gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:46:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Box tracklist!!!!!!!!  (Read 17188 times)
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2011, 11:03:44 PM »

The hidden tracks have been identified...shall I list them?
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2011, 11:26:55 PM »

***BEWARE SPOILERS***

Just follow this link: http://www.blowitoutahere.com/the-beach-boys-smile-sessions/5099902765822
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2011, 01:31:57 AM »

I wonder what marks the disk 5 hidden track as worthy of inclusion?

Rewind?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2011, 05:11:27 AM »

I think it might be something… conclusive  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2011, 10:57:35 AM »

Rewind?

My only thought is that there's something buried in there that is only apparent when you backmask the track (or perhaps Brian did an edit like this but later removed the backwards part).  If not that, why else would something like this be relevant?  I can't make sense out of John's cryptic words...
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2011, 11:31:37 AM »

I have a theory....

You know that tape rewinding at the beginning of the mono mix of "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times"Huh?

I wonder....

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
trismegistus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2011, 11:50:21 AM »

Unless I totally missed the boat and we already knew this, did anybody notice that that link lists the track times for the 7" singles?

- Disc 8 -
1 Heroes and Villains Part One - 3:08
2 Heroes and Villains Part Two - 4:18
- Disc 9 -
1 Vega-Tables - 3:49
2 Surf's Up - 4:12

Heroes Part 1 clearly isn't the 'album mix' according to disc one, and neither Part 1 or 2 match up exactly with the general bootleg assumptions parts 1 and 2, though 1 is close enough to the 3 minute 'alternate mix'. Together they are, however, nearly the exact length of the "sections' on disc 1, and taking into account the inexactitude of timing vinyl, are probably (possibly?) the same thing.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:56:49 AM by trismegistus » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2011, 03:16:38 PM »

Rewind?

My only thought is that there's something buried in there that is only apparent when you backmask the track (or perhaps Brian did an edit like this but later removed the backwards part).  If not that, why else would something like this be relevant?  I can't make sense out of John's cryptic words...

I meant, perhaps it's intended as a conclusion to the whole kit and kaboodle. Just the sound of the tape being wound back, as if to say, at the end of five CDs worth of sessions and such, "Okay, it's in the bag – now everyone into the listening booth to hear the results!"

“We live in divisive times.”
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2011, 03:20:49 PM »

Rewind?

I meant, perhaps it's intended as a conclusion to the whole kit and kaboodle. Just the sound of the tape being wound back, as if to say, at the end of five CDs worth of sessions and such, "Okay, it's in the bag – now everyone into the listening booth to hear the results!"

That makes sense, but I think the SMiLE promo would have worked better as a closer
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2011, 04:09:43 PM »

Rewind?

Hadn't thought of that - makes sense I suppose, although I agree with Iron Horse-Apples that the promo works better if a concluding piece is what they were going for. 
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2011, 05:38:40 PM »

You have to keep in mind though that there are some tracks that they surely thought needed to be heard by everyone, and the Capitol promo is probably one of those tracks, so it would have to be on one of the two discs of the 2 CD set. If it closed the entire 5 disc set, many people wouldn't hear it. I think the compilers deemed this one essential enough to go on disc 1.

What's really curious though is that after having read the tracklist over and over for the last month, i still cannot figure out the logic that went into the contents of disc 2. That's an entire disc of extra stuff for those who are not quite interested enough to delve into the entire box set (lunatics!) and so it's most likely the best of the best/essential stuff. But the tracks and sequence are such odd choices for that. This is the set that MOST people will hear, and the compilers presumably want to "wow" people here or use stuff that provides the most insight to the overall project, and there's: dialogue from the Prayer session, the "children were raised section" and prelude to fade of H&V, My Only Sunshine, Vega-Tables fade (even though that is one of my top 5 favorite pieces of Smile, i still find it a curious inclusion), 8 and a half minutes of Fire session (i think that's the longest session represented), and Cool Cool Water version 2? Do these choices make any sense to anyone? It seems that disc 2 for Joe Public could have been compiled a bit "better" whatever that means, but i guess any decisions are very subjective. It is nice though to see them take a more daring and unconventional approach, so cheers for that.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 05:54:32 PM by monicker » Logged

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2011, 11:57:42 AM »

The hidden tracks have been identified...shall I list them?

Might as well.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2011, 08:22:32 AM »

I thought I'd continue this thread by asking are there any "essential" tracks that are still missing??

1. Barnyard (Vocal Session)
I'm bringing this one up because I am worried that the Barnyard track that is on CD1 will be edited and we won't have the full song... unless the Vocals were recorded with the Master Take. I'm not sure.

2. Water Chant

3. Little Red Book
I have always associated this song as being a possible b-side of H&V although now I've been told that it is a recording from 68. Is that right?

4. With Me Tonight
We got 2 minutes and 48 seconds of this tracks. Is that enough time for the 3 versions we know of?

5. Cabin Essence (Vocal Sessions)
This one surprised me the most! Were are the sessions for this?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Any other thoughts?

A bit of a late reaction, but I was surprised with the absence of Water Chant as well. But, then I thought of the fact that the track is almost nothing but (backing) vocals. So...maybe it's included (with the organ I hope) in the backing vocals montage!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2011, 08:27:56 AM »

I thought I'd continue this thread by asking are there any "essential" tracks that are still missing??

I'm bringing this one up because I am worried that the Barnyard track that is on CD1 will be edited and we won't have the full song... unless the Vocals were recorded with the Master Take. I'm not sure.

2. Water Chant

3. Little Red Book
I have always associated this song as being a possible b-side of H&V although now I've been told that it is a recording from 68. Is that right?

4. With Me Tonight
We got 2 minutes and 48 seconds of this tracks. Is that enough time for the 3 versions we know of?

A bit of a late reaction, but I was surprised with the absence of Water Chant as well. But, then I thought of the fact that the track is almost nothing but (backing) vocals. So...maybe it's included (with the organ I hope) in the backing vocals montage!

Once again, it's part of Da-Da.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2011, 08:31:11 AM »

2. Water Chant

3. Little Red Book

4. With Me Tonight

Once again, it's part of Da-Da.

Yeah, in a mono mix, but all the other tracks' sessions are present as well. So at first it seemed to me there isn't a stereo WC, while there is stereo Holidays, Look etc. But as I said, I think it might be present in stereo in the backing vocals montage.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2011, 10:02:39 AM »

This is likely somewhere else already, but I can't find it.  Is there a listing of the tracks (if any) that are on the 2 CD set or Vinyl set, but not included on the box set?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2011, 10:57:33 AM »

The tracks on side four of the vinyl are exclusive to the record.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2011, 11:04:26 AM »

The tracks on side four of the vinyl are exclusive to the record.

And those do not appear on the vinyl in the box?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2011, 12:01:38 PM »

oh, that's not what I meant, I meant there's just no digital version of them.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2011, 12:03:47 PM »

OH, OK, so if you get the box set, do you get everything?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2011, 12:14:14 PM »

Si senor.  Smiley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »

Si senor.  Smiley

Except for the 2  cd version which has a disc with some stuff only available on disc 2.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »

This document is still accurate?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9777601/tss_sidebyside_02.pdf
Jason
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2011, 12:31:27 PM »

Kind of, but the vinyl contents are also on the box set, including the bonus tracks.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »

Thanks everyone!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx