gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:10:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Friends" discussion thread  (Read 20798 times)
ThunderRyan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2011, 08:46:21 PM »

I would like to know everyones feelings on 'Friends', since it appears sometimes that 'Friends' can bring about 'Love You'-like polarization. I've heard opinions strongly for and strongly against 'Friends', that depend on who you ask about it. It was a humble tribute to the state of being calm, which of course did not resonate with 1968 turbulence.
Personally I love 'Friends', I've loved it since i first heard it. I feel its 'classic' Brian's swan song, since everything after that (until 15BO/ LY) lacked his absolute power and/or interest.
What're everyone's thoughts on Friends?
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 08:57:28 PM »

I disagree. Sunflower? What about that?

A discipline daddy.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:00:02 PM »

One of the best Beach Boys albums ever. Every song on there has the experimental element of Smiley Smile but it is full of the honesty and beauty of Pet Sounds....and thus, I think it is a close representation of the feeling SMiLE would have brought.

The whole album is like an entire day/lifetime rolled into one album. It has the concept of sunrise (Wake The World), along with the concept of conception (When a Man Needs A Woman), the concept of living peacefully with friends in nature (Anna Lee, TM, Little Bird, Friends), the concept of love (Meant for You, Be Here In The Mornin), and the instrumentals make it flow along nicely. It is a well rounded Beach Boys album with contributions from almost everyone in the band.

Some don't like it, as you mention. Even Bruce Johnston thinks it sucks...what a tremendous shame. I think it's a pretty spectacular album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:04:08 PM »

Though I think Sunflower is a great album, to me it sounds like it lacks Brian's presence. His production style from previous albums is missing on this one - everything sounds too crisp and clean...it's not the muddy/Wall-of-Sound/experimental type of album that we are all used to hearing come from Brian.

I think Sunflower lacks some of Brian's power, but everyone else in the band chipped in and made up for it - it's one hell of an album!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
ThunderRyan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 09:19:31 PM »

Though I think Sunflower is a great album, to me it sounds like it lacks Brian's presence. His production style from previous albums is missing on this one - everything sounds too crisp and clean...it's not the muddy/Wall-of-Sound/experimental type of album that we are all used to hearing come from Brian.

I think Sunflower lacks some of Brian's power, but everyone else in the band chipped in and made up for it - it's one hell of an album!

Exactly. Sunflower was the group's collection of songs under a Brian Wilson influence. Friends was a Brian Wilson album under a group influence (besides Dennis' songs and the instrumental).
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:20:15 PM »

After the summer of '68, was Brian ever fully engaged in the studio? For an entire album, I mean?
MBE
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 09:31:22 PM »

After the summer of '68, was Brian ever fully engaged in the studio? For an entire album, I mean?
Sunflower would be the closest if you are talking peak level Brian. The 1976-77 stuff is pretty much Brian in control but I think his old follow through was missing by then.
ghost
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 10:06:20 PM »

One of the best Beach Boys albums ever. Every song on there has the experimental element of Smiley Smile but it is full of the honesty and beauty of Pet Sounds....and thus, I think it is a close representation of the feeling SMiLE would have brought.

The whole album is like an entire day/lifetime rolled into one album. It has the concept of sunrise (Wake The World), along with the concept of conception (When a Man Needs A Woman), the concept of living peacefully with friends in nature (Anna Lee, TM, Little Bird, Friends), the concept of love (Meant for You, Be Here In The Mornin), and the instrumentals make it flow along nicely. It is a well rounded Beach Boys album with contributions from almost everyone in the band.

Some don't like it, as you mention. Even Bruce Johnston thinks it sucks...what a tremendous shame. I think it's a pretty spectacular album.

no need to say "even" bruce johnston... the guy clearly has no taste since he thinks so poorly of most of what we love of brian's work through the years...

it's like... whatever bruce. bad mouth your own band's albums, good going, why did we let you in the band anyway? talk about flaunting around on thin ice already. who the hell is bruce johnston and when did he crown himself grand determinator of which beach boys albums are good?

friends is more music that bruce himself could never make. when bruce writes a song it falls into two categories - sentimental slush and cheap tacky rip offery.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 10:14:41 PM »

no need to say "even" bruce johnston... the guy clearly has no taste since he thinks so poorly of most of what we love of brian's work through the years...

it's like... whatever bruce. bad mouth your own band's albums, good going, why did we let you in the band anyway? talk about flaunting around on thin ice already. who the hell is bruce johnston and when did he crown himself grand determinator of which beach boys albums are good?

friends is more music that bruce himself could never make. when bruce writes a song it falls into two categories - sentimental slush and cheap tacky rip offery.

Your 5th best post EVER Ghost!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
MBE
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 10:34:58 PM »

Hate to do it but I agree
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 10:38:53 PM »

Absolutely beautiful album and, really, one of Brian's most cohesive efforts. I think he was really aiming at a comeback here but when it failed so spectacularly he just gave up. People say Smile was the straw that broke the camel's back - but what about Friends?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 10:52:45 PM »

Friends has been a long time favorite of mine for about 15 years or so. Somebody bought it for me when I was still just a casual fan who didn't know any songs besides the surf songs. I loved it immediately. Ann Lee, The Healer is still one of the coolest things I've ever heard in music. Even with the lyric sheet and stand crashing down right in the middle of the song.  Grin
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:59:57 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 10:58:58 PM »

i dunno it's not like alan jardine had many original songs himself, although at least he ripped off some stately kingston trio jams. this can almost get him forgiven for "susie cincinnati" -- although not its attempted issue on three singles and one album!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 11:06:27 PM »

Friends is my personal favorite BB album, I don't know how it manages to evade all forms of critical recognition.

I think Friends more than any other album demonstrates a Beatles influence. Though Pet Sounds and Rubber Soul get compared, and Smile and Sgt Peppers, I think Friends is actually the one most directly influenced by The Beatles. Passing By seems like a classic Brian Wilson put on, where as the Beatles had an instrumental about Flying Brian did one about riding in an elevator.
There are so many great little details on the album, it's subtle, I love it.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
ghost
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 11:16:14 PM »

Charles Manson is The Little Bird.  Evil
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:17:57 PM by ghost » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 11:22:44 PM »

I'm obviously a huge fan of 'Friends'... in the end it is my favorite album of all time I suppose.

It's just so cozy and comfortable. Brian was in a really happy place it sounds like... no longer in competition with the Beatles or Spector. Not trying to blow anyone's mind. Just making music that he felt like making that made him feel good. The opening notes of "When a Man Needs a Woman" never fail to put a huge grin on my face. I just love it so much.

"Meant For You" is kind of like "Our Prayer" as the short little opener but it has real honest, heartfelt intention. The title track is absolutely gorgeous, and the arrangement/production/instrumentation doesn't really get the credit it deserves.

Denny's contributions are really special, and you can really hear Brian's helping hand on "Little Bird".

"Busy Doin Nothin" is in a class of its own. I'm a bossa nova freak, and I just love the quirky lyrics and subject matter. So Brian.

I'm a pedal steel freak too so I absolutely love "Diamond Head"... a steel instrumental on a Beach Boys album? I'm in heaven. I also spent my childhood on Oahu, so that tune just really does it for me.

I agree with some that "Transcendental Meditation" is a bit jarring as the album closer... but I still really enjoy it. Those horns are pretty mind-blowing actually. Literally.

I would love if "I Went To Sleep" had been included, and maybe "We're Together Again" but the album is still perfect in my ears.

For a long time, Brian said 'Friends' was his favorite Beach Boys album. 'Love You' was also a popular choice for him. Haven't heard anyone ask him lately, but I know he's really proud of the 'SMiLE' music once again, as well he should be.

'Sunflower' is a wonderful album, but it just doesn't have the full Brian involvement and magic of 'Friends'... he seems like more of a contributor on that one, whereas 'Friends' feels more like Brian's baby. It really was his swan song in a lot of ways, and a beautiful one at that. I'm so glad it exists!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:31:41 PM by bossaroo » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 11:35:56 PM »

I find Friend to be one of the more cohesive bb albums and it has an incredible flow, apart from transcendental meditation at the end - what's that about?

I remember onlynoticing the complexity of the arrangementsand production after years of listening. Definitely a renewed effort by Brian after smiley and wild honey.

If only I went to sleep had made the cut. Could have been the perfect album with its addition. I can never remember - is that from the friends or 20/20 sessions?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 12:01:17 AM »

no. no he isn't.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »

I'm obviously a huge fan of 'Friends'... in the end it is my favorite album of all time I suppose.

It's just so cozy and comfortable. Brian was in a really happy place it sounds like... no longer in competition with the Beatles or Spector. Not trying to blow anyone's mind. Just making music that he felt like making that made him feel good. The opening notes of "When a Man Needs a Woman" never fail to put a huge grin on my face. I just love it so much.

"Meant For You" is kind of like "Our Prayer" as the short little opener but it has real honest, heartfelt intention. The title track is absolutely gorgeous, and the arrangement/production/instrumentation doesn't really get the credit it deserves.

Denny's contributions are really special, and you can really hear Brian's helping hand on "Little Bird".

"Busy Doin Nothin" is in a class of its own. I'm a bossa nova freak, and I just love the quirky lyrics and subject matter. So Brian.

I'm a pedal steel freak too so I absolutely love "Diamond Head"... a steel instrumental on a Beach Boys album? I'm in heaven. I also spent my childhood on Oahu, so that tune just really does it for me.

I agree with some that "Transcendental Meditation" is a bit jarring as the album closer... but I still really enjoy it. Those horns are pretty mind-blowing actually. Literally.

I would love if "I Went To Sleep" had been included, and maybe "We're Together Again" but the album is still perfect in my ears.

For a long time, Brian said 'Friends' was his favorite Beach Boys album. 'Love You' was also a popular choice for him. Haven't heard anyone ask him lately, but I know he's really proud of the 'SMiLE' music once again, as well he should be.

'Sunflower' is a wonderful album, but it just doesn't have the full Brian involvement and magic of 'Friends'... he seems like more of a contributor on that one, whereas 'Friends' feels more like Brian's baby. It really was his swan song in a lot of ways, and a beautiful one at that. I'm so glad it exists!

Spot on, A+, Post of the century.

ghost
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 12:05:27 AM »

no. no he isn't.

of course it is. little bird is a song dennis wrote after hearing charlie wax poetic about life and then headed off into the city in dennis' car. he waited for him to return and mowed the lawn while waiting, still thinking about what manson had said "not to worry about my life".

manson also sang, like a bird
and he was known as a cheerful fellow back then, before the end of 1969
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 12:15:17 AM »

yeah ok. i disagree.  Razz

apparently "I Went To Sleep" and "We're Together Again" were both started but not completed when 'Friends' was released.

and what are these other Friends-era tunes:

You're As Cool As You Can Be
Our Happy Home
Even Steven as the early version of Busy Doin Nothin?

have these been heard by anyone here? are they available on anything at all??
man I would kill for an expanded deluxe edition of 'Friends' with sessions, outtakes, a capella and backing tracks, and some of these unreleased tunes.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 12:25:56 AM »

apparently "I Went To Sleep" and "We're Together Again" were both started but not completed when 'Friends' was released.

Our Happy Home

man I would kill for an expanded deluxe edition of 'Friends' with sessions, outtakes, a capella and backing tracks, and some of these unreleased tunes.

They may very well be nothing. I would venture that Our Happy Home is When a Man Needs a Woman. There's also Indian Wisdom, which there happens to be a thread about right now, but if anything I think any songs that didn't make the cut probably just exist as a minute long fragment if anything.
I've heard there were some demos from Friends, in the American Band doc you can hear a piano version of Friends I think, but that's all I've ever heard in the way of demos.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 01:14:34 AM »

Our Happy Home

Ok so I went to sleep and we're together again could qualify for inclusion depending on your criteria.

Here's a question for AGD or similar board boffins: There is an incredible backing track only version of We're Together Again on (iirc) the Leiid in Hawaii boot. It has a slide guitar part mixed quite prominently and as a result ends up sounding like a mix between George Harrison and Therapies Son http://therapiesson.bandcamp.com/ (worth checking out Smile/Ram era Paul MccCartney freaks!). I want to know if this backing track was laid down during the Friends sessions?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 01:41:15 AM »

Lately he seems to be quite fond of Summer Days, which I think is probably his least interesting choice ever (great album though).
Nicko1234
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 06:09:07 AM »

Friends is a very nice album that hangs together well (until almost the end) but it doesn't have any great songs on it. If I were to pick out my favourite 50 BB songs then I doubt any from Friends would make the cut.

7 out of 10.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx