gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:55:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: To have a complete SMiLE collection (10/13/11) *UPDATE to session inventory"  (Read 16469 times)
Jason
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2011, 11:24:29 AM »

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. That was from the original draft of the sessionography, and I had forgotten to make the change.

For the record, I made some edits to make note of work done on Smile tracks done after 1967 for later releases.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:36:01 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2011, 12:30:21 PM »

Futhermore there is a track on the SOT Source Tape called Wind Chimes (session) which is a not so good quality compilation of sessions also found on UM 17 (from takes 1-5). However, there are some small snippetts of sounds/instruments etcetera in between the takes that is not on UM 17, so I think it might be essential.

As far as I'm aware there's nothing new in there but I'll take another listen.

Thanks for your reply. To be more specific: there are unique sound/instrument/studio snippets at 1:50 (very soft, after take 3); 2:36 (just before Take 5, the end of it is audible on UM 17). Hope that helps.

I looked at your 'Wonderful' list and saw this:

12-15-66

Group vocal overdub master take (stereo) (2:19)
Group vocal overdub mono mix (mono) (2:05)

Available on Secret Smile (group vocal overdub master take, also on Vigotone 2-CD in lesser quality without the count-off), Vigotone 2-CD "Smile" (group vocal overdub mono mix)

"Yodeling" vocal overdub session.

The only vocal Wonderful track on Secret Smile is in mono. And the "Vigotone 2-CD in lesser quality without the count-off", isn't that actually the second track in your list, the Group vocal overdub mono mix (mono) (2:05)?

Thanks,
Paul
Jason
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2011, 12:53:59 PM »

I cleaned that up too.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2011, 01:25:57 PM »

I cleaned that up too.

Thanks!
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2011, 02:17:17 PM »

Another suggestion.

From the list:

CHILD IS FATHER OF THE MAN

10-7-66

Chorus, takes 1-6, 8 (stereo) (7:04)
Verse, takes 1-8 (stereo) (2:30)
Track assembly (stereo) (0:53)

Available on Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 16 "Smile" (track assembly) as part of track 8, Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 17 "Smile Sessions" (chorus, takes 1-4, 8, verse, takes 1-6), SOT Smile Source Tape (chorus, takes 5-6, verse, takes 7-8)

This is an early backing track session. Brian revised it a few days later.

It is clear take 1-4 and take 8 of the verse are on UM 17. SOT ST (Source Tape) seems to add take 5, and the count in of take 6. They add up to about 7 minutes indeed. However, I'm not sure I can find take 7 and 8 of the verse. Is that the piece between Chorus take 6 and take 8 on the SOT ST? In that case, I think it might only be a rehearsal and a mis-called take 7. It seems to be one take, "still rolling on take 8".

One small point: Chorus take 8 is a bit longer on SOT ST. There are a few more seconds right before the count in, and the bass notes (and maybe even the count in) before "yeah one more" may belong to the Chorus take 8.

Paul

EDIT: Just wanted to point out that there is a bit of the sessions for Prayer on Archaeology, shorter but better quality than Vigotone.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 02:19:37 PM by Paul2010 » Logged
Jason
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2011, 09:44:24 PM »

Nah, if you listen to the "verse takes 1-10" track on the SOT, Chuck clearly calls out before six takes, those being 1-6. The other two takes are on the SOT ST and I doubt the alleged seventh take is a rehearsal.

And yeah, I revised the Prayer track bit. I took a closer listen and compared the sources of the vocal session; Vigotone's is muddy throughout, Archaeology is clear but only half of the length. My copy is a mix of the two. For some reason I listed it there as unbooted but forgot about the Archaeology bit. It's since been corrected.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2011, 11:59:35 PM »

Nah, if you listen to the "verse takes 1-10" track on the SOT, Chuck clearly calls out before six takes, those being 1-6. The other two takes are on the SOT ST and I doubt the alleged seventh take is a rehearsal.

And yeah, I revised the Prayer track bit. I took a closer listen and compared the sources of the vocal session; Vigotone's is muddy throughout, Archaeology is clear but only half of the length. My copy is a mix of the two. For some reason I listed it there as unbooted but forgot about the Archaeology bit. It's since been corrected.

Thanks for your reply and corrections! I just wanted to ask, what does it mean when a track is 'unbooted'? For example: Cabin Essence - Chorus vocal overdub, from acetate (mono) (0:29). Does it mean that we know it exists, but that it isn't on any bootleg, or does it mean in circulates (on the internet) but that it hasn't been used for a bootleg cd?

Thanks,
Paul
Jason
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2011, 06:59:41 AM »

The latter.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2011, 07:36:52 AM »

The latter.

Thanks for your reply. Here are some more suggestions:

Do You Like Worms

There are longer sessions on the SOT Source Tape, longer than UM 17 (after take 23, before the count in of take 24). Take 14 of the Bicycle Rider/HAV theme is longer (it starts a bit earlier) than UM 17. Part 1 1st vocal overdub is also a little bit longer than on UM 17. Than there is the stereo mix on the SOT Source Tape - I think that might have been the source for the stereo UM 16 track. It is longer, and in a more unedited form, and all the vocals are the same. So every track on the SOT Source Tape is essential for the complete DYLW sessions.

The Old Master Painter

The list does not contain take 3 of part 1: it is available on the SOT Source Tape CD. Take 4 might be a little tiny bit longer on the SOT Source Tape, but it is almost nothing.
Further you mention a track assembly from the SOT Source Tape (mono). The track that I found on that cd is called 'Track', but is in mono and stereo and 2:24, while your list says it is 1:58. What exact track do you mean by 'Track assembly (mono) (1:58)'?

I hope this contributes to making this list even better and more complete than it was!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 07:37:48 AM by Paul2010 » Logged
Jason
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2011, 10:10:04 AM »

Fixed all of the necessary bits and pieces. The TOMP track assembly timing was a typo, it is indeed 2:21.
kregan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2011, 06:12:07 PM »

Hey man!

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to organize all the available versions of these amazing songs. Your list will definitely be the perfect compliment to the new box that's coming shortly (I'm literally chomping at the bit for it, no pun intended!) I have been following your list, but I am having a little trouble with the following listing:

Part 2, two revised version mono mix attempts (mono) (3:40)
Version 4, part 2 takes 1-10 (mono/stereo) (6:07)

Version 4, part 2 vocal overdub (mono/stereo) (0:50)
Version 4, part 2 stereo mix (stereo) (0:42)

Available on Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 17 "Smile Sessions" (Part 2, second revised version mono mix attempt) Heroes and Villains Sessions Part 2 (Part 2, first revised version mono mix attempt, version 4, part 2 takes 1-10, version 4, part 2 vocal overdub and stereo mix)

Some mono mix attempts. Version 4, part 2 is the slow "dit dit dit heroes and villains" refrain.

Try as I might, I cannot seem to locate anything on the Heroes and Villains Sessions, Part 2 disc that remotely resembles a 6:07 session for the slow "dit dit dit" refrain. I did locate the last 2 tracks listed (the vocal overdub and stereo mix) but cannot seem to find any type of session for that particular track on that particular disc. Could you please inform me as to where this could be found? Also, though I have located the two revised version mono mix attempts, they only time out to 3:25, not 3:40 as you stated. Any help you can give me would be great!

Again, thanks so much for taking the time and effort to help all of us along with attaining the ultimate SMiLE collection! I look forward to your reply! Take care!

Kev
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2011, 06:18:01 PM »

As a relatively uninformed head on this, is this not on the H&V Part 1 bootleg? Away from my collection atm, but there's a lengthy section on that boot. I may well be mistaken.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
kregan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2011, 06:22:49 PM »

Hey Hypehat!

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't started sorting the tracks yet tonight, but off memory there are sessions for takes 1-10 of Gee and takes 1-10 of the dum dum dum section.  At first I assumed the session listed was for the "dum dum dums" but later on in the list, it is listed separately. I believe those are the two lengthy sessions you are referring to. Take care!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2011, 06:25:37 PM »

I am getting confused between "Dum Dum Dum" & "Dit Dit Dit" - time to get some sleep  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
kregan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2011, 06:30:11 PM »

You and me both, my friend... you and me both!  Cheesy
Jason
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »

Currently investigating what Kev has noted down...will check back with an update within the hour.
Jason
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2011, 07:55:58 PM »

Hey man!

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to organize all the available versions of these amazing songs. Your list will definitely be the perfect compliment to the new box that's coming shortly (I'm literally chomping at the bit for it, no pun intended!) I have been following your list, but I am having a little trouble with the following listing:

Part 2, two revised version mono mix attempts (mono) (3:40)
Version 4, part 2 takes 1-10 (mono/stereo) (6:07)

Version 4, part 2 vocal overdub (mono/stereo) (0:50)
Version 4, part 2 stereo mix (stereo) (0:42)

Available on Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 17 "Smile Sessions" (Part 2, second revised version mono mix attempt) Heroes and Villains Sessions Part 2 (Part 2, first revised version mono mix attempt, version 4, part 2 takes 1-10, version 4, part 2 vocal overdub and stereo mix)

Some mono mix attempts. Version 4, part 2 is the slow "dit dit dit heroes and villains" refrain.

Try as I might, I cannot seem to locate anything on the Heroes and Villains Sessions, Part 2 disc that remotely resembles a 6:07 session for the slow "dit dit dit" refrain. I did locate the last 2 tracks listed (the vocal overdub and stereo mix) but cannot seem to find any type of session for that particular track on that particular disc. Could you please inform me as to where this could be found? Also, though I have located the two revised version mono mix attempts, they only time out to 3:25, not 3:40 as you stated. Any help you can give me would be great!

Again, thanks so much for taking the time and effort to help all of us along with attaining the ultimate SMiLE collection! I look forward to your reply! Take care!

Kev

Did some double-checking, and have made appropriate adjustments in that session's notes in the Inventory thread.
obscurereference
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2011, 02:26:50 AM »

Did some double-checking, and have made appropriate adjustments in that session's notes in the Inventory thread.
Thanks again The Real Beach Boy. Was just coming on here to ask about that track and found that Kregan had already asked and you'd already answered! Fantastic!

kregan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2011, 04:03:18 AM »

Thanks so much, man! You really helped me out! Keep up the good work! Rock on, dude!

Kev
Jason
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2011, 06:55:01 AM »

I gotta thank all of you folks as well. Let's make this the definitive Smile inventory!
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2011, 07:04:06 AM »

Very soon I'll start with all the HAV recordings. I already split all the long tracks on HAV Sessions Parts 1 & 2. Once HAV is done, everything else is easy!
Jason
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2011, 07:56:12 AM »

Once we finish the Smile stuff, how about we perform this same undertaking on EVERY Beach Boys album? This has been a LOT of fun. I think we should keep it up.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2011, 01:10:35 PM »

I've been taking a break from this project but a though occurred to me. Why not add "Surf's Up (Vocals Mix)" from Get The Boot? It will be on my set anyway.
Jason
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2011, 01:58:22 PM »

Good point. It has been added.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2011, 02:07:19 PM »

Hi The Real Beach Boy, I'm not (yet) too much into the rest of the album's sessions (though I like the earlier and later years as well) but why not!

I just started on the HAV verse recordings.

Your list says this:

10-20-66

Part 1, rehearsals and takes 1 and 4, and unknown take (2 or 3?) (stereo) (11:30)
Part 1, track, mono mix (mono) (0:52)

Available on Heroes and Villains Sessions One and Two (Part 1, rehearsals up to 1:49), Heroes and Villains Sessions Part 2 (Part 1, rehearsals from 1:49 to end, takes 1 and 4, mono mix), Heroes and Vibrations (Part 1, unknown take (2 or 3?)

Backing track session. This session will be revised a few times over and overdubbed with vocals.

I can't find all the recordings and tracks you mention. On HAVS2 (Heroes and Villains Sessions Vol 2) there is 8:45 of rehearsals and take 1 and 4. On HAVS1-2 there is 1:49 of 'oscillator query' and 0:32 of unique rehearsal which isn't present on the list (from 2:24 - 2:56). So that leaves about one minute for the unknown take (Heroes And Vibrations). It seems that that track is also represented on Archaeology. Heroes And Vibrations might sound better, but the Arch track starts a bit earlier and doesn’t fade out (while Heroes And Vibrations does). Further Arch. Is lossless, and HAV lossy. So Arch. may be a essential source for this track.

I don’t know which tack you mean with Part 1, track, mono mix (mono) (0:52). Could you please point out which track you mean? The only thing I could find was an acetate of the verse but that one includes vocals.

Thanks a lot,

Paul

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx