gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:15:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys cover Queen  (Read 4533 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2006, 05:09:48 AM »

My fave band of all time (just above the BB and Led Zepp) is Queen (who in many ways are the combination of the BB and Led Zepp), the BB influence on Queen is great (who covered 'I can hear music' early on in their career under a different name - in fact Freddie Mercurys vocal is better than Carls!).
Anyway, to get to the point, I read online once a few years ago that the BB covered Queens 'You take my breath away' (from their 1976 LP 'A day at the races'), I'm not sure if it was finished or what year it was done or anything, or even if this was true. Does anyone have any information regarding it?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 05:25:13 AM »

I read the same thing and had the same reaction as you, but alas, it is a fake. The alleged cover took place at the cocaine sessions where Brian and Dennis recorded music while sitting at a piano. This page says that they covered the song, but I recall many people on this board saying that this bootleg was not real. Too bad, too.

Watch out for snakes!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 11:28:03 AM »

Imagine the Beach Boys doing Bohemian Rhapsody?

That's what I was hoping this thread would be about when I saw the title.. a previously-unheard Bohemian Rhapsody bootleg. Alas.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 11:56:45 AM »

Too bad they'd have to have had covered it in the mid-late 70s and therefore not have their  top voices for it. Could any of them have hit that B-flat (or so I have read) right before the solo?

Watch out for snakes!
teardropcity
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 05:37:42 PM »

Isnt there some kind of quote somewhere from Brian in the 70's saying that the music of Queen "scared him"?

teardropcity:music for late nights and early mornings http://www.teardropcity.com
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 08:43:10 PM »

I'd be interested in reading THAT. I'd love to know more about Queen's love of the Beach Boys, too. I never really heard much about their influences aside from Cream/Zep/Beatles/Who/Hendrix but I figure the BBs would have to be in there.

Watch out for snakes!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 06:41:03 AM »

Ive often wondered if their original name "smile" had something to do with the beach boys also another slight connection was that freddies first solo release was "i can hear music" under the name larry lurex

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 07:27:22 AM »

Yeah, Brian and Roger played on that, too. I think I read somewhere that Freddie loved Pet Sounds and was listening to it while working on A Night at the Opera, but I don't remember where I read it.

Watch out for snakes!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 08:54:08 AM »

Isnt there some kind of quote somewhere from Brian in the 70's saying that the music of Queen "scared him"?

This could have been another example of "Brianspeak". I've noticed that Brian has oftened referred to strong, effective musical moments as "scary" in his own work and others'. He has also talked of the intro to Pink Floyd's "Time" as terrifying, but regularly praises "Dark Side Of The Moon" as one of his favorite albums.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 08:57:04 AM »

Brian talks at fairly great length about "Bohemian Rhapsody" in a 1976 interiew with Circus magazine.
I'd have to dig to find it.  Can't remember if he said it "scared" him, but if he did, he meant it in a competitive kind way.  I remember he said something like "They went right in the studio and just freaked out!". 

C-Man
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 10:05:09 AM »

If you could dig that up, I'd love to read it!

Watch out for snakes!
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 03:30:21 AM »

My favourite Queen album is Queen II from 1974, which has a heavy BB influence mostly on the vocals (tons and tons of harmonies), but the whole album is stunning, especially side two (all written by Freddie) which just all flows into one. Its essential!!!!!! My fave album of all time.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 04:34:11 AM »

If you could dig that up, I'd love to read it!

Me too...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 06:33:31 AM »

I love Queen very much.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 12:39:30 PM »

I would also love to hear Brian's comments on Bohemian Rhapsody...always seemed like a direct homage to Brian's modular technique, as well as his vocal arranging. 
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 12:55:05 PM »

I don't really hear the "Beach Boys sound" in Bohemian Rhapsody, actually. I mean, obviously there is a very strong vocal harmony element (a reason I now know why I love both bands) but I don't really make the direct connection. I think there are some very "Beach Boys/Phil Spector" sounds on Queen II, like the end of Father to Son (the harmonies during "and my letter to you will stay by your side through the years") and especially Funny How Love Is. I guess the fact that they are such full, rich, thick harmonies makes it that way (i.e., double-tracked, more than three parts).

In general, how would one distinguish the "Beach Boys sound"? That gets thrown around a lot, and usually it's because there's a harmony with a falsetto (weezer and Green Day's Jesus of Suburbia have been described as having Beach Boys-like harmonies, for example). Surely the Beach Boys had something more special than that.

Watch out for snakes!
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 04:35:27 AM »

Brian talks at fairly great length about "Bohemian Rhapsody" in a 1976 interiew with Circus magazine.
I'd have to dig to find it.  Can't remember if he said it "scared" him, but if he did, he meant it in a competitive kind way.  I remember he said something like "They went right in the studio and just freaked out!". 

C-Man

ANy luck with finding that article yet?  Wink
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 03:59:43 AM »

I was at a Queen tribute band gig last weekend, and I admit I'd not listened to much of the music in the last decade. As a kid I was a huge Queen fan and still am I suppose, just don't get the time to listen to as much of my "back catalogue" collection as I used to before wife and work came along Smiley

It struck me that there are BB/Brian influences in Queen's music and use of the studio. Whether they realised it or not, the use of vocal harmony is quite BB-esque. And Queen always had immaculate studio recordings, often with complex multi-tracking...building up songs layer after layer. Of course by 1975 this was becoming fairly common but Queen made greater use of the studio facilities of the day than most bands did.

Also the structure of a lot of Queen songs, with often two or three different melodies and tempos...seems to owe something to Brian. While obviously most of Queen's music is heavier than the BB's work, I can hear influences there...though maybe unconscious on Queen's part. Someone ask Brian May I suppose...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx