gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:18:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jon's new book  (Read 20221 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2011, 01:50:15 AM »

Could it be:

50 Sides of The Beach Boys by Mark Dillon.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10218.0.html

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2011, 03:08:34 AM »

Could it be:

50 Sides of The Beach Boys by Mark Dillon.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10218.0.html

Exactly !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2011, 06:43:44 PM »

Coming to a bookstore near you in June 2012...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 06:45:02 PM by Mark Dillon » Logged

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2011, 06:52:42 PM »

Finally reading this book more...and using it in a college essay for my History of Rock class as a resource  Smiley
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2011, 09:08:46 PM »

Excellent, looking forward to it!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2011, 03:33:14 PM »

Finally reading this book more...and using it in a college essay for my History of Rock class as a resource  Smiley
Wright on! Hope you get a good grade.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2011, 04:03:11 PM »

Wright on! Hope you get a good grade.

Thanks Mr. Stebbins.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2011, 09:02:19 AM »

A wealth of reviews on my new The Beach Boys FAQ book are starting to accumulate... below is a link to some particularly kind comments ...
http://www.thejonstebbins.com/beachboysfaq-reviews.html

And here's a review that appeared in this weeks Scene magazine in London...

THE BEACH BOYS FAQ: ALL THAT’S LEFT TO KNOW ABOUT AMERICA’S BAND BY JON STEBBINS • BACKBEAT BOOKS, 2011 • 318 PAGES

It’s only fair to preface this review by saying I’m a big fan of the Beach Boys. For me, pop music hit a high watermark with the intricate, unmistakable har- monies of the Wilson boys – Carl, Dennis, Brian – their cousin Mike Love, fami- ly friend Al Jardine, surrogate Bruce Johnson and a rotating cast of band mates. Pair those voices with some of the most inspired music of its time, and you’ve got a listening experience that’s both genuinely transcendent and demonstra- bly appealing to the masses. Now, I’m willing to accept that the Beach Boys are also one of the most polarizing cultural entities of the last half-century and that not everybody feels the same way as me about their contribution to popu- lar music. But if you are fan of the group with an appetite for the minutiae of their career, author Jon Stebbins’ recently released book - The Beach Boys FAQ: All That’s Left to Know about America’s Band – will be indispensible addition to your library. It’s all here, presented in compact, tightly-written essays: the band’s early days, an examination of father Murray Wilson’s impact on the band, inventories of artistic and public relation missteps, evalu- ations of creative triumphs – including commentaries on the making of Pet Sounds, Good Vibrations and the aborted Smile Sessions – chapters exploring the troubled genius of Brian Wilson, the obscured genius of Dennis Wilson and the obstinate genius of Mike Love; as well as lists of band members – past and pres- ent – album track listings, chart performances – in short, pretty much everything promised by the book’s title. Through it all, Stebbins – who’s been involved with numerous Beach Boy-related projects - retains his authoritative voice on the subject without becoming authoritarian, which imbues the text with the appeal of listening to a well-informed friend rave about his favourite musical group. A “one-one-wonderful” effort.

Chris Morgan
Scene Magazine, London
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 27, 2011, 09:32:11 AM »

Pretty much done with the book, about the start on the Wilson Bro's being Carpenters...and actually 1/2 through that...It was awesome seeing "official" information about the Cocaine Sessions...some of that info, I had no idea about...just the audio and the Les Chan interview, which took place around that time, right?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2011, 11:06:47 AM »

I just received my new kindle in the mail yesterday.  After reading this thread I immediately went to the kindle "store" to purchase the new book along with the Lost Beach Boy. 

After surfing around and looking under different tabs links, etc, I found no kindle books by Jon and precious few about the beach boys on kindle.  The only thing of interest to me was the Carlin book, which I have read thrice in hard back.
You can get it on kindle for 10.00 US dollars.

I found a menu where one could request that a publisher make a certain book availabe on kindle.  No promises.

Wtih Borders and others closing, and kindle having such a sparse selection, I guess I'll have to resort to buying paper books through Amazon.

I had hoped I could get most anything on the kindle.  Very disappointed.  (Not with Jon, but with the kindle).
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2011, 09:59:10 AM »

I just received my new kindle in the mail yesterday.  After reading this thread I immediately went to the kindle "store" to purchase the new book along with the Lost Beach Boy. 

After surfing around and looking under different tabs links, etc, I found no kindle books by Jon and precious few about the beach boys on kindle.  The only thing of interest to me was the Carlin book, which I have read thrice in hard back.
You can get it on kindle for 10.00 US dollars.

I found a menu where one could request that a publisher make a certain book availabe on kindle.  No promises.

Wtih Borders and others closing, and kindle having such a sparse selection, I guess I'll have to resort to buying paper books through Amazon.

I had hoped I could get most anything on the kindle.  Very disappointed.  (Not with Jon, but with the kindle).
Sorry Donald...I'm lobbying like crazy to make the FAQ book available on Kindle and other digital formats...not sure yet if I have the leverage to succeed. I can say without a doubt the new edition of the Real Beach Boy will be immediately offered as a digital product at the time of its release, on that one i do have the necessary leverage.
tunestony
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2011, 01:41:19 PM »

The interview I did with Jon about his Beach Boys FAQ book is now posted on our site.  The shortened link is:

http://bit.ly/tqWKzc

There's also some "bonus" content available only to Icon Fetch users - Jon talks about which BB album is his favorite.  Registering is free and takes about 30 seconds.

Don't forget, once you get Smile -- you can leave questions on our site for co-producers Mark Linett and Alan Boyd to answer.  They'll be back on the show in a week or so.

Enjoy!

Tony
Icon Fetch
www.iconfetch.com
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx