gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680778 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 05:06:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UK Sellers of TSS  (Read 8771 times)
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2011, 07:42:33 AM »

I only have one lecture that day, so theoretically could go. reckon Rough Trade or somewhere would know how much they're selling it for, if at all, at this stage? Or maybe I should call up nearer the time.

If you're in London, also try Sister Ray or Select A Disc in Berwick St as I'm sure they will stock the boxset-you may have to spend a few extra ££s though.
Selectadisc has been closed a good few years now; was replaced by...Sister Ray. Prices? HMV has the big box priced at £141 for pre-order, which seems hefty compared to some, but I imagine most physical shops will pitch it somewhere around this mark.
Incidentally, in case it's not been mentioned elsewhere, UK pre-order of the www.thebeachboys.com limited editions is now "live":
http://store.digitalstores.co.uk/smile/
And now we finally know just who has signed that lithograph.

Ah, OK-sorry about that-I used to go down Berwick St all the time. Obviously not recently!!
Is Reckless Records still there? They had the Nick Drake vinyl boxset for £20 about 10 years ago-still regret not buying it
Reckless closed a couple of years back under mysterious circumstances, then re-opened barely weeks later (in the same shop, no less) as Revival Records. Mr CD (another Berwick Street stalwart) is also long gone, but the Record & Tape Exchange will never die!
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2011, 08:05:02 AM »

Incidentally, in case it's not been mentioned elsewhere, UK pre-order of the www.thebeachboys.com limited editions is now "live":

WHADDYA MEAN, WE DON'T GET THE SURFBOARD?Huh??

I was really looking forward to trying it out in, er, the East Anglian Wash. Or the muddy estuaries of Essex. Surf's Up, dudes!

...we never did get a 'Surfing UK', did we? Can't imagine why...? But why, when the charmingly flat coastline of East Anglia has so much to offer? Mostly alluvial slime, admittedly, but still...

If everybody had a fenland
Across the east U-kayyyy
Then everybody'd be surfin'
Like Californ-i-a [that's California in *Norfolk*, obviously - you know, just round the coast from Caister-on-sea... lavverley!]
You'd see 'em wearing their white socks
white stilettos too
orange tan and mullet hairdos
Surfin'East Ang-li-ayyy

You'd catch 'em surfin' at Maldon
Essex County line
St Osyth and Tilbury
Aldeburgh's nice and clean
Canvey Island and Foulness
And down Wisbech Way

Ev'ry body's gone surfin'
Surfin'East Ang-li-ayyyyy

It's official. The wait for the box is already warping my brain!

MattB
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:07:45 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2011, 08:06:08 AM »

I only have one lecture that day, so theoretically could go. reckon Rough Trade or somewhere would know how much they're selling it for, if at all, at this stage? Or maybe I should call up nearer the time.

If you're in London, also try Sister Ray or Select A Disc in Berwick St as I'm sure they will stock the boxset-you may have to spend a few extra ££s though.
Selectadisc has been closed a good few years now; was replaced by...Sister Ray. Prices? HMV has the big box priced at £141 for pre-order, which seems hefty compared to some, but I imagine most physical shops will pitch it somewhere around this mark.
And now we finally know just who has signed that lithograph.

Ah, OK-sorry about that-I used to go down Berwick St all the time. Obviously not recently!!
Is Reckless Records still there? They had the Nick Drake vinyl boxset for £20 about 10 years ago-still regret not buying it
Reckless closed a couple of years back under mysterious circumstances, then re-opened barely weeks later (in the same shop, no less) as Revival Records. Mr CD (another Berwick Street stalwart) is also long gone, but the Record & Tape Exchange will never die!
Ah, every other Saturday would start at the top of Berwick Street at Select A Disc and I'd work my way down the record shops via the odd pub and ending at The Record and Tape Exchange for a good 2hr searching session. I managed to get mint copies of 3 Smiths albums for 50p each(don't even think about taking the bait, AGD!)

I think I'll go back there next Saturday afternoon before the Gershwin gig
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2011, 03:08:31 AM »

Arse-the boxset is £150 from Rise in Bristol.

So....do I buy it on-line and wait a few days or shell out £25ish over the odds and get it on the day?

What was the deal if you rang the shopin Cheltenham?

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2011, 06:29:08 AM »

So....do I buy it on-line and wait a few days or shell out £25ish over the odds and get it on the day?

I'm one of the sinners who's pre-ordered at Sainsburys for £116. My plan (most likely) will be to buy the 2 disc from HMV on the day and wait a few more days for the box to arrive. That's one suggestion!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2011, 07:30:57 AM »

I'm one of the sinners who's pre-ordered at Sainsburys for £116. My plan (most likely) will be to buy the 2 disc from HMV on the day and wait a few more days for the box to arrive. That's one suggestion!
Good idea-I was thinking along the same lines of getting the CD box somewhere on the day and then take the following day off work and get the boxset delivered at home.  I might even erect a tent in my living room the night before and place a xylophone in a pit of Sugar Puffs.Sand's quite expensive these days!
Luke_Barshack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2011, 07:41:28 AM »

Okay, so HMV is listing the box as 5 discs... http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=331046

Anyone know what this could mean? Just a mistake?

My girlfriend works in store and I was going to use her (rather hefty) discount, but the internal system is also listing 5 discs at almost £200??  

I'm asking her if there's been any change tonight - the price is strange enough but it doesn't list the vinyl. She says this would rarely be inaccurate.

Amazon of course lists the 9 discs. Correct me if I'm wrong - but there IS no 5 disc version is there?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:45:03 AM by Luke_Barshack » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2011, 07:53:26 AM »

Okay, so HMV is listing the box as 5 discs... http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=331046

Anyone know what this could mean? Just a mistake?

My girlfriend works in store and I was going to use her (rather hefty) discount, but the internal system is also listing 5 discs at almost £200??  

I'm asking her if there's been any change tonight - the price is strange enough but it doesn't list the vinyl. She says this would rarely be inaccurate.

Amazon of course lists the 9 discs. Correct me if I'm wrong - but there IS no 5 disc version is there?

No, sounds like they're just counting the 5 cds and omitting the vinyl for some reason. Must be an error.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »

Popped into HMV Oxford Street today and tentatively enquired about the Smile box. It appeares that the retail price actually *is* £195. Sheesh.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2011, 03:48:11 AM »

Rough Trade are preordering it for £175! Bar HMV, that's the most expensive yet!

It has also gone down slightly on Amazon, i think - £124 now.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Paulos
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2011, 04:46:24 AM »

hmv.com finally caught up with the rest of the world

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=331046

£141.99 for the boxset, £12.99 for 2CD, £8.99 for 1CD, £29.99 for LP.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx