gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 12:50:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: judging from the tracklist what will make u smile from the Smile Sessions  (Read 7039 times)
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2011, 05:41:25 AM »

Ok apart from the fact we will hear it all as a whole and sessions too also not forgetting the Wild honey Surf's up. Which track, Sessions from the Smile Sessions box set will have the most wow factor?? Any thoughts??. For me it will be the chance to hear the sessions for Vegetables fade in super clear sound, & the Cabin Essence Tag Sessions too (Which to all of you who haven't heard it before on boots is breathtaking.     
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 06:31:13 AM »

Hearing everything (well mostly everything as there are a few acetates) in good quality  Smiley
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 06:36:06 AM »

Vegetables fade in super clear sound, & the Cabin Essence Tag Sessions too (Which to all of you who haven't heard it before on boots is breathtaking.      

I think that the "Vegetables" fade from Unsurpassed Masters, Vol. 17 is pretty clear. IMHO of course. Unless you weren't talking about what is commonly referred to as "Fade to Vegetables".

I am really (REALLY) excited for good quality "Child is Father of the Man"! All the booted stuff from this song have been really poor quality... Vigotone is all hissy... Secret Smile is all compressy... and then Unsurpassed Masters has a different version! Yeah, "Child" is going to be marvelous!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:37:31 AM by P.J. » Logged

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 07:01:51 AM »

Secret Smile stuff is where I'd first heard the Cabin Essence sessions and some Love to say da da sessions too. Can't wait to hear them in super clear sounds.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 07:38:21 AM »

The vegetables track I was thinking of is the "Vegetables fade session" on CD2 of Secret Smile. Can't wait to really hear this on the box set!!!
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 08:06:01 AM »

Can't wait to hear "Holidays" and "Child" and "Look" in best-possible quality. Very curious to hear what they've discovered (or done with) "Great Shape" and "Barnyard." If "Old Master Painter" does in fact have the barnshine fade, that would certainly make me ... grin. Can't wait to hear the Wild Honey "Surf's Up," and I'm itching to hear Mark Linett's all-Brian composite version. I'm getting the box from Amazon, so on 11/1/11 I'll pick up the 2-CD set somewhere; the first things I'll listen to are the WH "Surf's Up" and "H&V Pt 1" and "Pt 2." Then I'll let the disc one "album" play uninterrupted.

Not too much longer now! Does anyone think Capitol will release any tracks to stream online? Would they dare allow the whole ALBUM (the disc one "best attempt") to stream? Or would that be giving the game away? Wilco recently streamed their new album in its entirety for 24 hours, and even though I ripped the audio for my iPod, it only hardened my desire to BUY the album. Perhaps they'll stream just one of the "movements" to whet peoples' appetites...

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 08:16:53 AM »

What's "Barnshine"??
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 08:35:22 AM »

What's "Barnshine"??

It's the "False Barnyard" tag with some "Sunshine" lyrics sung over it ... hence "Barnshine."

Sean Murdock
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 08:46:10 AM »

Thanks for that but on what bootleg is "Barnshine" from?? Under which track?
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 09:12:43 AM »

I was thinking about this today, and about how desperate I've been to hear the Surf's Up '67 track, and how that has got to be one of the absolute jewels of this set, right? That was what I was gonna put down here as my 'must-hear' track. But then I got to thinking about how subjective so much of this is. OK, that's a self-evident statement. But what I mean is this. Opinion is so divided even among hardcore BB fans about, say, the merits of Smiley Smile versus pre-1967 albums, and, for example, the Smiley version of Wind Chimes versus whichever version from SMiLE... or, say, the Lei'd In Hawaii versions of God Only Knows or California Girls versus the originals... so what if the Surf's Up '67 recording is the same? Down-homier, sloppier, without as much vim and vigour behind it. Maybe even with some Baldwin organ over it, who knows? If so, in the end, once they've heard it a few times, some people might find it intellectually interesting that there's another version, but without actually *liking* it that much.

In this debate, I'm a card-carrying lover of the Smiley/Wild Honey sound *as well* as the big SMiLE productions, so I *still* say bring on Surf's Up '67 (I think the Lei'd In Hawaii Wally Heider version of God Only Knows comes very close to shading the Pet Sounds version, and sometimes, I prefer it - that's where I sit on that). But I'm just saying. At the moment a track like Surf's Up '67, by its unheard *potential*, has the power to excite all of us. In a couple of months, there might be people going 'Ugh, it's awful. Brian sounds like he doesn't care any more. Give me the December 66 piano demo or the 71 remake ANY DAY'.

It seems impossible at the moment that we might come to take an exciting unheard track like this for granted, but knowing how impassioned some people have got about track versions either side of the May 1967 watershed, just think about it; it could happen. Look at how some people will argue until they're blue in the face that the Summer 67 45 version of H&V is way better thought out, edited, produced and performed than the clunky, jerkily cut-together Cantina version from February the same year... plus the single has that amazing Baldwin organ holding it all together at the bass end... while at exactly the same time, others will argue passionately that the crazy, spontaneous, creatively cut-together Cantina mix is a true successor to Good Vibrations, whereas by the Summer, SMiLE was ashes in Brian's hands, and the 45 single was all he could scrape together from the remnants of his once-great vision. And in a fit of drug-addled madness, he slathered it in that awful Baldwin organ...

I hope I'm still excited by Surf's Up 67 in November - given that I like the WH-era piano sound and productions, I think there's a good chance I will. At the moment, that's my must-hear. Aside from that, I'm guessing we're not getting anything too amazingly rare, so I'll just be glad to have some more tracks and sessions in properly mixed stereo and mono...

Vegetables Fade and Wonderful sessions in decent quality would be amazing too. Anything else is gravy.
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 10:43:29 AM »

Not sure -- I've never heard it myself, only heard OF it. That's partly why I'm looking forward to it!  Grin

Sean Murdock
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »

Barnshine can be found on Secret Smile and from a different (clearer vocal) source on Project Smile. Hope that helps!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 12:42:59 PM »

I was thinking about this today, and about how desperate I've been to hear the Surf's Up '67 track, and how that has got to be one of the absolute jewels of this set, right? That was what I was gonna put down here as my 'must-hear' track. But then I got to thinking about how subjective so much of this is. OK, that's a self-evident statement. But what I mean is this. Opinion is so divided even among hardcore BB fans about, say, the merits of Smiley Smile versus pre-1967 albums, and, for example, the Smiley version of Wind Chimes versus whichever version from SMiLE... or, say, the Lei'd In Hawaii versions of God Only Knows or California Girls versus the originals... so what if the Surf's Up '67 recording is the same? Down-homier, sloppier, without as much vim and vigour behind it. Maybe even with some Baldwin organ over it, who knows? If so, in the end, once they've heard it a few times, some people might find it intellectually interesting that there's another version, but without actually *liking* it that much.

In this debate, I'm a card-carrying lover of the Smiley/Wild Honey sound *as well* as the big SMiLE productions, so I *still* say bring on Surf's Up '67 (I think the Lei'd In Hawaii Wally Heider version of God Only Knows comes very close to shading the Pet Sounds version, and sometimes, I prefer it - that's where I sit on that). But I'm just saying. At the moment a track like Surf's Up '67, by its unheard *potential*, has the power to excite all of us. In a couple of months, there might be people going 'Ugh, it's awful. Brian sounds like he doesn't care any more. Give me the December 66 piano demo or the 71 remake ANY DAY'.

It seems impossible at the moment that we might come to take an exciting unheard track like this for granted, but knowing how impassioned some people have got about track versions either side of the May 1967 watershed, just think about it; it could happen. Look at how some people will argue until they're blue in the face that the Summer 67 45 version of H&V is way better thought out, edited, produced and performed than the clunky, jerkily cut-together Cantina version from February the same year... plus the single has that amazing Baldwin organ holding it all together at the bass end... while at exactly the same time, others will argue passionately that the crazy, spontaneous, creatively cut-together Cantina mix is a true successor to Good Vibrations, whereas by the Summer, SMiLE was ashes in Brian's hands, and the 45 single was all he could scrape together from the remnants of his once-great vision. And in a fit of drug-addled madness, he slathered it in that awful Baldwin organ...

I hope I'm still excited by Surf's Up 67 in November - given that I like the WH-era piano sound and productions, I think there's a good chance I will. At the moment, that's my must-hear. Aside from that, I'm guessing we're not getting anything too amazingly rare, so I'll just be glad to have some more tracks and sessions in properly mixed stereo and mono...

Vegetables Fade and Wonderful sessions in decent quality would be amazing too. Anything else is gravy.

Great post, as usual, Matt.

Yes, Surf's Up 1967 could turn out to be something quite different than what many of us are imagining it to be. That's an excellent point.  Even if something is, in its own way, a revelation, it doesn't necessarily make for the most enjoyable listening experience.  When the 'Humble Harv' demo surfaced back in 1998, everyone was blown away, but let's face it.  'Humble Harv' is what it is (i.e., an unpolished, warts-and-all demo that even includes a Brian Wilson coughing spell).

Nonetheless, the fact that Surf's Up 1967 made it onto Disc 1 makes me think that we'll indeed be getting something quite special.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 01:27:44 PM »

The whole thing of course, but more specifically the Wonderful/(Look)Song For Children/Child Is Father Of The Man/Surf's Up suite. 
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 02:35:30 PM »

It's on Secret Smile, disc 2, track 5. I believe it's called "The Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine (Part 2)"

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
ghost
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 02:48:29 PM »

My favorite part of Smile: wahala lu lei, wahala lu la, keeni wakapula... hoping they include that take with the crazy slide guitar. Do You Like Worms is one hell of a song. It starts out sounding exactly how one sometimes feels tripping - 3 years old bouncing up and down and side to side in arbitrary joyousness.

The Rock Rock Roll... is so hazy & stoned on Smile compared to BWPS
it sounds like they just finished passing around a joint as thick as Murry's neck.

You were my sunshine, myyy only sunshine
how could you take my sunshine away

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 02:51:19 PM »

... so what if the Surf's Up '67 recording is the same? Down-homier, sloppier, without as much vim and vigour behind it. Maybe even with some Baldwin organ over it, who knows?

I just came.....
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 02:54:21 PM »

I actually made a list of the things I'm most excited for, oddly enough, but anyways, the things I'm super psyched for on the main album are "Surf's Up" (just to have an official all-Brian version with the first half instrumentation), "Child Is Father Of The Man" (to hear it nice and clearly, with the lovely chorus vocals on top, mmmmm!), "Do You Like Worms" (just to see if maybe we got some new vocals, and also to have all the correct speeds on the track), "Barnyard", and "I'm In Great Shape" (hopefully to hear lead vocals on both!).

And then for the rest, "Heroes and Villains" parts 1 and 2 are huge just to see what those end up like. "Surf's Up 1967" obviously is something I can't wait for. I'm also intrigued by the third version of "Wonderful" that's apparently from April '67, as I'm not really sure what that is, and I'm pretty sure I never heard it. Both of the versions of "Child Is Father Of The Man" from disc 3 also have me excited, as I'm assuming they will be different from the "album" version. They'll both probably not have any vocals either. Then also, I'm excited to see what "Da Da" is, along with "I Don't Know" by Denny. And finally, I'm intrigued to see why the two versions of "Cool, Cool Water" are included, and if "You're With Me Tonight" is something along the lines of the Hawthorne set or if it was more Smiley Smile-ish
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 03:10:39 PM »

I'm also intrigued by the third version of "Wonderful" that's apparently from April '67, as I'm not really sure what that is, and I'm pretty sure I never heard it.

Great picks, but this is one I really anticipate too.  What they have on UM vol. 18 is gorgeous.  I'm hoping we get even more on TSS.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 04:30:45 AM »

Hearing everything (well mostly everything as there are a few acetates) in good quality  Smiley

What acetates?Huh?

Cheers

Richard
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 04:39:14 AM »

Child Is The Father of The Man (on disc one) and Teeter Totter Love are the only two tracks on the box sourced from acetates, he means.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Paulos
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 04:52:06 AM »

I'm really looking forward to hearing a good quality version of Mrs O'Leary's Cow - Fire, (I love the BWPS version) surprised that no one else has really mentioned this. 
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 06:35:35 AM »

Child Is The Father of The Man (on disc one) and Teeter Totter Love are the only two tracks on the box sourced from acetates, he means.

I thought it was one of the alternate versions of Child that was sourced from an acetate.

That stinks they couldn't find a better source. That was one of the tracks I was looking forward too in better quality. Oh well, the guitar part of that still gives me the chills (in a good way.)
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 06:49:10 AM »

I thought it was one of the alternate versions of Child that was sourced from an acetate.

That stinks they couldn't find a better source. That was one of the tracks I was looking forward too in better quality. Oh well, the guitar part of that still gives me the chills (in a good way.)

Well, we don't know how good the acetate sounds yet. If it's in really good shape to begin with, they can make it sound spectacular -- and if that's the only way to get elements (vocals, overdubs) that might be missing from the tapes, I'll take it!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:11:34 AM by seanmurd » Logged

Sean Murdock
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 07:05:12 AM »

Exactly - the fact it's on disc 1 is hugely promising.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx