorne, California. Essentially a solo project for founder Brian Wilson, the work is widely recognized as the most influential album ever recorded."

I wonder if these are actually designer from shoes that Brian wore at the time.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:12:40 PM by homeontherange » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 07:16:03 PM »

http://seavees.com/basis/

This company has got some pretty nice authentic 60s cali shoes. If you take a look at their collection all their shoes have specific dates which is very cool.

"Think Steve McQueen cool, Richard Neutra clean and Brian Wilson creative."

http://seavees.com/shop/products/mens/05_66._slip_on

These shoes are dated may 1966. Not my favorites but:

"In May 1966 The Beach Boys release Pet Sounds in Hawthorne, California. Essentially a solo project for founder Brian Wilson, the work is widely recognized as the most influential album ever recorded."

I wonder if these are actually designer from shoes that Brian wore at the time.

Those aren't my favorite either, i thought he wore Keds cvos. http://www.zappos.com/keds-champion-cvo-red

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 07:23:26 PM »

I'm sure he did. Those look pretty good. He probably owned more than one pair of shoes though.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »

Are opinions going to change in early November?

No
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 07:46:11 PM »

when normal people think of the beatles, they think in terms of a hard days night and let it be. when people think of the beach boys, they think of kalifornia girls and surfer girl.

the more invested fans think in terms of sgt. pepper and smile

this will never change!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx