gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:17:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: a beach boys version of "locomotion"?  (Read 5333 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2011, 06:38:10 PM »

I remember about 15 years ago Time life was advertising one their cds on tv and they had a version of Locomotion by the Beach boys,it sounded like their version of "crocodile rock" and the SIP cd so I'm going to assume it was  recorded in the 90's,it's not the same version that Mike Love did solo because I remember Carl singing on it somewhere..after the comnmercial went off the air the song had vanished and I haven't heard it on any boots it's like it vanished..anyone know anyhting about this?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 06:41:42 PM »

I think that's actually a released song by some big band, Grand Funk Railroad or something, Carl just sang backup vocals on it, so it's not really a Beach Boys song.  It actually sounds like Brian singing crazy in the backing vocals, honestly.  Someone who knows more than me will chime in about it, I'm sure.  they play it on the radio all the time if you listen to oldies or classic rock stations. 
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »

I`ve been hearing the Grand Funk cover on the radio since I was a kid...didn`t realize Carl sang on it.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 07:27:10 PM »

We need somebody who knows for sure to chime in, but I thought I've heard that before.  Could be wrong! 
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 08:48:31 PM »

"The idea of Locomotion came when we were working on the Shinin' On album in the studio with Todd (Rundgren). We had basically finished the album - 'Shinin' On' was going to be the first single, and we were thinking about what we were going to do for another song. Mark (Farner) came in one day and off the top of his head was singing, 'Everybody's doing a brand new dance now,' just for fun, and we all went, 'Yeah, Grand Funk doing the Locomotion.' It was a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing, and we said, 'Let's try it, let's do it,' so we sent off to New York, got the lyrics, and Todd had the idea of doing the song kind of like The Beach Boys' 'Barbara Ann' where it sounded like a big party was going on, except Todd could really crank up every thing with the hand claps and all of that stuff. It just had this huge sound to it - it sounded like a big party."

-Grand Funk drummer and vocalist Don Brewer

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 11:13:21 PM »

I`ve been hearing the Grand Funk cover on the radio since I was a kid...didn`t realize Carl sang on it.

That's because he didn't.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 06:10:27 AM »

A guy that I used to work with had the BB Locomotion on his PC, they definately recorded a version of it.

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 06:48:14 AM »

A guy that I used to work with had the BB Locomotion on his PC, they definately recorded a version of it.

Nope. But Mike did for the 1983 Radio Shack only release Rock & Roll City.

Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 06:52:31 AM »

The version I heard had Mike, Bruce, Al and mostly Carl on the choruses.

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 06:53:42 AM »

Are you positive it wasn't the Grand Funk one? I mean it sounds exactly like the Beach Boys.
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 06:55:37 AM »

Carl was definately on it.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 07:25:33 AM »

yes I remember the Time Life ad actually said the beach boys as the singers and it didn't sound like it was from the 70's or anything like that it sounded like the stuff they were recording in the 90's,the production was like "crocodile Rock" or the songs from SIP and Carl was either singing lead or was in the background (can't rememeber which) but I remember hearing him on it and I was thinking at the time "cool the beach boys have a new songs out".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 09:25:58 AM »

Anyone can provide hard evidence that this is so, I'll gladly revise my list of BB as guests.  Smiley

This is the GFR version. I hear no BBs. More to the point, the Time Life releases are hardly low profile - I think the word would be out by now.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:33:43 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 09:39:53 AM »

GFR version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxyU4W8iyeI
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »

Sure is one hell of an echo in here.  Smiley

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 10:11:41 AM »

I did a google search for The Locomotion, Beach Boys, and one of the links listed took me here. 
http://aimini.net/view/?fid=AZLnFsEU9n5cQuJFtmFk
It says it's The Beach Boys, but it's the Grand Funk version.  No Beach Boys to be heard.  I'd chalk this one up as another The Lion Sleeps Tonight or Beach Baby.  Lots of people thought those songs were by The Beach Boys, too (although I can't quite understand why...neither sounds anything like the BBs).
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »

the problem I'm having is the commercial actually said the beach boys when they had the list of songs scrolling on the page and it sounded like carl was on it,so I guess it could be GFR but they mistaked it for the BB but that wouldn't explain Carl being on it or the 90's production that it had,unless it was a 90's remix or something.. it definanlty sounded like it was from the SIP time frame  and not the 70's..heavy snths and drum machine type sound like the other songs they were doing during the 90's. so it's kind of strange.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 07:50:04 PM »

More information on The Mike Love version can be found here:

http://thejananddeanblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/jan-dean-collector-serie-vol-15.html

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 11:25:38 PM »

the problem I'm having is the commercial actually said the beach boys when they had the list of songs scrolling on the page and it sounded like carl was on it,so I guess it could be GFR but they mistaked it for the BB but that wouldn't explain Carl being on it or the 90's production that it had,unless it was a 90's remix or something.. it definanlty sounded like it was from the SIP time frame  and not the 70's..heavy snths and drum machine type sound like the other songs they were doing during the 90's. so it's kind of strange.

... except that Carl isn't on it. As I said below, the Time Life series are not low profile and it would have entered the collectors arena by now. I've asked around, and no-one's heard word one about it. I googled it using the relevant words - nothing, except two YouTube links that are the GFR recording. There's no report of the band recording the title in question during the 90s. If some convincing hard evidence turns up - the song itself, the advert, an album credit -  I'll change my mind, but as it stands right now, I'm thinking a case of mistaken identity. Happens - first time I heard it I swore up and down that "Almost Summer" was the BB.  Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx