gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 03:23:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson In The Key Of Disney available for pre-order from Amazon  (Read 9025 times)
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 03:11:29 PM »

Excellent post.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 10:33:30 PM »

As to your second response, the percussion in the beginning of the 'whistle while you work' mimics that of the percussion in Vega-Tables.

This really bothers me when people say this.  He's not imitating Vega-Tables, he's imitating BRIAN WILSON.  He does sh*t like that.  Have you heard Rio Grande?  Saturday morning in the city?  Brian likes odd percussive noises.  That's one of his things.  His Pet Sounds as you will.

Also like said above, Brian works with the band at hand, and lets them come up with stuff.  Most good producers do that, BTW. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 10:35:14 PM by Ron » Logged
2 and a half
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 02:19:38 AM »

Why would you (pre)order a (cheese)burger when a big juicy steak is just around the corner?
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »

Why would you (pre)order a (cheese)burger when a big juicy steak is just around the corner?

Key of Disney is more like a light, fluffy appetizer or hors d'oeuvre.
Really just enough to whet the appetite, but nothing you'll remember after the entrée.

Or, would SMiLE be the desert?

I guess that's a thread all by itself.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 10:25:46 AM »

I got a big appetite  Smokin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 10:32:35 AM »

Have to say, I'm looking at the album cover and I continue to dislike how Brian is promoted these days.

Having been born and raised in California (and still here) the Beach Boys (which means BW as much as anyone), Anaheim (Orange County) and Disney are all in one big juicy orange of a ball. Brian was no stranger to Disneyland - and my childhood memories are full of summer, Beach Boys and Disneyland all at the same time, because it was.

We have it all, a Woody, a surfboard, a beach and Mickey in the Sunset (we are on the West Coast).

Perfect.

I guess they could have gone all steampunk and done a Mickey with tats in a rusted out powerhouse, but Brian has never really looked all that good in studded leather, doc martins and piercings (at least to me).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:34:02 AM by WaxOn » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2011, 10:43:53 AM »

They should've released this album like two months ago.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2011, 07:17:40 PM »

Agreed - it seems pretty stupid to release this a week before the huge Smile release, especially when we know it's been done since early summer.  Talk about getting swallowed up.
aaktt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 01:51:08 AM »

Totally agree. I don't know who comes up with these release dates, but I don't think it's a good strategy, even if terms of marketing. Maybe it's not the most important thing, but because of it both albums are most likely to underperform on the charts.

The album cover is quite cheesy. The Gershwin one was really nice, but here they kind of overcolored it.
The track listing is not a perfect one, but this "Whistle While You Work" song sounds really nice, so I'm not that anxious about it as I was when I first found out about it Smiley
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2011, 01:53:37 PM »

Okay...how about this...ITKOD is the free mint they offer at the counter, and you grab one on the way in. TSS is the buffet -- because there will be so many tracks to listen to you won't be able to reasonably grab everything in one trip.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2011, 02:13:53 PM »

And Postcard from California is the stuffed feeling after

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2011, 02:38:13 PM »

Or no, no, i got a good one. How about: In The Key of Disney is the fukking 2011 DISNEY album, and The Smile Sessions is a 5 CD box set of the fukking SMILE sessions.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2011, 02:40:01 PM »

Or no, no, i got a good one. How about: In The Key of Disney is the fukking 2011 DISNEY album, and The Smile Sessions is a 5 CD box set of the fukking SMILE sessions.

That would be the logical answer

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 03:03:14 PM »

Agreed - it seems pretty stupid to release this a week before the huge Smile release, especially when we know it's been done since early summer.  Talk about getting swallowed up.

I don't know.   For many of us here, the timing seems really dumb.  The feeling for a lot of us is probably along the lines of "Hey, that's nice, but don't bother me. I'll be listening to my FIVE brand-spankin' new CDs of the freakin' Smile Sessions that week."

However, by piggybacking on the Smile tidal wave, ITKOD might generate more interest among the casual fans than it otherwise would have.  Every rock critic and his brother will be doing reviews of the Smile Sessions.  Smile is a legendary project, and it makes for a good story and one that is incredibly easy to write (Brian, Van Dyke, piano, sandbox, Mike Love, mysterious fires, breakdowns, 45 years, yada yada yada).  And a lot of those reviews are going to include an "Oh, by the way, Brian is still around and just released a little album of Disney songs."   And that will be enough to generate some sales.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:13:05 PM by juggler » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2011, 03:15:20 PM »

Okay, but if Brian released the album two months ago, all the reviews would still say "oh by the way Brian has a new album out". Because two months isn't really that long in the grand scheme of things. but just long enough to not have it go up against Smile.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2011, 03:17:50 PM »

Meh. I'm not so thrilled about this release. Especially with all the SMiLE buzz. I'll get it... eventually... if ever.

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2011, 12:45:20 PM »

Totally agree. I don't know who comes up with these release dates, but I don't think it's a good strategy, even if terms of marketing.

Simple - Disney set the release date for ITKOD, while Capitol decided to f*** with Phil Cohen's head for a few months before settling on 11/1/11.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2011, 07:20:42 AM »

what's the  deal with the amazon.com "exclsuive"? Available at several uk sites so why exclusive?

It has a bonus track "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes."
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 08:28:45 AM »

i like that song. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 09:15:52 AM »

Not the bonus track I'd have chosen, but hey ho (or High-Ho)...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2011, 09:19:17 AM »

Have to say I think it was a shame to have released GIOMH, a pretty horrid record, at more or less the same time as BWPS. Now I sort of feel the same about this re Smile. Meantime, I've avoided 'TLOS' and 'Gershwin' too - reckon I made the right choice.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2011, 09:21:27 AM »

You're missing out - Those records are much, much better than GIOMH

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2011, 09:22:51 AM »

You're missing out - Those records are much, much better than GIOMH
GIOMH was horrid the one time is listened to it. Grin Gershwin live is amazing!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:29:40 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2011, 09:50:09 AM »

what's the  deal with the amazon.com "exclsuive"? Available at several uk sites so why exclusive?

Thanks for that info. Anyone know whether the UK site will offer the same exclusive version?

“We live in divisive times.”
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2011, 09:50:52 AM »

That's a good, classic, Tin Pan Alley song.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx