gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681508 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 02:27:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stereo \  (Read 8777 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2011, 09:26:33 PM »

For years people have dreamt of it, including myself, and because of that I spent months talking and hoping.

Then, yesterday, I heard for the first time what people have dreamt of for years....

Surf's Up 1967.

Jk, but if you're intrested in a TRUE STEREO GOOD VIBRATIONS, Please Make it a point to talk to me!
I AM ONLY SENDING 10 LINKS, THE REST MUST BE SHARED BY THOSE 10 INDIVIDUALS, WHO MUST AGREE TO IN THEIR PM? K?
k :D

Woo... you can actually hear new harmonies like this :D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:27:24 PM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 09:27:26 PM »

uhh sure whatever
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:39:03 PM by groovy » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:41:37 PM »

Lol, years of complaining from fans, then we finally get a stereo mix and it's just...

"uhh sure whatever"

Thud

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 10:31:44 PM »

eheheh maybe its because http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItDSim_1KEg
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 11:13:08 PM »

For years people have dreamt of it, including myself, and because of that I spent months talking and hoping.

Then, yesterday, I heard for the first time what people have dreamt of for years....

Surf's Up 1967.

Jk, but if you're intrested in a TRUE STEREO GOOD VIBRATIONS, Please Make it a point to talk to me!
I AM ONLY SENDING 10 LINKS, THE REST MUST BE SHARED BY THOSE 10 INDIVIDUALS, WHO MUST AGREE TO IN THEIR PM? K?

So someone found the vocal multitrack, hired a 1966 8-track board, leased the instrumental multitrack, hired a studio and mixed a true stereo version, all behind Capitol's back ?

You may be interested in this property I have for sale... a fine bridge, in New York city...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 11:18:48 PM »

I don't understand the big fuss about this. I don't see why the vocals need to be in stereo. The stereo backing track with the vocals in mono is perfectly fine, i reckon. I don't think the revelation of stereo really applies to vocal tracks the way it does to the backing track. I've always thought Beach Boys vocals sound better in mono anyway. For example, on the Pet Sounds box set, the IJWMFTT stack-o-vocals, with one group of vocals panned hard right, another hard left, and one in the middle, that sounds like sh*t.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 12:54:20 AM »

rmemeber how the beach boys are so good you should just pan the harmonies to the left, the lead to the right, and remove all of the other sintrumetns
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 11:13:51 AM »

Surf's Up 1967.

So someone found the vocal multitrack, hired a 1966 8-track board, leased the instrumental multitrack, hired a studio and mixed a true stereo version, all behind Capitol's back ?

You may be interested in this property I have for sale... a fine bridge, in New York city...

A Few other "Inner" SMiLE fans and I got hold of a mixed down-mono a capella version, we brought it to my home (also, a professional ...) studio and used a special new "Super-Sonic Extractor" to isolate different harmonies, and using my "professional" mixing skills, I made the most COMPLETE true-stereo mix.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 11:41:43 AM »

A Few other "Inner" SMiLE fans and I got hold of a mixed down-mono a capella version...

That would still be a fan product, though. If that was in the vaults anywhere, it'd be on the box set, or on the "GV" 40th anniversary release.

There's something like that on youtube from late last year, and it's excellent, even on cans, almost seamless and the vocals are panned very nicely. Done with respect and considerable expertise. Here:

'stereo' Good Vibrations

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 11:44:44 AM »

funny, mine is a ton like that... haha, I guess we both have pretty good ears :D

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 11:53:12 AM »

Fatheroftheman's Good Vibrations is the best stereo version I've heard to date. Surprised Linett didn't come up with this for the 40th Anniversary set or before. Maybe he did.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 11:53:59 AM »

Fatheroftheman's Good Vibrations is the best stereo version I've heard to date. Surprised Linett didn't come up with this for the 40th Anniversary set or before. Maybe he did.....

Nov 1st, we'll be waiting....

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 12:17:52 PM »

Disc 5 tracklisting says... not.  Grin

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 12:45:25 PM »

I've wondered if we'll find a digitally-created stereo "GV" as a Best Buy or download bonus track.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 12:51:17 PM »

Disc 5 tracklisting says... not.  Grin

I didn't mean necessarily for release on the upcoming SMiLE set. Maybe he created one for himself or for future release. Twood be nice if he did one for the upcoming set though. I'm thinking we'll never get a real true stereo version with the vocal tape missing, I'm tellin' ya though, the Youtube and Fatheroftheman's attempts are pretty damn nice!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 01:08:24 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 01:18:30 PM »

I'm tellin' ya though, the Youtube and Fatheroftheman's attempts are pretty damn nice!

That they are, very very little phase problems.

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 02:52:42 PM »

I'm not gonna beat around the bush, PM me, Father.

A discipline daddy.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 04:27:26 PM »

I didn't mean necessarily for release on the upcoming SMiLE set. Maybe he created one for himself or for future release. Twood be nice if he did one for the upcoming set though. I'm thinking we'll never get a real true stereo version with the vocal tape missing, I'm tellin' ya though, the Youtube and Fatheroftheman's attempts are pretty damn nice!
I agree, very nice indeed. Question though, why on all these stereo attempts do the background vocals sound so low in the mix?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 06:16:38 PM »

As the total amateur who "mixed" the one that's up on YouTube, it's pretty cool to see someone taking another crack at it. FatherOfTheMan, if you could PM me a copy, I'd appreciate it, especially since it sounds like it was put together using different resources than what I used.

Quote from: drbeachboy
I agree, very nice indeed. Question though, why on all these stereo attempts do the background vocals sound so low in the mix?

Can't speak for FatherOfTheMan's version, but at least in mine it was all about trying to keep the leftover artifacts down to a minimum.

I wonder if a digitally-extracted stereo mix of GV would appeal to anyone outside of the more dedicated fan base? I personally would love to hear an attempt by Mark Linett, who certainly has better resources than any of us. I kinda doubt that they'd relegate something so interesting to a bonus track, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up on some future compilation.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 07:26:10 PM »

Actually, Yours is really great, mine is a bit too edgey... IMO... haha

I actually did it in a very similar fashion, its funny to see we all get the same ideas sometimes haha!

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 10:30:49 PM »

Dr. Beachboy, I don't hear the background vocals mixed down like you're hearing. It sounds pretty balanced, at least on my stereo system.

Fatheroftheman, did you conciously mix.........wait, maybe I hear what he's talking about now. On the part where it goes, "Wheeeeeeen I look......and then Carl comes in and says "in her eyes". "In her eyes" sounds like it was spliced in or a little bit louder by just a tad. Is that it?

Fatheroftheman, are the backgrounds mixed back a little or no? It sounds OK to me.......course my ears are gettin' old.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 11:03:55 PM »

That part was tricky, because Carls voice kinda " phases" with the chord, and gets sucked into the instrumental, theirs also a bass mistake in the backing track that I tried to remove, so both might have screwed it up a bit

JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 12:30:45 AM »

A Few other "Inner" SMiLE fans and I got hold of a mixed down-mono a capella version, we brought it to my home (also, a professional ...) studio and used a special new "Super-Sonic Extractor" to isolate different harmonies, and using my "professional" mixing skills, I made the most COMPLETE true-stereo mix.

Hold on, hold on  Afro What you did is a pan of portions of a mono signal. So please, don't call it a "true stereo" mix  Grin

True stereophony is when you used two mikes to record phase correlations of a sound source. You (and nobody) will never be able to do real Stereophony using a MONO source (let this be clear) .

Anyway, I have nothing against what you did, and I'm even pretty pleased to hear you achieved such things ! I would even be interested to hear it if you'd agree ?

Cheers,
JMZ

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 03:15:57 AM »

The stereo backing track with the vocals in mono is perfectly fine, i reckon.

it doesn't work that way.

also, the stack-o-crack vocals for the pet sounds stuff is probably for clarity's sake as to further isolate the vocal tracks. if you want a decent stereo mix, listen to, uh, the stereo mix Smiley

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 04:09:46 AM »

Hold on, hold on  Afro What you did is a pan of portions of a mono signal. So please, don't call it a "true stereo" mix  Grin

True stereophony is when you used two mikes to record phase correlations of a sound source. You (and nobody) will never be able to do real Stereophony using a MONO source (let this be clear) .

Anyway, I have nothing against what you did, and I'm even pretty pleased to hear you achieved such things ! I would even be interested to hear it if you'd agree ?

Cheers,
JMZ

It's orders of magnitude better than one "stereo mix" I found on YouTube:

left - standard 45 version.

right - Rarities version.

... and yes, the phase problems made it sound like "Itchycoo Park" !  Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx