gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 07:51:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "You're Under Arrest!"  (Read 5960 times)
originals
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »

Which one of the Beach Boys says this during 'In The Cantina'?

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 10:50:45 AM »

When I first heard it I thought it was Dennis. But wasn't it one of Brian's friends/no Beach Boy ?

That part is so lame on BWPS. Really bugs me

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 11:01:43 AM »

When I first heard it I thought it was Dennis. But wasn't it one of Brian's friends/no Beach Boy ?

Funny, I was literally just thinking about this yesterday. 

I always thought it was Dennis too - if it's a Beach Boy at all, he's the one.  But the voice doesn't sound like any Beach Boy really, so I'm guessing it's one of the Vosse posse.

And yeah I agree, I can't stand that part on BWPS either.
originals
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 11:05:21 AM »

Funny, I was literally just thinking about this yesterday. 

I always thought it was Dennis too - if it's a Beach Boy at all, he's the one.  But the voice doesn't sound like any Beach Boy really, so I'm guessing it's one of the Vosse posse.

And yeah I agree, I can't stand that part on BWPS either.

'Vosse posse'  Smiley
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »

Gene Gaddy, Barbara Rovell's husband.

I'm wondering if he perhaps does the bass vocals on "Vegetables" and "Love To Say Da Da," because despite the "definitive vocal credits," there's no way in hell that's Mike's voice...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:07:24 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
originals
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:50 AM »

Gene Gaddy, Barbara Rovell's husband.

Is that right?

(I really think the 'In The Cantina' version should have been THE released 45 single. It kicks ass in so many ways).
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 11:11:10 AM »

Yes, Gene Gaddy said it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
originals
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »

Yes, Gene Gaddy said it.

Interesting - thanks!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 11:22:07 AM »

Yes, Gene Gaddy said it.

Interesting - thanks!

Wow, you learn something new every day!  Wonder how on earth that came to be - did Brian just audition every voice he could find until he found one he liked?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 11:48:51 AM »

Not so much it being "lame", but legit - if Genie boy is still alive, he should've done it, just as Al should've sang "Vegetables", Mike, Al, and Bruce should be doing some of the backup vocals, etc. etc. etc. et.c WHATEVER f*** LIFE I M O ~~~

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
ghost
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 01:45:02 PM »

"you're under arrest" is one of the drug allusions, giving more credence to the theory that the song is about the dualities - the awakened & unawakaned. brian said children of god are in their 20s.... heroes & villains just see what you've done, means this game of us vs them fragmenting the old against the young, see what you've done to the church of the amerikan indian, you're losing sight of the spiritual side of the effect of the chemicals. the indjuns knew it. bicycle rider see see what you've done. lsd getting too mainstream too many people aware hence the straights / stoners split. heroes and villains means, look at this situation that's happening. in older cultures psychedelics were embedded in the culture without censorship or restriction, they were generally considered as only suitable for certain people anyway and used with apparent success by them. in our times these things are demonized when they are no more harmful than a mcdonald's meal on the body & brain, probably less so and considerably more insightful, and cost about the same.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 01:52:54 PM »

I'm not a fan of it, but I wouldn't call it lame, necessarily...but what I really don't understand is that in the featurette on the making of BWPS, Brian has Nick go through several iterations of "You're under arrest!", and the one he called perfect was much closer to Gaddy's version...wonder why it wasn't used on the final version, unless BWPS was already recorded and that was re-enacted for film...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 02:00:49 PM »

I've always loved the "You're Under Arrest" bit.  For all the talk about how Brian's SMiLE vision was never completed, he actually did accomplish one of his goals which was to bring humor into pop music.  There are so many little bits on this record which were intentionally put in there by Brian to make the listener chuckle.  The sound effects in "Heroes and Villains" and "Vega-Tables", the way that the horns laugh at you during the first movement of "Surf's Up", "You're Under Arrest", the list goes on and on.  I can't think of any album offhand that went to such lengths to hide these hidden treasures within it's songs.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 03:04:33 PM »

I'm not a fan of it, but I wouldn't call it lame, necessarily...but what I really don't understand is that in the featurette on the making of BWPS, Brian has Nick go through several iterations of "You're under arrest!", and the one he called perfect was much closer to Gaddy's version...wonder why it wasn't used on the final version, unless BWPS was already recorded and that was re-enacted for film...

Nick sounds sad when he says it on the album version. 'teh hell is up with that?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Firemellow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 02:22:46 PM »

My kiddos burst into laughter every time they hear that bit.  Great humor relief...that's why they call it SMiLE.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 07:54:11 PM »

"YOu're Under Arrest" on new version of H&V seems too quiet and not as jarring as cantina version. I dislike.
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 07:56:11 PM »

Whoever did it... it sounds embarrassing to me, Always has.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 08:19:12 PM »

I'm wondering if he perhaps does the bass vocals on "Vegetables" and "Love To Say Da Da," because despite the "definitive vocal credits," there's no way in hell that's Mike's voice...
I thought it was Brian?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 08:20:30 PM »

Doesn't sound like Brian, either. Too nasally.

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 08:23:47 PM »

It's way too quiet on the new mix. Sigh

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »

In my perfect dream world, this little section would go on just a little bit longer.

"You're under arrest! Lock him up *handcuff noise*"

my children were raised...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx