gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:56:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer in Paradise  (Read 20441 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2011, 11:46:50 PM »

Uh, I think those tracks are fine enough but I'm rarely ever seriously in the mood to listen to them. They're not that good to me, you know?

Wow, really? My Diane? Blue Eyes?

I don't want to pull out the "and you call yourself a Beach Boys fan?" card, but it's tempting. I mean, those are classics.

For really cool Brian Wilson non Beach Boys stuff just listen to his 1962-73 productions. Those are killer.

Not especially. Most Honeys tracks bore me to tears -- and most of the other stuff is pretty half-baked, too. You can tell his heart really wasn't in it. "The One You Can't Have" and "Guess I'm Dumb" excepted.

Yeah, remember how everyone went apesh*t over GIOMH? Brian's best work since Pet Sounds, and further proof that he doesn't need The Beach Boys.

GIOMH was never criticized as widely as is retrospectively believed. It attracted some high-profile detractors in the early days, including AGD, and I know some band members didn't like it. And it came out a few months ahead of BWPS, which was all anyone at the time cared about. That has really shaped the story that people tell about the album now.

For my money, it continues to be a fun, unpretentious album with some wonderful harmony tags and neat instrumental touches. It features some of the best songwriting of Brian's solo career. It also has its share of wretched, embarrassing moments, the likes of which we hadn't seen since "Love is a Woman."
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2011, 12:53:17 AM »

Uh, I think those tracks are fine enough but I'm rarely ever seriously in the mood to listen to them. They're not that good to me, you know?

Wow, really? My Diane? Blue Eyes?

I don't want to pull out the "and you call yourself a Beach Boys fan?" card, but it's tempting. I mean, those are classics.

I think they're good songs, they just don't blow me away, you know? I mean, maybe I should listen to them more or something but... I do think I've tried to give them a fair shake -- they're certainly excellent compared to everything that surrounds them though! Sorry.
Nicko1234
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2011, 03:01:25 AM »

They're good but they're not classics. None of the BB songs after Holland are considered to be classics by anybody other than the hardest of hardcore fans really are they?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 04:16:19 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2011, 04:13:49 AM »

Iron Horse, while I agree most of the magic went from MIU onwards, there is some great stuff to be discovered on the later records. Roses amongst the manure if you will. My Diane, Good Timin', Baby Blue, Love Surrounds Me, Santa Anna Winds, Where I Belong and Somewhere In Japan rank up there with their best work. Granted for a five album run that ia a pretty low ratio of diamonds to dross, but as a fan you owe it to yourself to seek them out - even if it just means looking them up on youtube.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2011, 04:41:24 AM »

Iron Horse, while I agree most of the magic went from MIU onwards, there is some great stuff to be discovered on the later records. Roses amongst the manure if you will. My Diane, Good Timin', Baby Blue, Love Surrounds Me, Santa Anna Winds, Where I Belong and Somewhere In Japan rank up there with their best work. Granted for a five album run that ia a pretty low ratio of diamonds to dross, but as a fan you owe it to yourself to seek them out - even if it just means looking them up on youtube.

I've heard them, there is some good stuff there absolutely, but IMO, Love You is the last Beach Boys album which doesn't sound tired and old. I never liked them as a nostalgia act, and I want to remember them for the fresh, vibrant music they made in the 60's and 70's. This is why I have avoided SIP. It would depress me, I know it would. Just like Kokomo and Still Cruising depressed me.

Good Timin' and Goin On are great. I can't get past the horrible 80's production on Somewhere Near Japan. To me a Beach Boys record is about sound, not just the song. I find the production on LA and KTSA just as off putting. Horrible MOR sound which to me just isn't the Beach Boys.

Whereas if they'd done an album with songs like My Team on it, I'd have loved it.

I've owned these albums (not SIP), but no longer have them.

All very subjective. I don't really listen to any music past the 60's. It's not that I haven't tried, it just does nothing for me.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2011, 06:43:43 AM »

Stephen, I get where you are coming from with the production style, as I'm not big on the 80's style either. Though, I will say that Somewhere Near Japan is one of the very few songs where it kind of works, or at least where it doesn't bother me. Nothing screams 80's production more than "The Beach Boys". I listen to it rarely, and only for the Carl cuts. For SIP there are couple songs that work for me. Hot Fun ... and Still Surfin', Slow Summer Dancin' (in doses), Strange Things Happen and Lahaina Aloha and EU version of Summer In Paradise are pretty good. Not because the writing is any great shakes, but the vocals are fanastic, especially Al and Carl. And to think, Al almost was not a part of this album until later in the recording process.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:37:07 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2011, 07:21:29 AM »

Maybe I'm nuts but I'd rather listen to Summer in Paradise than BB (85), Stars and Stripes or Gettin in Over My Head. Yeah, there are some really embarassing moments but Carl sings beautifully throughout the album (better than 85s vocals imo) and I enjoy Adrian Bakers vocal on Hot Time.
I'll be first to admit that its the worst Beach Boys album but I spin it more than alot of stuff.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2011, 07:38:10 AM »

It also has its share of wretched, embarrassing moments, the likes of which we hadn't seen since "Love is a Woman."

psh, and you call yourself a beach boys fan
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2011, 01:11:04 AM »

No, it's true, going no further than Love You is the most sensible thing. I'm glad Iron-Horse Apples and I at least are in agreement.
So, it is not worth listening to My Diane, Good Timin', Angel Come Home, Baby Blue, Goin' On, etc.? That's being pretty narrow-minded.

I'm so wide-minded, I frequently listen to BB records that I don't even like. And that goes for all post-1970 albums, though there's one or two songs that I like on each album.

Thanks Aegir for clearing up "ITF".  Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
theCOD
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2011, 05:16:12 AM »

I'm so wide-minded, I frequently listen to BB records that I don't even like.

LOL

You're definitely not alone here. Someone on this forum once claimed they enjoy everything the BB ever recorded, even the horrible stuff. I don't get it, but there are many things I don't get about BB fans.

BUT IT'S THE BEACH BOYS DAMN IT! SAYS IT RIGHT HERE ON THE COVER!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx