gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:40:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ELVIS  (Read 36787 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2006, 01:58:21 PM »

Lindsey Lohan.
Prob'ly change it to Priscilla soon.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
matt 1234
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2006, 03:55:58 PM »

I just like how crazy elvis was. Sure theres some great rock and roll there, but the lessons on fame and overindulgence you learn from watching anything about that guys life is way more valuable than any music he made, and i like the early stuff alot.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2006, 03:59:12 PM »

You might want to try the Elvis Country, 68 Special and From Elvis In Memphis albums. Then you may see that his finest work was 1968-1970.
And that his voice and artistry remained strong until his passing.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2006, 04:52:16 PM »

Amen.  Throughout that period, ballads that most singers would have turned into overblown fluff, Elvis sang them as if they were gospel.  Everything that we know of as encompassing the aura of ELVIS, he created.  The look, the sound, the social revolution that followed in his wake.  It's that simple.  He is such an icon that most people will be unable to appreciate the scope of what he created.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2006, 04:56:35 PM »

And an Amen right back to you.
The key point is that Elvis CREATED himself. He was not some dumb country boy. He wasn't intellectual about music either.
He INTUITIVELY crafted his art, through emotion and transcendance of musical labels and genres, races and sexes.
But make no mistake, Elvis did it, not Sam Phillips, not Colonel Parker, not his fans, nobody else but him.
Excellent points, Shaft.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2006, 05:16:07 PM »

Not to mention that he was pretty much his own producer from 1957 or so to 1965.  And Felton was hands off during the actual sessions, adding his touches usually in overdubs.  The Memphis sessions were the only "produced" sessions he did (besides his work with Sam Phillips).  He instinctively knew what he wanted in the studio and how to get it/foster it.

And that voice!  Flexible, powerful, subtle, full of emotion.
Jason
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2006, 05:49:51 PM »

I think Elvis' 1966 sessions are hideously underrated. There's so much class material, and his cover of I'll Remember You puts the Don Ho version to shame.

I love the Stax Sessions in '73. They produced one of my absolute favorite lesser-known Elvis tracks, Thinking About You. Beautiful song.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2006, 07:14:52 PM »

I think you have to blame RCA for that, Jason, or at least whoever was compiling and approving albums.  Had a studio album been released of that 1966 material, it would have been more noticed.  But burying I'll Remember You, Down In the Alley and Tomorrow Is A Long Time on the Spinout soundtrack?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2006, 07:43:08 PM »

Anybody aware that Lisa Marie Presley just got married for the 4th time?  Anybody care?
Jason
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2006, 08:11:03 AM »

I think you have to blame RCA for that, Jason, or at least whoever was compiling and approving albums.  Had a studio album been released of that 1966 material, it would have been more noticed.  But burying I'll Remember You, Down In the Alley and Tomorrow Is A Long Time on the Spinout soundtrack?

If you listen to the 1966 tracks purely on their own on the third disc of the 60s Masters box set, it's a fascinating listen. The beginning of the time when Elvis was singing like his life depended on it. That and the How Great Thou Art album.
Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2006, 01:20:36 PM »

Anybody aware that Lisa Marie Presley just got married for the 4th time?  Anybody care?
Hadn't heard. I hope it works out for her. Don't really know her music, but I like her, she strikes me as being pretty down to earth, whereas she could easily have wound up a clueless, pampered brat ala Paris Hilton.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2006, 01:30:43 PM »

I am happy for her. I love Lisa Marie.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2006, 05:57:55 AM »

Charlie Hodge is dead ! Probably one of the best and truest friends Elvis ever had. Never was a bad word about Elvis heard out of Charlie's mouth.
I'd like to post this snippet from the Jordanaires as a tribute to Charlie Hodge. May he rest in peace!  http://www.jordanaires.net/audios/The%20Jordanaires%20-%20Dig%20a%20Little%20Deeper.mp3

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2006, 08:07:39 AM »

This new FTD looks Great !!

Elvis Made In Memphis FTD CD
Style: EP-130-7035CD
Price: $29.98

Made in Memphis is a single-disc regular Follow That Dream release featuring outtakes from Elvis’s sessions in Memphis in 1969 (American Sound Studio), 1973 (Stax Recording Studio) and 1976 (the den at Graceland). There is an additional 5-song set of home recordings made at Sam Thompson’s place in November 1973. (Sam was a member of Elvis’s entourage and the brother of Linda Thompson, Elvis’s steady girlfriend from 1972 to 1976.)

Enjoy this classic CD, “Made in Memphis” and enjoy the sound of one of the best artists of all time.

Recorded January & February 1969, at American Sound, Memphis:
1) IN THE GHETTO - take 13 (Mac Davis)
2) YOU’LL THINK OF ME - take 8 (Mort Shuman)
3) DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM - take 4 (Bobby Russell)

Recorded July 1973, at Stax, Memphis:
4) IF YOU DON’T COME BACK - take 5 (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
5) THREE CORN PATCHES - takes 5 & 6 (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
6) FIND OUT WHAT’S HAPPENING - take 7 (Jerry Crutchfield)
7) IT’S MIDNIGHT - take 11 (Billy Edd Wheeler/Jerry Chesnut)
Cool THINKING ABOUT YOU - take 3 (Tim Baty)
9) YOU ASKED ME TO - take 1 (Waylon Jennings/Billy Joe Shaver)

Recorded February 1976, at Graceland, Memphis:

10) SOLITAIRE - take 7 + talk from 6 & 7 (Neil Sedaka/Phil Cody)
11) SHE THINKS I STILL CARE - take 3 & 4 (Dickey Lee)
12) MOODY BLUE - take 6 (Mark James)
13) BITTER THEY ARE, HARDER THEY FALL - take 1 (Larry Gatlin)
14) LOVE COMING DOWN - take 4 (Jerry Chesnut)
15) FOR THE HEART - take 5 (Dennis Linde)

Recorded early November 1973, at Sam Thompson’s House, Memphis:
16) BABY WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO (Jimmy Reed)
17) I’M SO LONESOME I COULD CRY (Hank Williams)
18) SPANISH EYES (Kaempfert/Singleton/Snyder)
19) SEE SEE RIDER Trad. Arr. by Elvis Presley)
20) THAT’S ALL RIGHT (Arthur Crudup)

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2006, 04:19:21 AM »

Yeah, everything Elvis recorded in Memphis is interesting to hear!

BTW here's my very favorite Elvis-live-performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3rezXX_w9o&search=elvis%20presley

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2006, 05:35:51 AM »

Does anybody have the "That's the way it is"-outtakes and could upload them on youtube ? "Yesterday" as  a studi rehearsal is already up there. From what I've heard there's really great stuff in these outtakes...

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2006, 03:50:58 AM »

WOW!!!!! Look at this :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxiGtr8QwXY&search=elvis%20presley

Shocked Shocked

- Jack Rieley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2006, 04:01:59 PM »

I've got 6 hours on DVD from those outtakes. Great stuff.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2006, 04:04:26 PM »

If only THAT could go in Elvis Complete....
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2006, 04:21:52 PM »

I'll see what I can do!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx