gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 12:16:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The decline in Brian's piano playing  (Read 9436 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2011, 01:36:03 PM »

With that in mind, Brian doesn't seem to be able to sing and play these songs at the same time anymore.

This is wrong.

As we've all seen in person or via clips, Brian does sit there with his hands to the side and hardly plays the piano

This is also wrong.

Depending on the show, Brian now plays the piano -- in the mix, and relatively accurately -- for most of his sets. This is a relatively new development, but even at the start of touring (99, 2000), he would usually play on a song or two. In My Room, often. During the Smile shows, he also would play during Wind Chimes.

Starting with the shows in fall 2009 (and possibly earlier, but I don't recall more confirmed reports), he began to play throughout the sets. When I saw him in November 09, he even played during Heroes and Villains.

Now, is it absolutely necessary that he play? Of course not. Does he play during every song, or the same amount every show? Nope. The whole set up of the touring band is meant to support his vocal performance above all. But as he's gotten comfortable with the band, he has increasingly engaged as a player.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2011, 02:01:51 PM »

Depending on the show, Brian now plays the piano -- in the mix, and relatively accurately -- for most of his sets. This is a relatively new development, but even at the start of touring (99, 2000), he would usually play on a song or two. In My Room, often. During the Smile shows, he also would play during Wind Chimes.

I don't know about some of the other examples you name but I remember the Wind Chimes portion when I saw BWPS live. From what I can remember the stage went black and there was a spotlight on Brian playing. Outside the spotlight though, I saw, in fact, that Darian was playing his keyboard. So either Brian wasn't actually playing or he was being backed up with Darian, though it sounded to me to be only one keyboard.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2011, 02:16:16 PM »

Brian was playing a simple part. There are like three or four overdubbed keyboards on the record, so all of the keyboardists in the band play during the section live, and it gave Brian a nice little moment.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2011, 07:34:29 PM »

Brian and Darian were probably playing together...I seem to remember that the concert portion of the Smile DVD, you can clearly hear two keyboards playing together during that section, ever-so-slightly out of sync.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2011, 04:52:11 PM »

With that in mind, Brian doesn't seem to be able to sing and play these songs at the same time anymore.

This is wrong.

As we've all seen in person or via clips, Brian does sit there with his hands to the side and hardly plays the piano

This is also wrong.

Starting with the shows in fall 2009 (and possibly earlier, but I don't recall more confirmed reports), he began to play throughout the sets. When I saw him in November 09, he even played during Heroes and Villains.

Now, is it absolutely necessary that he play? Of course not. Does he play during every song, or the same amount every show? Nope. The whole set up of the touring band is meant to support his vocal performance above all. But as he's gotten comfortable with the band, he has increasingly engaged as a player.

Brian obviously plays when he wants to.  The times I've seen him--he hasn't played much.   
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2011, 05:47:11 PM »

Oh, sure. I've seen him seven times now -- and this is what I recall, piano wise.

2000 PS symphonic
Piano during In My Room

2001 w/Paul Simon
No piano

2004 Smile
Piano for Wind Chimes

2007 PS with Al
Don't recall piano at all here

2008 Hampton Beach
Likewise, no piano that I recall

2009 fall tour
Lots of piano at both
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2011, 01:53:06 AM »

I saw/heard him play the intro to Marcella on piano in 2004.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2011, 04:27:41 AM »

Brian and Darian were probably playing together...I seem to remember that the concert portion of the Smile DVD, you can clearly hear two keyboards playing together during that section, ever-so-slightly out of sync.

Yup, there's one person playing the melody of that ba...ba-ba... ba-ba ba-ba ba ba ba, and the other playing chords.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2011, 04:28:45 AM »

Of course he played part of Rhapsody in Blue on the Smile DVD...not very well, but he played it.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2011, 05:22:42 AM »

I love the bit when Brian plays Rhapsody in Blue on the Smile DVD and goes into H&V. A highlight of Brian's playing for me. Thanks for reminding me of this Amy Smiley
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2011, 07:54:52 AM »

Bob Hanes and I use to talk about this alot. I have also noticed that Brian can turn everything on and off when he wants. Jon Stebbins writes in his book that Brian is not as present as he was back in 1976 even. I think this is due to the many incorrect RX Landy had him on. Also, the amounts of drugs that Brian took (coke etc) in the late 1970's and early 80's really did do a number on his short term memory. But Brian did also have a large amount of damage from the prescribed ones as well. In 1988, Landy had him on Eskalith,  Elevil , Xanax, Halcion, and Inderal. That is a potent cocktail right there.

But Brian can still play when he wants to. Look at him on the Beautiful Dreamer extras playing Good Vibrations. His left hand is going crazy on that groove during the chourus. That rocks. And that is exactly the way he played it on Saturday Night Live in 1976. There is STILL alot of Brian in Brian. He is gonna be 70 years old next June. Cut the dude some slack!

Bob
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx