gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681548 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 11:17:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GOOD VIBRATIONS promo video ex-ci-ta-tions  (Read 48557 times)
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: September 12, 2011, 06:31:12 PM »

Andrew G. Doe said:

Sorry Bill, all it means is that morning she picked a red top out of the closet that day..

More important to me is the question - is that ball made by Wilson, or not ?

Obviously this quote is brilliant as usual because Andrew is alluding to the movie SECONDS & Rock Hudson's lead character Tony Wilson. Wilson say's, "It all began with a big red ball" as he draws a big ball. So Andrew's insightful comment, "...is that ball made by Wilson" certainly is not missed by this lucky reader.

That then begs the larger question about the movie SECONDS seemingly mysteriously knowing Brian's edits for the unreleased GV promo film prior to the promo's premiere and whether this line may have made Brian uncomfortable. Excellent work Mr. Doe.

http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/s/seconds-script-transcript-rock-hudson.html

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 12, 2011, 07:29:29 PM »

Tobelman, are you stoned?  Or are you just joking?  Why can't you look at stuff at face value sometimes?

Did you know that the sports equipment company named 'Wilson' made basketballs?

http://www.gophersport.com/products/results.cfm?Ne=1000002&N=1557+4294967159&gclid=CJ3Ei4GVmasCFcsaQgodX3R_lQ

Have you ever seen the picture of Brian Wilson (Beach Boys) holding a 'Wilson' baseball glove up to his face?

http://www.mostlymuppet.com/2011/04/11/whats-the-plural-form-of-brian-wilson/bw_bb_3/

'Scuse the interuption if AGD really was talking about the movie "Seconds", but I very much dowt it!!

"Come in, Mr. Wilson....."
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 07:49:42 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
ghost
« Reply #252 on: September 13, 2011, 03:53:10 PM »

light the lamp and fire mellow
cabinessence timely hello
welcomes the time for a change
lost and found you still remain there
you'll find a meadow filled with grain there

i'll give you a home on the range
who ran the iron horse
i ran the iron horse

i want to watch you wind blown facing
waves of wheat for your embracing

folksingasong of the grange
nestled in a kiss below there
the constellations ebb and flow there

and witness our home on the range

who ran the iron horse

have you seen the grand coulee working on the railroad

over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield
over and over the thresher and hover the wheatfield

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnnrJ4tCqZM&feature=related

THIS SONG MAKES STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER SOUND LIKE A BAD MONKEES SONG

[this post is for runnerzdialzero]
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:55:12 PM by ghost » Logged
ghost
« Reply #253 on: September 13, 2011, 04:00:16 PM »

Seriously I think Brian just knew when he met Paul and heard She's Leaving Home and played Wonderful afterwards that if he released Smile then, it would send Paul into a nervous breakdown. Brian is too sweet to be so mean just to win a music competitive thing. That's an ego game, Brian blew his ego away, ask Bill Toblerone. Brian shelved Smile so that Paul would not be shattered upon hearing things like Cabinessence. Don't you know that Brian was horrified that Our Prayer & Cabinessence were put on 20/20? Fortunately Paul only listens to Beach Boys albums that Brian considered his own masterpieces so he still hasn't heard 20/20. But I guess since 2004 Paul has gotten used to Smile, Brian released the toned down BWPS to make it less earth shattering for him.

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2011, 02:27:10 PM »

The Beach Boys hadn't been taken seriously as current artists since the "Here Comes The Night" fiasco ten years earlier, and prior to that they'd been on the thinnest of ice since the sellout-fest 15BO left such a bad taste around the industry and fandom.

Why was 15 Big Ones considered a sellout?  I wasn't around to judge it in context.
ghost
« Reply #255 on: September 14, 2011, 02:33:35 PM »

15 Big Ones is a crude title. I resent even thinking of it. Imagine telling someone, my favorite album is 15 Big Ones by The Beach Boys. It sounds like a mix tape made by male strippers.

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: September 14, 2011, 04:52:27 PM »

Sorry to be such a pain but someone said this about Barbara Rovell's red shirt in the GV video:
Sorry Bill, all it means is that morning she picked a red top out of the closet that day..

As you know Brian W. was a control freak on the details. Your claim may very well not be the case.

I like the "Sloop John B." sheet music shot. Seems like a SMiLE picture to me. The red on Brian with the red #1 on the engine. Reminds me of all the red circular references in the GV promo film & the reddish sun in Frank Holmes' drawings for SMiLE. Children typically make a yellow sun but Frank's were more on the red side of things. Coincidence maybe, just like the reddish tone of the photographs in the smile booklet.

The Beach Boys' SMiLE era clothes were the Western shirt with the check pattern and the moccasins. Pretty SMiLE don't you think? There is apparently significance and meaning attached to the clothes some people connected to the SMiLE era wore.

Columnated Kingston Trio striped shirt ruins turn into chessboard (too obvious, let's switch it to dominoes) domino. Frank, put a chessboard & dominos in two of your pictures.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 14, 2011, 06:03:02 PM »

The Beach Boys hadn't been taken seriously as current artists since the "Here Comes The Night" fiasco ten years earlier, and prior to that they'd been on the thinnest of ice since the sellout-fest 15BO left such a bad taste around the industry and fandom.

Why was 15 Big Ones considered a sellout?  I wasn't around to judge it in context.
Because every studio LP they had made up until that one showed at least some degree of artistic progression...or creative growth. 15BO was the first time the Beach Boys tried to cash in on what they used to be with a new LP specifically made to evoke their old self. Plus it was a rush job, it was half baked, and it made them seem irrelevant. It gave them some quick bucks, but it damaged their standing and their legacy. To me that is a sellout. But hey, easy for me to say...I don't have any alimony to pay, drug habits to feed, or llamas to shave.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 14, 2011, 06:23:09 PM »

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Geek Central.  Grin

geek or not......I love this vintage LA footage and discussion.  I was a young teen at the time captured in this film.......my favorite nostalgia.

Loved Dominic P's book "Riot on the sinset Strip  for the same reason.   Takes me back to a delicious time  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 14, 2011, 06:39:11 PM »

follow up to my last post

this thread took a nasty turn after a few pages.  too bad we can't just bask in the sunshine this music and film was intended to bring.....
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: September 14, 2011, 10:54:42 PM »

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Geek Central.  Grin

geek or not......I love this vintage LA footage and discussion.  I was a young teen at the time captured in this film.......my favorite nostalgia.

Smiley This kind of reply is awesome. I love the footage and discussion even though I wasn't there - to hear from those who were there and who have memories of these places captured on film is great.

If you lived in or near Los Angeles, were you tuning in to KHJ or KRLA for your music at that time?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2011, 12:46:41 PM »

15 Big Ones is a crude title. I resent even thinking of it. Imagine telling someone, my favorite album is 15 Big Ones by The Beach Boys. It sounds like a mix tape made by male strippers.

15 big steaming piles of sh*t. 15 clunkers. 15 mistakes. big ones.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 15, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »

I think you mean 14 mistakes and Had To Phone Ya  Wink

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: September 16, 2011, 05:53:38 PM »

The GV promo is Brian's SMiLE era thinking on display. The only thing missing is VDP lyrics.

The images presented and the deeper meanings within are lost on those approaching things from a practical perspective.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: September 18, 2011, 01:59:42 PM »

well, no, because that implies I don't like the album. I find all of the songs on it pleasant, but that's not what the album titles connotes.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
theCOD
« Reply #265 on: September 18, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »

well, no, because that implies I don't like the album. I find all of the songs on it pleasant, but that's not what the album titles connotes.

Doesn't your 15 Big Steaming Piles of Sh*t title also imply you don't like the album?
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 18, 2011, 11:30:47 PM »

"chapel of love" is awesome if only because it sounds like brian is some giddy little adult child singing it. that owns.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: September 19, 2011, 01:38:42 AM »

Doesn't your 15 Big Steaming Piles of Sh*t title also imply you don't like the album?
No. I just feel like that's what the title "15 Big Ones" says. what one would gather from the title. not what my opinion of the music within is.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2011, 10:33:37 AM »

Smiley
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:46:12 PM by donald » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2011, 12:11:36 PM »

Grin
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:24:07 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 19, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »

deleted by poster
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:45:04 PM by donald » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: September 19, 2011, 02:29:53 PM »

Um... someone care to explain to me how you can inadvertently post a PM on a forum ?  And then leave it there for over two hours ?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:33:38 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ghost
« Reply #272 on: September 19, 2011, 02:34:06 PM »

Um... someone care to explain to me how you can inadvertently post a PM on a forum ?

have this thread open in one tab, guy's profile open in another tab, pm box in another tab, get mixed up which is which after banging the wife, post pm in thread by mistake.

you, being a bachelor, would not know of such realities, agd.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 19, 2011, 02:41:14 PM »

being senile and hungover is also a valid excuse Embarrassed
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 19, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »

Um......., that "Good Vibrations" is one hell of a good song!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx