gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 09:04:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Friends" discussion thread  (Read 21019 times)
ghost
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »

Didn't someone say Desper had 'acid humor' or something like that? Maybe he and Brian should've taken a tab or two and finished Smile one night...

"Acid humor" refers to a sense of humor that is very biting; nothing to do with any kind of drug use.

so Desper wasn't tripping while coming up with the production ideas for Sunflower and Surf's Up? damn, pop every bubble of my dreams why don't you jason
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2011, 10:10:37 AM »

Throughout the past decades each and every Friends reissue should've went to the shops with a big sticker on the cover that reads "Brian Wilson's favorite album". Maybe people would have listened.

The overall sound of Sunflower is just fine to these ears. There's something plastic about it, yes, but it fits the mood of the actual song material quite well I think. Some of the songs may be a little sappy and personally I find some of the lyrics a bit over-the-top (both "Forever" and "Tears in the Morning" come to mind), but as a whole the album sounds so incredibly inspired that I wouldn't want to take off any of the individual songs. Also I wouldn't be surprised if BW's influence on the Sunflower sessions was somewhat underrated at times.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2011, 10:25:31 AM »

Throughout the past decades each and every Friends reissue should've went to the shops with a big sticker on the cover that reads "Brian Wilson's favorite album". Maybe people would have listened.

The overall sound of Sunflower is just fine to these ears. There's something plastic about it, yes, but it fits the mood of the actual song material quite well I think. Some of the songs may be a little sappy and personally I find some of the lyrics a bit over-the-top (both "Forever" and "Tears in the Morning" come to mind), but as a whole the album sounds so incredibly inspired that I wouldn't want to take off any of the individual songs. Also I wouldn't be surprised if BW's influence on the Sunflower sessions was somewhat underrated at times.
Brian's amazing work on Sunflower was his last stand as a willing and somewhat healthy Beach Boy.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
InAnOcean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2011, 03:25:49 PM »

Just in case there are some people on the board who don't have a copy of "Sunflower" with the write up on the back, here's an excerpt:

"The songs on this record were recorded in true stereophonic sound; they are not 16 monophonic signals placed somewhere between left and right speakers blended together with echo, but rather total stereo capturing the ambiance of the room and the sound in perspective as heard naturally by the ear.  Although more difficult to perfect, this type of recording is far more satisfying to hear, as will be demonstrated upon playing this album."

Just figured I'd post that, as there seems to be some discussion as to whether Pet Sounds or Sunflower sound better.  Not that I' have a particular strong opinion here, I'm just contributing some information for everybody.  But anyways, let's talk FRIENDS.

Always loved how at times they say "FULL" all together in "Be Here In The Morning," while at other times in the song they refrain from doing so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vbclu8ELDE&feature=related
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2011, 04:19:26 PM »

Agreed. I definitely prefer Little Bird over Forever.

color me confused. still.

I think this is the point that I am making, if we just take these two songs as an example...

I can completely understand you preferring Little Bird and that's a perfectly valid personal opinion to have. But I presume that you wouldn't disagree that the general opinion is that Forever is the superior song and is considered to be Dennis's finest song with the group. That's why it was included on Warmth of the Sun and has been part of setlists for decades. Critics also seem to be of that opinion.

When I am rating the albums I try to separate my own personal opinion with general opinion. Now with Friends I don't think there are any songs that are generally ranked as being genuinely great. If the top 50 BB songs were being nominated by non-hardcore fans then Friends and Busy Doin' Nothing might scrape in at the bottom (might not). Little Bird wouldn't though whereas I think it's fair to say that a song like Forever certainly would...

I really doubt that either song would make the average fan's Top 50... not sure if the average fan could even name 50 Beach Boy tunes.

Any song by Dennis is pretty obscure, and the only reason "Forever" has the edge would be thanks to John Stamos I'd imagine.

If the average person were to listen to both songs and pick their favorite, I think it would be a pretty even draw.
"Forever" is a fairly standard romantic ballad which some people prefer. "Little Bird" is more interesting sonically and lyrically, which others would prefer.

Alas, the point is moot because the average person will never hear either one.
Nicko1234
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2011, 02:07:19 AM »

Any song by Dennis is pretty obscure, and the only reason "Forever" has the edge would be thanks to John Stamos I'd imagine.

If the average person were to listen to both songs and pick their favorite, I think it would be a pretty even draw.
"Forever" is a fairly standard romantic ballad which some people prefer. "Little Bird" is more interesting sonically and lyrically, which others would prefer.

I think you are letting personal feelings get in the way of the facts there...

Forever was included on Warmth of the Sun and Hawthorne because it's considered to be Dennis's strongest BB song.

For the same reason it has been performed on stage for decades by the various factions of the band.

And the critics pretty much unanimously pick this one out.

Anyway, getting off topic and I do like Friends as an album.
ghost
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2011, 06:22:02 AM »

If every fart I made
could make you laugh
I'd fart forever

Tongue
Jason
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2011, 07:37:05 AM »

I think you are letting personal feelings get in the way of the facts there...

Forever was included on Warmth of the Sun and Hawthorne because it's considered to be Dennis's strongest BB song.

For the same reason it has been performed on stage for decades by the various factions of the band.

And the critics pretty much unanimously pick this one out.

Anyway, getting off topic and I do like Friends as an album.

I'd also think that the fact that Little Bird didn't survive past mid-1968 in the band's setlists while Forever kept coming back every so often is indicative of something.
ghost
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2011, 07:38:34 AM »

Lots of amazing songs didn't even ever make the setlists. Or Brian's now. I Know There's An Answer should've been a live staple since 1966.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2011, 04:56:49 PM »

It seems I am the minority when I say that "Friends" isn't one of my favorites.  I rather prefer "Sunflower" or "Carl and The Passions, So Tough" over it. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2011, 02:24:27 AM »

It seems I am the minority when I say that "Friends" isn't one of my favorites.  I rather prefer "Sunflower" or "Carl and The Passions, So Tough" over it. 
They're all good, but I'm with you to the point that like Pet Sounds, I have to be in a certain type of mood to enjoy the Friends album. It is a great album to de-stress with.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2011, 02:25:47 PM »

the whole first side except 4 passing by is horrible smh
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2011, 09:22:19 PM »

"Passing By","Anna Lee The Healer","Busy Doin' Nothin'","diamond head"...those are the only 4 good songs on that album ..so outta 1-10 it gets a 5.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2011, 09:24:41 PM »

the whole first side except 4 passing by is horrible smh

"Wake the World", "Friends", and especially "Meant For You" are, uh, "horrible"?

*cries*

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2011, 09:29:18 PM »

I don't think I like newguy562

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2011, 09:31:36 PM »

nobody on this site likes me..it's ok tho ..at the end of the day everybody is a beach boys fan so i dnt hate anyone.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2011, 09:39:53 PM »

nobody on this site likes me..it's ok tho ..at the end of the day everybody is a beach boys fan so i dnt hate anyone.

Friends is the best Beach Boys album, are you blind man?

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2011, 09:44:08 PM »

just deaf apparently
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »

Friends is a masterpiece. It's my 3rd fave after Smile and Pet Sounds, but I love it just as much as those two. That recent charity single with the acapella friends vocals is just amazing. Those backing vocals!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:47:54 PM by mammy blue » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2011, 09:47:23 PM »

Friends is a masterpiece. It's my 3rd fave after Smile and Pet Sounds, but I love it just as much as those two.

This guy...this guy is alright by me

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2011, 09:51:21 PM »

Friends is a masterpiece. It's my 3rd fave after Smile and Pet Sounds, but I love it just as much as those two.

the best is pet sounds, wild honey and smile sessions Smiley ..friends is at the bottom with holland and so tough lol
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2011, 09:53:09 PM »

the best is pet sounds, wild honey and smile sessions Smiley ..friends is at the bottom with holland and so tough lol

ugh

mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »

That's cool man, I can dig Wild Honey's appeal. I just feel like Friends was Brian letting his guard down again a bit after his post-Smile retreat. I love the laid back vibe and unusual chords and arrangements. Only one other BB album would have such a strong Brian imprint on it after this one, Love You. But here we still get to hear his sweet voice.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2011, 10:01:43 PM »

ugh
bro it's just one opinion..there will be alot of others agreeing with u....personally i think wild honey..even 20/20 is better.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2011, 05:13:54 PM »

Every summer when I go back to the Midwest to visit family and friends I take the Friends CD along.  It's definitely one of my top 3 favorites in the BB's canon.

Thing is, FRIENDS actually BETTER than most people realize.  It's a masterpiece of "pop".  Glorious in every way.  Its genius is that it underwhelms you; but it slowly insinuates itself into your unconscious, until you are hypnotized by it.  I was, and I'm a lifelong Beatles fan.  But it truly is a masterpiece.  Well worth study.

I actually prefer the Beach Boys AFTER Pet Sounds.  Wild Honey, 20/20, Sunflower, Friends, man, THAT'S incredible music.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 05:15:05 PM by heysaboda » Logged

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx