gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:59:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there any way to see/listen to the full original Smile performance at RFH?  (Read 7729 times)
Musichascolors
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:57:01 AM »

It seems that the Live DVD is primarily from another show, and while it does contain footage of the Royal Festival Hall show, based on the description it doesn't seem to be the full thing. I found a bootleg of a show from the 2/24/04 but is there a recording of the original performance of Brian Wilson's Smile?

Even if it's not perfect (which would be understandable) I think this show obviously has tremendous cultural importance, and I'd love to be able to see/hear it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 03:28:53 PM »

Legally ? No.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 05:31:33 PM »

That premier show at RFH was nearly perfect. Just a couple of vocal flubs from Brian. Man, that performance had a lot of energy and the band played and sang with gusto. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Musichascolors
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 08:46:45 AM »

That's quite disappointing :\
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 12:31:44 PM »

That premier show at RFH was nearly perfect. Just a couple of vocal flubs from Brian. Man, that performance had a lot of energy and the band played and sang with gusto. Smiley

That's quite disappointing :\

You're disappointed that the show was nearly perfect?  seems a bit negative to me...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Musichascolors
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 10:10:11 PM »

Ah,  no, someone sent me the boot and it sounded amazing!!

It was disappointing when someone said there was no legal way to hear it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 02:36:04 AM »

The first four nights were filmed and recorded, but for whatever reason, Brian's management elected to reshoot the 'live' portion of the DVD at a closed/invited audience pair of shows in Burbank (9/26). The first night wasn't perfect, but the emotion in the hall that night was just incredible: grown men wept. I was one of them, not afraid to admit that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 05:53:23 AM »

If you shouldn't know it yet (or have forgotten) you can listen to a whole Smile performance (and also TLOS) on npr.

http://www.npr.org/artists/14999155/brian-wilson

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
ghost
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 04:33:44 PM »

The first four nights were filmed and recorded, but for whatever reason, Brian's management elected to reshoot the 'live' portion of the DVD at a closed/invited audience pair of shows in Burbank (9/26). The first night wasn't perfect, but the emotion in the hall that night was just incredible: grown men wept. I was one of them, not afraid to admit that.

What made you weep? 2nd movement? Was there a collective wave of awe to be felt when it began?
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 05:46:49 PM »

I STILL find it hard not to weep at the scene in Beautiful Dreamer where Parks comes onstage and stands on one foot. It just kills me.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 10:42:38 AM »

What made you weep? 2nd movement? Was there a collective wave of awe to be felt when it began?

Brian was wearing double denim and the pain, bewilderment, anguish and hurt caused by his fashion crime on this night, of all nights, could not be expressed in any other way.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 01:49:39 PM »

Sorry to resurrect this thread two weeks early, but...speaking of VDP coming on-stage and standing on one foot....as we all know, the scenes from the "first night" were edited to kingdom come -- Paul McCartney and George Martin make a surprise appearance, Nick's shirt magically changes twice during "Good Vibrations," etc. -- and at the end of "Good Vibrations," they cut to VDP in the crowd, emotionally overcome. He's wearing a white polo shirt. When Brian invites VDP on stage, VDP is suddenly wearing a blue button-down shirt and a sweater-vest...so, what's the deal there? Which one is the REAL first night (if either)Huh

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
amonomous
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 01:29:11 PM »

This thread really got me thinking about that first performance, I recall listening to it either on a stream somewhere or maybe it *was* shared/downloaded but I do recall wanting to hear that again especially once BWPS came out because there were some little details and touches in that performance that I don't recall ever hearing again.. It was a really special moment to sit down and listen to that, quality of the recording aside the magic still shone through, I understand why they would want to nip and tuck certain things before releasing a performance like that officially but it was historic, at least as far as music goes, it would be nice if there existed an intact performance somewhere exactly as it unfolded/looked/sounded.
oddsbodkins
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 07:23:40 AM »

A google search for this topic led to my discovery of this site, and while awaiting activation, I've been immersed in many of the threads.  Site is awesome.

But, back to the matter at hand... after exhaustive searches, I've been unable to find this concert in any format.  Would one of you kind souls mind sharing or leading me on the correct path?  I've worn out the show I saw in Chicago that October and I need a new fix!

Cheers!
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 04:16:03 PM »

I've been scowering the net for this as well to no avail. I'm impressed and bummed BriMel

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
oddsbodkins
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 07:19:16 PM »

Deadsville...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx