-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:17:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Comics
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comics  (Read 10800 times)
Bubba Ho-Tep
« on: March 10, 2006, 11:03:51 AM »

Since this site is connected to the Comic List, why not discuss the comics themselves?

I have been out of the loop for about 10 years. I decided when I got out of High School that I would no longer waste time and money on such a juvenile hobby. (I did, however, continue buying “Bone” by Jeff Smith, which I knew was a finite book, and indeed, it ended 3 years ago, as promised.)

I maintained my stance until about a year ago, when I thumbed through issue 1 of the new Captain America series by Ed Brubaker. Needless to say, I was hooked. I forked over the $2.99 (weren’t these things only a $1.00 last time I checked?) and have stuck with it since then. I have also opened the door to a couple other titles, namely Alex Ross’s “Justice” 12 part series and, most recently, “Daredevil”, which I am trying out since Brubaker has started writing that one as well. I don’t want to get too deep into it, since it’s costly and I easily get annoyed by the changing of creative teams, but I am glad to be back on the Comic book wagon, especially with the recent surge of admiration of the form, what with the many, recent motion pictures based upon them.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 11:09:14 AM »

I've had periods of reading over the last 20 years or so but the Crisis on Infinite Earths and its accompanying mentality more or less ruined things as far as i'm concerned

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 11:15:47 AM »

yeah, comics for most of the '90s were $1.95 or so. now they're almost 3 bucks a pop. I have a collection of over 300 comics spanning from Marvel to DC and other odd and end publishers. comics and art were my childhood until my senior year in high school (2005) which drew me more and more into knowledge of music, and the joy of performing. but anyhow....I still collect "Nightwing" have been since issue #1 but it's complete crap now. The new writer completely ruined Chuck Dixon's character development behind Dick Grayson aka Nightwing aka former Robin. And now DC has destroyed pretty much every heroes stories with a crossover and starting over AGAIN. I can only hope the new writer to Nightwing does the book justice.

"Superman/Batman" with Jeph  Loeb and Ed Mcguiness is great. One of the greatest current writer/artist collaborations.

Old Favorites that disapperaed: "Out There" and "Spectacular Spider-Man" <--(the relaunce I guess) with Humberto Ramos on art, fucking incredible story-teller.

"Robin" has been good lately, with Scott McDaniel (favorite artist in comics since his "debut" in NIGHTWING) on pencils.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 11:25:05 AM »

I remember reading this and being blown away: Mystery, Inc.  Basically, a take-off on the Fantastic Four, but hey, I was 8 years.  I couldn't have cared less!  And notice the price, mind you - a buck 95.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 11:25:34 AM »

Same as OMP...only have a handful left tho. I was really into Image when they first started...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 11:30:37 AM »

I had a Spawn comic book...once...brought it to school...let a kid borrow it...I dropped out of school...never saw it again.

That's fifth grade for ya!

Oh, well.  Here's the cover of it:

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 11:46:48 AM »

I used to have that Spawn issue, and all of the books up to #50.  I liked the first dozen issues, or so. I sold off about 2/3 of my collection recently on eBay (don’t miss them!)

Speaking of the Batman, I threw a glance at a recent issue and am did I see what I thought I saw? They brought back Jason Todd? What a mistake. The “Death in the Family” story was so well done. Now that Real World knucklehead Winick is ruining it.

I was always more into Marvel than DC. I gave the new Green Lantern series a shot, but thought it sucked.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 11:52:33 AM »

My favourite comic-book ever is "The Dark Knight Returns". A wonderful and depressing piece of art.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 12:05:18 PM »

I used to have that Spawn issue, and all of the books up to #50.  I liked the first dozen issues, or so. I sold off about 2/3 of my collection recently on eBay (don’t miss them!)

Speaking of the Batman, I threw a glance at a recent issue and am did I see what I thought I saw? They brought back Jason Todd? What a mistake. The “Death in the Family” story was so well done. Now that Real World knucklehead Winick is ruining it.

I was always more into Marvel than DC. I gave the new Green Lantern series a shot, but thought it sucked.

I haven't been following Batman after the "Hush" incident but it isn't the real Jason Todd. Of course, I haven't been following so I could be wrong

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 12:32:40 PM »

Dark Knight is great, but I think I like Year One even more. I have re-read those books time and again, and never tire of them. Miller had a real hot streak there.

Frank Miller's run on "Daredevil" is a favorite of mine too.

I picked up the first issue of Miller's new "Batman and Robin All-Stars" series but ended up using it for toilet paper. What a sad joke that thing was. Just plain creepy, and not in a good way.

I'm not familiar with Hush. I saw the trade paperback on the shelf and the art looks cool. I bailed out on Batman after the Year 3 story, which introduced Robin III.

Anybody else reading the current Captain America story? Really good stuff. I was never a fan of Cap or any of the avengers but this book is too good to ignore.

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 01:51:00 PM »

oh, the art in "HUSH" is excellent.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 09:58:27 PM »

Calvin and Hobbes and Fox Trot for me.

Watch out for snakes!
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 08:24:49 PM »

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 08:40:19 PM »

I can't stand to read Fox Trot on a daily basis, but was flipping through a book of them, and was laughing like crazy!  Esp. with Jason and his iguana.  And Calvin and Hobbes is always a winner.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 09:42:53 PM »

« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 10:17:38 PM by Uncomfortable Seat » Logged

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 06:20:51 AM »

Hey, do I see Damien Hellstrom, the Son of Satan there? He was in the Defenders, a book I really enjoyed. In fact, one of my first comics was Defenders #94 with guest star Dracula. It was a pretty heavy book for a 4 year old! Demons and hell and human sacrifice. Great issue. Still holds up!

The 80-82 comic era was really great, I think. Maybe its nostalgia since I was very young at the time, but it seems like every comic I own from that period rocks.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 08:24:14 AM »

Hey, do I see Damien Hellstrom, the Son of Satan there? He was in the Defenders, a book I really enjoyed. In fact, one of my first comics was Defenders #94 with guest star Dracula. It was a pretty heavy book for a 4 year old! Demons and hell and human sacrifice. Great issue. Still holds up!

The 80-82 comic era was really great, I think. Maybe its nostalgia since I was very young at the time, but it seems like every comic I own from that period rocks.
Yes, you do, and I agree w/all you say about the Son of Satan, the Defenders, and that time period for comics(which extends further back for me)

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 09:46:36 AM »

That same period gave us Frank Miller's run on "Daredevil", which are some of my all time favorites.

Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 10:40:47 AM »

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2006, 05:57:39 PM »

What is that, the JSA?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 07:12:51 PM »

It's a variety of some of my favorite DC heroes, including some JSA members.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 12:14:31 PM »

Brazils leading female heroine.........

All-Seeing Eye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2006, 04:23:09 AM »

I'm keeping an eye on things.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print