gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 03:39:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: when young Brian channels old Brian  (Read 5172 times)
ghost
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 12:40:19 PM »

Brian has always had a peculiar tone of voice. On the Howard Stern show someone called in just to ask what was up with his voice. But he didn't specifically mean the style of speech but the tone. Or that was how I understood it. Brian had a very manly tone in the 50 packs of cigarettes a day years but before and after that it's had a strange tone, people who know more technical stuff about the voice will surely point out what register or whatever he speaks and sings in most comfortably. I can see why Brian seems to have, at some times, felt insecure as a man. Here he is, this big guy, physically quite large and imposing, but he has one of the sweetest 'feminine' voices in the music world, and he knew it. And he is not opposed to listening to or writing songs from a girl's perspective! Brian must have tripped himself out so many times on these issues. Having two daughters while Carl had sons - Carl was the more feminine Wilson boy in the beginning despite Brian's falsetto. Carl always remained the most feminine in his quiet but confident style, Brian medium, Dennis way over there being a real man. But Dennis seems to have had his own insecurities too...
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 02:08:57 PM »

I remember that interview.  The caller asked asked Howard (as if Brian weren't right there) if Brian had had a stroke, and Howard yelled at the caller and moved on to the next call.

Recently it was, I think, an NPR interview about the Gershwin album -- video of it's been posted on youtube, I think-- and Brian started the interview in a very manly tone of voice, which dissipated after a few responses.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 02:57:33 PM »

Brian has always had a peculiar tone of voice. On the Howard Stern show someone called in just to ask what was up with his voice. But he didn't specifically mean the style of speech but the tone. Or that was how I understood it. Brian had a very manly tone in the 50 packs of cigarettes a day years but before and after that it's had a strange tone, people who know more technical stuff about the voice will surely point out what register or whatever he speaks and sings in most comfortably. I can see why Brian seems to have, at some times, felt insecure as a man. Here he is, this big guy, physically quite large and imposing, but he has one of the sweetest 'feminine' voices in the music world, and he knew it. And he is not opposed to listening to or writing songs from a girl's perspective! Brian must have tripped himself out so many times on these issues. Having two daughters while Carl had sons - Carl was the more feminine Wilson boy in the beginning despite Brian's falsetto. Carl always remained the most feminine in his quiet but confident style, Brian medium, Dennis way over there being a real man. But Dennis seems to have had his own insecurities too...

Interesting... As late as 1988, while promoting his solo album, he mentioned how uncomfortable he was with his lead voice and defined himself mainly as a "falsetto singer" (!). Wish I could find the quote.

Also, I  suggest listening to the original version of This Could be the Night (modern folk quartet, I think). Brian seems to have built his mature, shouty, in-your-face rocking tone after that group's lead singer.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Firemellow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 05:20:27 PM »

Interestingly, both Brian and Ozzy appeared as background vocalists on Ringo Starr's "Vertical Man." 

If you want to hear Brian channeling Ozzy, check out "Without Understanding."  Kinda creepy, Brian, singing about "no good vibrations."
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 05:24:18 PM »

Brian has always had a peculiar tone of voice. On the Howard Stern show someone called in just to ask what was up with his voice. But he didn't specifically mean the style of speech but the tone.

Actually that's a really interesting point - and something I've wondered about may be related.

When did Brian start talking out of the side of his mouth?

He sings in a similar fashion. The first time I remember this was when he did an interview with Mike Douglas back in what - 1976? After his first "bed binge". I was wondering if he'd had a stroke myself back then. It just seemed really odd and I was taken aback - but figured we were lucky he was alive and kicking.

I also wondered if he started doing that to somehow compensate for the deafness in his right ear, and it just became more prominent over the years.

It's odd, but I do believe it has an effect on the tonality of his voice, aside from whatever register he can muster.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 05:43:47 PM by WaxOn » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 05:47:51 PM »

Brian was singing out of the side of his mouth back in `63. There`s a video of Surfer Girl where he does that.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 05:59:52 PM »

Brian was singing out of the side of his mouth back in `63. There`s a video of Surfer Girl where he does that.

Yeah he's been doing that since the beginning, and the reason has in fact been attributed to his deafness - not sure if it's a common thing amongst those who are deaf in one ear, but it makes sense. 

I don't think it's ever really had an effect on his voice one way or the other, aside from maybe enhancing some intonation problems as he's aged - granted, that happens to many artists in their 50's and 60's, even without the history of a ridiculous amount of prescription medications.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 08:39:23 AM »

How much of the similarity is due to double tracking the 60's vocal, or sweetening the current vocal?
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 08:43:45 AM »

I remember that interview.  The caller asked asked Howard (as if Brian weren't right there) if Brian had had a stroke, and Howard yelled at the caller and moved on to the next call.
where do i hear this interview
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »

Yeah he's been doing that since the beginning, and the reason has in fact been attributed to his deafness - not sure if it's a common thing amongst those who are deaf in one ear, but it makes sense.  

I don't think it's ever really had an effect on his voice one way or the other, aside from maybe enhancing some intonation problems as he's aged - granted, that happens to many artists in their 50's and 60's, even without the history of a ridiculous amount of prescription medications.
I think he does it because it is an inherited trait. Audree spoke that way all the time or at least in any video I've ever seen of her.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:19:42 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,