gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:02:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jon's new book  (Read 20220 times)
MBE
« on: September 13, 2011, 05:20:32 PM »

Just wanted to say I got Jon's new book and it looks great! I am going to be doing an Elvis Records FAQ for the same series next year. It is a great format and Jon looks like he got all the facts down perfect. Always nice to see a real fan with a balanced view get something out there. Congrats Jon!
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 05:28:40 PM »

Looking forward to it!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:28:59 PM »

Awesome news!  Smiley
MBE
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:51:36 PM »

Just had the time to read some. He mentions us from the board which is cool and but more importantly hr really breaks a lot of myths. He tells the truth about Brian today which is refreshing, he also gives every member of the band proper credit. I like that Jon doesn't copy others template (which has also been my longstanding rule as a writer) his prose is fresh and original. Honestly he didn't pay me to say any of this  Tongue but I knew if he did a group book he would do them justice and he did.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:53:08 PM by Mike Eder » Logged
Paulos
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 10:48:53 PM »

Any news yet on a publisher for your book Mike?
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 11:44:01 PM »

Brilliant!

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
MBE
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:21:39 AM »

Any news yet on a publisher for your book Mike?
AGD is looking at it right now and hopefully he will have some leads for me. I wish I could tell you more but I do have a few Elvis projects that have been sold. They aren't done but at least I'm working on some good things. The Beach Boys book is my baby so that is number one for me though. Keep your fingers crossed!

For now though I am glad to say with Jon's book that, while it's completely different, many of our ideas mesh so it helps get my viewpoint across in some ways. In other words I think my book will be better accepted because of his book.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 03:53:06 AM »

He tells the truth about Brian today which is refreshing...

Now you got me intrigued.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 05:11:56 AM »

Just got a notification from Amazon that I'll be getting Jon's book on Monday. Can't wait!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 07:48:50 AM »

What is the title and what is its focus? And don't say Beach Boys. Be more specific! I will definately buy it, I have enjoyed reading The Real BB and The Lost BB. It would be nice to get an in depth book on Carl, by the way!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 08:20:59 AM »

What is the title and what is its focus? And don't say Beach Boys. Be more specific! I will definately buy it, I have enjoyed reading The Real BB and The Lost BB. It would be nice to get an in depth book on Carl, by the way!
The Beach Boys FAQ - All That's Left to Know About America's Band.

Excerpt from the description at my online bookshop:
"In "The Beach Boys FAQ", Jon Stebbins explains how the band impacted music and pop culture. This entertaining, fast-moving tome is accompanied by dozens of rare images, making this volume a must-have for fans. "FAQ" volumes are a delectable fusion of expert research and fast-paced entertainment. This is a one-stop-shop for devoted fans eager to leave no stone unturned."
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:22:17 AM by Fall Breaks » Logged

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 08:57:41 AM »

Thanks to Mike Eder for the kind words about my new book. So many of the ideas and concepts in this book were vetted and argued out on this board. I'm sure not everyone will agree with all of the opinions expressed, it is a fairly subjective work, but you can be assured my views are from the heart and not hostage to any band politics or fear of being on the wrong side of whoever is currently in power in the Beach Boys world. Most of all this book celebrates the things that are truly great about the Beach Boys...their songs.

Here's the Amazon link...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0879309873/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_dp_Si4Bob1ZYW10R

And here's the publisher's link...
http://www.halleonardbooks.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=332994&lid=1&keywords=FAQ&menuid=10283&subsiteid=168&
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 10:15:31 AM »

Jon: I don't know if you have any direct sway in this, but do you know if a Kindle version will be available?

Thanks, and the book sounds great.
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 10:23:26 AM »

Cool, I've just stuck it in the cart.
Going on vacation next week and need some good reads - perfect timing!
I also clicked on the "we want kindle" link.

Oh Poo!
For some reason it ships slower than everything else - although it says it's available for Amazon Prime.
Might not have it before we leave!  Cry
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:07:37 PM by WaxOn » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 11:56:43 AM »

Jon: I don't know if you have any direct sway in this, but do you know if a Kindle version will be available?

I would expect the publisher will make a Kindle friendly digital download version available, but as you said that's beyond my control. I am working on a new edition of the Dennis Wilson - The Real Beach Boy  book (slowly but surely) and we are definitely making that available in Kindle and all digital formats once its ready to go.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 12:06:01 PM »

Just ordered a copy!

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 02:42:02 PM »

Just ordered a copy!

Me too.....
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 04:45:36 PM »

Got me a nice paper and ink copy of Jon's book on order, never needs batteries and is easy to read. Grin

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 05:07:59 AM »

Got notice from Amazon that it shipped today and I should have it tomorrow.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 05:23:07 AM »

I would expect the publisher will make a Kindle friendly digital download version available, but as you said that's beyond my control. I am working on a new edition of the Dennis Wilson - The Real Beach Boy  book (slowly but surely) and we are definitely making that available in Kindle and all digital formats once its ready to go.

Cool - have got into reading stuff on my phone lately so will definitely get The Real Beach Boy kindle edition when it's available.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 07:59:09 AM »

Last night I picked up the only copy that my local Barnes and Noble had on the shelf. Looks like it is going to be a wonderful read!!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 12:22:25 PM »

Must get this!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 08:31:13 AM »

This review appears to be the first. I don't think the guy read the whole thing...but nice to see an independent opinion formed. Let me know if you see anything else out there...
http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/article-16120-when_summer_ended.html
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 08:47:36 AM »

I can't wait to read it!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 10:52:50 AM »

http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/article-16120-when_summer_ended.html

Must say that the quotes in the review make me more excited than ever to read this one.
You certainly have a way with words, my man!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx