gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:38:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GOOD VIBRATIONS promo video ex-ci-ta-tions  (Read 47967 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2011, 04:01:37 PM »

Huh? Did I post something that was too hard for you to understand or relate to?  Is the troll telling us what he's really doing on the computer?  Maybe I should post naked chicks on this thread for you to look at while you're wanking away.

Wanking. That's an English term, right Hyperhat?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2011, 04:01:51 PM »

Not be confrontational but that film was edited together for a Good Vibrations promo film clip, it's been all but proven and when that film clip was first aired decades after it's original broadcast (which Andrew among others saw in the 60's and can back it up), it later was part of a Beach Boys video collection for AMC network's "Am Pop" series in the early 2000's. Alan Boyd compiled those clips, and this was among them. That is where I first saw it. Mr. Boyd himself can back that up. The original intent of that film was for Good Vibrations.

Here's a recent post from Alan about it:

I recently got in touch with Caleb Deschanel, and asked him about that Good Vibrations film.  it turns out he didn't actually shoot that promo....but he did cut the negative!  He was studying at USC at the time, and a call came in asking if one of the students in the film department would be interested in helping out with the post-production.  When fellow student George Lucas turned down the gig, Caleb took it on.

As far as the editing and filming, it would seem some famous names in the film industry were involved. Caleb Deschanel, famous in the industry as a cinematographer, is of course also the father of sisters Zoe and Emily whom we know. George Lucas was also a film student when he was asked to help with the editing of the Good Vibrations clip. Sure, it's a bit haphazard by modern standards but no more scattershot than the clips of Paperback Writer, Rain, etc. which The Beatles had been doing earlier in 1966 for similar purposes and continued doing in place of touring and live appearances on television to promote singles. The raw nature of these gives them some charm, IMO.

Michael Vosse, David Anderle - both men have spoken about this clip, with one of them suggesting it was a "distraction" for Brian to work on it at this time: I believe one of them mentions it specifically as the GV promo film though I could be wrong.

I think the evidence for this being filmed as a Good Vibrations promotional clip outweighs the evidence of it *not* being for that purpose. The producers and editors of American Band were the ones who confused the issue when they cut the film to "Fire" in the early 80's. That was not the original intent nor the original editing of the footage. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but I'm pretty confident with all the evidence to support it.

[/quote]

I don't mean to be insulting but it's obvious you know nothing about the production process - story-boarding, pre-production, location scouting, shot list, etc.
Your post totally backs up my hypothesis that this 'GV' promo was thrown together - a hodge podge of clips.

I agree! There's no doubt the video WAS used as the 'GV' promo.  

But you're telling me about film students taking a bunch of existing footage and editing it together to make a video. (exactly what people do now to make their own music videos on You Tube).  This guy who cut the negative had no more creative involvement than the dude who develops your film at the camera store.  And, from the video quality, he did a poor job!

To repeat, it's my  hypothesis that the 'Fire' stuff was not shot with the intent of using it for a 'GV' promo film.  As the whole of 'Smile' broke down and fell apart, no doubt so did the plan for proper 'promo videos'.

And I can tell you from the quality of the video, there were NO renowned  cinematographers (at the time) involved in shooting this.

And how in the world can you compare the videos for Paperback Writer, or Rain to this.  Those were obviously shot by a cinematographer, directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg.  It is hardly scattershot when, in fact, the Beatles are filmed playing and lip-syncing the song.  Same with Rain.  Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields Forever were all professionally done videos.

There is no link/connection/tie in in the video to the song 'GV'.  Are the BB's filmed playing it - no!  Are there any visual references in the video to the song - no. And so forth.
Are there visual references in the song to Mrs. O'Leary's Cow/Fire?  A zillion!!!!!

But scattershot is a great word to describe the 'GV' promo video.

I wasn't there, so I don't know how it went down.  Brian knows, whoever shot it knows........
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:06:26 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2011, 04:14:52 PM »

Huh? Did I post something that was too hard for you to understand or relate to?  Is the troll telling us what he's really doing on the computer?  Maybe I should post naked chicks on this thread for you to look at while you're wanking away.

Wanking. That's an English term, right Hyperhat?

You've misunderstood me! His post about wanking just seemed a little, er, bad taste after your post about your poor friends parents, is all.....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2011, 04:20:59 PM »

Ah, OK.  Yeah, maybe I didn't need to go off-topic there. It's just that when I saw the picture of the Corvair, it's exactly like the one they had. Brought back a memory there....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2011, 04:24:32 PM »

Like I said, what little problem there is is with our LSD munching chum. Don't worry about it, mate  Smiley

He's been really irritating me today, actually. Damn trolls.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »

I cant watch this video on my phone. Soooo pissed. What a time to have my computer and backup computer break. I'm missing out on so much I bet I wont even be able to preorder a deluxe box set before they're gone.

No mas, por favor.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2011, 08:19:03 PM »

Like I said, what little problem there is is with our LSD munching chum. Don't worry about it, mate  Smiley

He's been really irritating me today, actually. Damn trolls.
Same here, you should have seen the creepy posts he made where he changed the surfer girl lyrics to include nazi references. So creepy in fact that the whole thread was deleted and my post yelling at him is lost forever.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2011, 11:00:48 PM »

I don't mean to be insulting but it's obvious you know nothing about the production process - story-boarding, pre-production, location scouting, shot list, etc.

That's all I needed to read. Maybe you should at least have your points of debate line up with the facts before going off on that kind of nonsense. Good luck tracking down the origins of the Fire video, or any of the Smile promo film shoots. Make sure you report back with the results. Smiley

PS:
Quote from: SurfRiderHawaii
I have a hard time believiing that this is the 'offical GV' promo video but have no idea of the history or intentions of these films.

But what about the Mrs. O'Leary's Cow (Fire) video. It looks like they took video shot for that and edited in to the GV video.  The Fire stuff is totally out of place for GV.

And no one has yet explained the origins of the - Mrs. O'Leary's Cow (Fire): SMiLE Promo Video - 1967 (which looks like the intended purpose of the footage and seems to perfectly sync to the music.)

So it's obvious you know nothing about...oh, never mind. Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2011, 11:32:54 PM »

OK... well... SWWK #1 kinda panned out. Thinks the girl might be a friend of Brian's wife. So... on to SWWK #2.

We really, really need a TARDIS.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2011, 11:45:57 PM »

I don't mean to be insulting, but it obvious you know nothing about the mind of Brian Douglas Wilson in fall 1966.  Grin

Location scouting ? "Man, there's a fire house just down the street from Capitol !"

Storyboarding ? "OK, and then you guys get out of bed and slide down the pole... I think of what happens later, ah... later"

Pre-production ? "Gonna need a camera... someone to use it... some fire hats..."

Brian would have come up with the idea maybe the day before it was shot, probably. As for what it is, there's documentary proof of it being a "GV" promo. You theory is based on nothing more than "this is what I think". I clearly recall seeing it on "TOTP", November 1966 - ask anyone who knows me in the UK BB world, they'll say I was telling them about seeing Brian slide UP a fire pole back in the late 70s. That means it had to be shot before 10/21/66 (check the concert dates).

Been Too Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2011, 12:02:53 AM »

This was the fire station which covered Hollywood and the Sunset Strip area. In the film the firetruck turns right out of the station onto Cole, and the station itself is still at 1355 N. Cahuenga. For the record, Wally Heider had his studio at 1604 N. Cahuenga, and all of this is located within a few miles of the Sunset Strip.

So the fire station and Wally Heider's studio was just a couple of streets over from Capitol Records and one street over from the Beach Boys' old business offices on N. Ivar.

Yes! Do you recognize any other landmarks or streets in the film, Mikie? It's all within a few mile radius...and here's an interesting shot: Isn't that the Capitol building in the background, in this shot where Brian and Vosse are getting sprayed?

Ok, I sent this video to my friend that lives in LA, he used to live in the Hollywood area and he recognized these locations right away. This street is the onramp from North Cahuenga Boulevard to the 101 (Hollywood Freeway) and the hill goes up to the freeway. It doesn’t have the plants on it now, just dirt.
The tunnel they go through on the fire truck is Holly Drive going north under the Hollywood Freeway, this is right off North Cahuenga. He said it’s a lot more built up around there now but the tunnel looks the same and you can still see the same looking hills when you drive over the freeway. He will send me pictures next time he goes over there.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2011, 12:10:52 AM »

The girl could be one of Marilyn's friends? Cool info - hope to hear more details! I just noticed you can see her very briefly on the sidewalk in the scene where the firemen are standing with Diane and Vosse drinking sodas.

The location of that ramp in the screenshot: This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to see for the locations of these film shots! Awesome, thank you for posting that. I've been going off and on to Google Maps scanning around to see what these areas look like now.

Thanks to everyone putting out the information in this thread - this is a lot of fun solving some of these puzzles and questions from the film. Awesome stuff!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2011, 12:23:35 AM »

The part in Barbara's hair is in a different place than the girl in the GV promo. I'm no hairstylist or expert but they're two different people, unless a hairline can be changed that way...

And to put it rather bluntly, if this topic isn't of interest than don't friggin' read it. Better than knocking it or being sarcastic. My two cents. I'm interested to find out who the people in the video are.

"Insider" info courtesy of an old-school Smile historian whom I asked about that: He thought that guy with the camera in the film could be Bob Gordan (or Bob Gordon, however it's spelled). He's heard on outtakes, experimental reels, the chanting tapes, and even has a piece of tape in the vaults named after him, all from the Smile era and this specific period of time. And he was a photographer who can be heard filming in the studio during a Good Vibrations session where Brian tells him to not film because his camera was making too much noise.

If it's not Bob Gordan in that film, that's another topic to take up.

So, at least a small fraction of one Good Vibrations session was filmed? Now THAT is a discussion I'd like to read about and, or, take part in.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2011, 12:49:29 AM »

Ok, I sent this video to my friend that lives in LA, he used to live in the Hollywood area and he recognized these locations right away. This street is the onramp from North Cahuenga Boulevard to the 101 (Hollywood Freeway) and the hill goes up to the freeway. It doesn’t have the plants on it now, just dirt.
The tunnel they go through on the fire truck is Holly Drive going north under the Hollywood Freeway, this is right off North Cahuenga. He said it’s a lot more built up around there now but the tunnel looks the same and you can still see the same looking hills when you drive over the freeway. He will send me pictures next time he goes over there.

I can't wait to see the photos! That would be great! Tonight I couldn't resist a Google map search for these shots, I was so happy to read the actual locations. First, the onramp where Brian and Vosse are shown, next the area where Brian and who we think is Jules are shown walking through the greens, on the same ramp to the 101:

Many thanks and cheers to "Been Too Long" for that info I've been wondering about for 10+ years. Big thanks and a Smile! Smiley

Been Too Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2011, 12:54:31 AM »

The girl could be one of Marilyn's friends? Cool info - hope to hear more details! I just noticed you can see her very briefly on the sidewalk in the scene where the firemen are standing with Diane and Vosse drinking sodas.

The location of that ramp in the screenshot: This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to see for the locations of these film shots! Awesome, thank you for posting that. I've been going off and on to Google Maps scanning around to see what these areas look like now.

Thanks to everyone putting out the information in this thread - this is a lot of fun solving some of these puzzles and questions from the film. Awesome stuff!

One other note on locations. My friend said the street you see in the background in the scene where they are running from the truck is called Dix and it runs to Ivar, he used to work at a place on Ivar, so the street they are running down is either Ivar or Holly and they are being filmed from the Freeway overpass. Also, the house with all the steps that they run down in fast motion is next to the Freeway on either Ivar or Holly, he remembers seeing it around there before.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2011, 12:58:03 AM »

One other note on locations. My friend said the street you see in the background in the scene where they are running from the truck is called Dix and it runs to Ivar, he used to work at a place on Ivar, so the street they are running down is either Ivar or Holly and they are being filmed from the Freeway overpass. Also, the house with all the steps that they run down in fast motion is next to the Freeway on either Ivar or Holly, he remembers seeing it around there before.

Again - fantastic information! I was wondering how they got an overhead camera shot, thinking the camera could have been up on a roof or something. An overpass makes perfect sense! Trying to find these places randomly looking on Google then actually getting the right info from an LA resident - amazing.

Many thanks! Smiley

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2011, 01:09:01 AM »

Well, if that's the same location as where the film was taken, it looks like that sprinkler hasn't worked for years! The L.A. maintenance crews kinda let the area go. Looked nice in '66 though.

What a crazy place to make a film - a freeway onramp. Seems like a last minute thought. Maybe they were driving around and just decided to pull the car over and shoot some of it there.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2011, 01:11:02 AM »

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Geek Central.  Grin

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2011, 01:44:26 AM »

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Geek Central.  Grin

I don't know what you are talking about AGD

....so anyway, I had a look on google earth and I would put that on ramp with Jules as just north of the corner of Dix and Holly Dr. Grin

If you look at the last house on the left before the on ramp and underpass (with the word 'bump' written upside down on the street) the stairs match. Same house the band run out of IMO.

edit. Look at street view. No doubt about it!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:06:24 AM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2011, 02:12:56 AM »

OK, "GV" on Top Of The Pops:

November 10th - #15
November 17th - #5
November 24th - #1
December 27th (Christmas Special 2)

Two things: oddly, they weren't included in the December 1st show, when they were still #1... and with the exception of the Xmas special, when the GoJos danced to the disc, each appearance is listed as a promo video.

Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2011, 02:48:08 AM »

God, I love this board sometimes!

Do we know if Dennis shot any of the footage or was it all done by Jules?

I remember Ed mentioning Dennis getting into film-making-I somehow imagine him doing something like Easy Rider!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2011, 03:00:30 AM »

I remember Ed mentioning Dennis getting into film-making-I somehow imagine him doing something like Easy Rider!

Jules didn't shoot any footage - that's a still camera.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2011, 03:18:50 AM »

I don't mean to be insulting, but it obvious you know nothing about the mind of Brian Douglas Wilson in fall 1966.  Grin

Location scouting ? "Man, there's a fire house just down the street from Capitol !"

Storyboarding ? "OK, and then you guys get out of bed and slide down the pole... I think of what happens later, ah... later"

Pre-production ? "Gonna need a camera... someone to use it... some fire hats..."

Brian would have come up with the idea maybe the day before it was shot, probably. As for what it is, there's documentary proof of it being a "GV" promo. You theory is based on nothing more than "this is what I think". I clearly recall seeing it on "TOTP", November 1966 - ask anyone who knows me in the UK BB world, they'll say I was telling them about seeing Brian slide UP a fire pole back in the late 70s. That means it had to be shot before 10/21/66 (check the concert dates).

I hate using the word moronic but you should actually take the time to read "what" I'm saying and use a little common sense. (why you get such bad raps AGD)  It's OBVIOUS the 'Fire' video was scouted, story-boarded, etc. But for what?

The GV promo video?  Makes no sense.  And you don't know either.

For the "Fire" music?  Yes, it would seem to me.  But I don't know either.

If you see him doing this for a 'GV' promo, you R insulting the brain of Brain.  You're claiming 'this promo' was Brian's vision for a GV promo film?  Eeeks!  Stop smoking that bad mojo!  Cool Guy

Yes, this 'Fire' footage was used by Capitol Records, cut in with other nonsensical stuff, for a  GV Promo video.  This is obvious! A historical fact.

If it's true they turned to film students to take a bunch of footage at hand (the Fire video), edit it into the GV Promo video, then it sounds like Brian had little to do with it as a GV promo?

to summarize:

1) You've presented zilch evidence on what Brian intended for this footage.
2) You know about as much of what Brian intended for this footage as I do.
3) You'd don't know when he wrote the "Fire" music.
4) You don't know what was in his head when he filmed this stuff.
5) You don't know if Brian had anything to do with the 'GV' promo video.  

In this case, you don't know much except when the 'GV' video played and when the Fire music was recorded.

Ya don't know if BW and VDP intended to do video promos for every Smile song.

This official 'GV' Promo video was patched together because Capitol  Records needed a promo video fast and this was the footage they had available. That's my hypothesis and I'm sticking to it.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2011, 03:23:35 AM »

Ah, OK-sorry-my misunderstanding. Do we know who did the filming on the off chance? I'm sure it'll be covered on here somewhere

I do believe though that the film sounds like an idea Brian had the day before or on the morning of it being shot. I just can't imagine him sitting there doodling away on a piece of paper a picture of him going up a fireman's pole

Just my opinion, mind and I'm happy to be proved wrong

Great thread, by the way
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2011, 03:30:34 AM »

Ah, OK-sorry-my misunderstanding. Do we know who did the filming on the off chance? I'm sure it'll be covered on here somewhere

I do believe though that the film sounds like an idea Brian had the day before or on the morning of it being shot. I just can't imagine him sitting there doodling away on a piece of paper a picture of him going up a fireman's pole

Just my opinion, mind and I'm happy to be proved wrong

Great thread, by the way

I agree!  But I don't see this footage as Brian's brainstorm for a GV promo video.  That's all I'm saying. 
That and  maybe Brian had a vision for Smile that included shooting film for the "Fire"music.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx