gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:48:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Now that smile is being released..  (Read 12981 times)
ghost
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2011, 12:58:37 PM »

Why do we need that pretentious heap of overproduction anyway when just as much tender emotion is found in places on Party and just as much youthful enthusiastic idealism.

Because popular recording artists need to continue making records in order to sustain their career.

Brian Wilson finally caved to corporate pressure and made Pet Sounds. But his heart lay in Party and Smile, then Smiley, then Honey, were all attempts at recapturing the glory days of Party before Pet Sounds came along like the proverbial harbinger of death and disintegration [Caroline No is a bleak ending].
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2011, 01:47:38 PM »

"'California Feeling,' With 'Lucy Jones' and Other Big Ones - The best of Brian Unbooted"  Grin
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2011, 04:49:03 PM »

Alright, I looked up the Who's album idea.  I'm not intelligent enough to understand what he was trying to do there, so instead I'm now going to focus on Weezer's unreleased album.

BTW, don't you think that Rivers' personality is the type, that he may eventually return to that album and complete it?  Also he does so much recording on his own, hell he's probably still got the tapes. 

Weezer played Blast Off! for the first time ever in Seattle last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWUoAcWSipE&feature=related
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2011, 06:50:59 PM »

From what AGD has said, it's nothing to write home about

dear mom and pop

it's me punkinhead. college is going good i can drink many beers before vomiting now. mY grAdess ar GooD. i miss my pad n the places ive known. kiss the dog for me.

plank

hey hey, I graduated from college in 09 thank you very much.   Grin

sure, it was a 4 year degree that took 6 years...but it takes time to make decisions on what one wants to do the rest of their life.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2011, 02:40:05 PM »

I think the next big money maker once the Smile Sessions box has run it course must be the long awaited "Summer In Paradise Sessions" boxset. Alan and Mark are getting ready to trawl through the vaults once more in search of sessions and outtakes stemming from this landmark album. Fans will salivate at the thought of Mike's X-rated 'naughty' version of Summer of Love, where he catalogues "California Girls style" all the women he given it to doggy style. Will the mythical 15 minute version of John Stamo's Forever be located? We can but hope. Maybe they will stumble on the original album mastertapes labelled "Summer in Paradise - Good version". The deluxe edition will come with a flashing surfboard, a pair of Bruce's tighty white shorts, one of Mike's illegitimate children and a beautiful 900 page book written by Mike Love on how great Mike Love is. And of course it will be signed by Mike, Bruce and John but not Al as he is having 'attitude problems'. Preorders on Amazon will be for $110 but the price is likely to drop to $2.99 after a couple of days. Get saving now SmileySmilers!!!!!!! 

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »

I think the next big money maker once the Smile Sessions box has run it course must be the long awaited "Summer In Paradise Sessions" boxset. Alan and Mark are getting ready to trawl through the vaults once more in search of sessions and outtakes stemming from this landmark album. Fans will salivate at the thought of Mike's X-rated 'naughty' version of Summer of Love, where he catalogues "California Girls style" all the women he given it to doggy style. Will the mythical 15 minute version of John Stamo's Forever be located? We can but hope. Maybe they will stumble on the original album mastertapes labelled "Summer in Paradise - Good version". The deluxe edition will come with a flashing surfboard, a pair of Bruce's tighty white shorts, one of Mike's illegitimate children and a beautiful 900 page book written by Mike Love on how great Mike Love is. And of course it will be signed by Mike, Bruce and John but not Al as he is having 'attitude problems'. Preorders on Amazon will be for $110 but the price is likely to drop to $2.99 after a couple of days. Get saving now SmileySmilers!!!!!!! 
LOL
I can honestly say, that is the only Beach Boys album I have neither owned nor heard, and it was released at the very apex of my obsesssion with them.

No Brian, no buy
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2011, 11:01:21 AM »

I think the next big money maker once the Smile Sessions box has run it course must be the long awaited "Summer In Paradise Sessions" boxset. Alan and Mark are getting ready to trawl through the vaults once more in search of sessions and outtakes stemming from this landmark album.

The “SIP” album was apparently a relatively early instance of an album being recorded entirely on computer-based software and hardware. I think the album liner notes list the equipment. It was recorded with ProTools on an Apple Macintosh Quadra or some such thing. In any event, I’ve always wondered if they have any backups or the original hard drives or whatever medium that stuff would been stored on. Either outtakes or even the multi-tracks for the finished songs would presumably have to be culled from those sources. I suppose they may have backed the stuff up on DAT or some other non-computer based media. Anybody familiar with how the material for this album is archived, if it is at all?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2011, 11:42:28 AM »

How about the following. Bearing in mind you could probably start a decent sized thread on unreleased Neil Young albums......

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Human Highway

Not forgetting the original Chrome Dreams, the original Old Ways + a host of others by Neil......

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2011, 11:47:01 AM »

I think the next big money maker once the Smile Sessions box has run it course must be the long awaited "Summer In Paradise Sessions" boxset.

(retches)

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
changeng
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »

Don't overlook Bowie's original "Outside" album.  Cut to PIECES because of the record company, the original version is supposedly about 90 minutes long - here's what wikipedia has on it -

"Outside was originally conceived in March 1994, based on a three and a half hour jam session between David Bowie, Brian Eno and the other musicians involved in the project. Bowie wanted to release the raw versions of the jams as a double album titled "Leon", but was unable to find a record label willing to distribute something that was so uncommercial. A number of original tracks from this jam session have leaked on the Internet and are called by fans the Outside Outtakes.

The Outtakes appear on the final album in their rawest form as the segues that are scattered throughout it, albeit edited considerably. "I Am With Name", for instance is 22 minutes long in the Outtakes' version, as well as other songs (such as one noted by Reeves Gabrels to be titled "The Enemy is Fragile" and one with a similar sound to "The Motel" called "We'll Creep Together")."

If you haven't heard the Outtakes, hunt it down - hard to piece together Tah-RIPPY listening and something that should satiate the puzzle-solver in any SMiLE-o-phile!  His last great musical outting.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2011, 02:28:07 PM »

How about the following. Bearing in mind you could probably start a decent sized thread on unreleased Neil Young albums......

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Human Highway

Not forgetting the original Chrome Dreams, the original Old Ways + a host of others by Neil......
Yeah I'm pretty excited for the unreleased albums that will (eventually) be released as a part of Archives Vol. 2

"Four unreleased albums from this period are being rebuilt and will be available in the NYA Special Release Series. Chrome Dreams, Homegrown and Oceanside-Countryside are the three unreleased studio albums. Also from this period is the unreleased Odeon-Budokan live recording produced by David Briggs and Tim Mulligan. These albums initially will be released in vinyl from analog masters as they originally were created for that format."

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2011, 02:30:11 PM »

Didn't Echo & The Bunnymen scrap a whole albums worth of material trying to follow up Ocean Rain? Would like to get my hands on that.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2011, 02:40:07 PM »

Didn't Echo & The Bunnymen scrap a whole albums worth of material trying to follow up Ocean Rain? Would like to get my hands on that.
Ah, I love the Bunnymen. A lot of that's available on the expanded edition of the grey album released a few years back, as well as the Crystal Days box set. Check it out. Personally I found those tracks interesting historically, but a little aimless, trying to find their way (kind of like the earliest Porcupine mixes which were often largely repetitive riffs in D).

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx