gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 09:13:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UK Sellers of TSS  (Read 8785 times)
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:34:06 AM »

Spin CDs have it listed now, £128.99 inc. free shipping

http://www.spincds.com/blog/2011/08/31/the-beach-boys-smile-sessions/
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 03:37:30 AM »

That'll do for me!  Cool

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 03:51:40 AM »

That's €145. For €146, on Amazon.com, I have the box set, two 2-cd sets, and a 2-lp set. And the shipping.  Tongue

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 04:21:02 AM »

Yup. Got all three combos for £135.57, inc delivery and import duties to UK. That pre-pre-order looks better every day.

“We live in divisive times.”
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 04:24:21 AM »

I've got it for 126 quid on Amazon.com, that includes fastest shipping, and it might not get there until the 8th cos it's coming from abroad. Plus, we don't know about the tax situation.... Might  cancel that and preorder from Spin. Do they make you pay now or upon shipping?

It seems like now.....

Dammit. Can't afford this til the end of next month.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:28:27 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 05:15:15 AM »

I'm in the UK too, and I keep wavering about what to do. I've nearly ordered from the US Amazon several times over the past few days, but every time I go to do it, I stop. Like many here, I'd far rather order a 'real' EMI UK version from Amazon.co.uk... except of course it's not available there yet. I assume that anything ordered from Spin is actually itself merely a US Amazon order that Spin have made, which they will then sell on to UK customers, rather than a true UK release of the set.

I can't understand what's going on. This surely isn't a US-only set that will not be made available in the UK other than as an import - like AGD on the board a few days ago, I can't bring myself to believe that even EMI would be so mad to make its release that territorially limited - and I'll bet it's eventually available through the UK amazon, and in UK record stores as a bona fide UK release. So why the delay for pre-orders through anything other than the US Amazon? It sounds a little paranoid, but I'm wondering if it's some sort of arrangement to ensure that the first few thousand sales are made by front-line SMiLE fans like us in US dollars, rather than in unreliably fluctuating foreign currencies, thereby maximising the pre-sales as a known quantity of dollars. But that might be a load of hooey on my part!

I would hope that the cost of a proper UK release would be below 125 quid in the UK... assuming a 'true' UK version does come out. I mean, that's over 200 dollars at the moment! I know that we often pay prices in pounds for consumer and computing goods that are the same as the cost of the same items in the States in dollars, but this is a bunch of CDs, not a washing machine. And if the box comes out as a proper EMI UK release, it won't even need to be imported from the States.

Also, it might currently be 170 dollars from Amazon.com on pre-order (and have been still cheaper back over the weekend), but there's no way that order is gonna arrive in the UK for delivery on anything like November 1. Best case, it's gonna take a few days... a few days which will be agonising as you know your set is somewhere in transit, inching its way towards you across the globe, while everyone in the US is dressed in red fire hats, having SMiLE listening parties, crunching their way through their favourite vegetables and covering each other in Reddi-Whip (that's what I'd be doing... or is that just me?).

And that's best-case delivery, too. For a set of that value, UK customs are bound to swoop on at least some of the sets, impound them, and demand import tax. Most of the CDs I've bought direct from the States are too small (physically and in terms of cost) to interest them, but a higher-value box like this will set the bells ringing. It took my Dad (who also lives in the UK) 11 months to receive a boxed set of Jazz he ordered from the States a couple of years back, as it was impounded by UK customs and excise. I'm NOT having that happen to my copy of SMiLE!

So right now, I'm doing my best to just hang fire ('must... find... willpower... must... not... use... Amazon.com... one-click... buy... option...!'), until I can go down to my local bricks-and-mortar store on the UK release date and pick the damn thing up in person. That's what I did for Brian's SMiLE in 2004, and there's nothing to quite rival the joy of walking out of the store with your mint-condition copy a significant weight in your hands,  the pleasure of reading the liner notes on the bus home (I'm with Paul McCartney on that one...), and the anticipation of opening your front door and firing up the CD player, ready for some serious listening. Compare that to the misery of wondering whether this will finally be the day that the postman brings your SMiLE set... and being disappointed for the 89th day in a row as he walks straight past your house, or brings another gas bill.

Anyone feel the same way?

MattB
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 05:35:27 AM »

Matt: yes, that's exactly how I feel.
I think it's beyond doubt that there'll be UK editions of all formats of the Smile Sessions (there's a "UK pre-order coming soon" link on www.thebeachboys.com ). I'm guessing/hoping that the box will be priced around the £110 mark. Either way, I'm lucky (?) enough to live in west London, a brisk walk away from one of the best record shops in the UK. The idea of walking into Rough Trade on october 31st and buying the thing over the counter is too exciting to resist, though I'll probably end up going for the limited signed (by who?) lithograph set from thebeachboys.com too.
But yeah, ordering from the US is just too risky, particularly as the UK release date is a day earlier than the US release date.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 05:38:53 AM »

Totally agree with you, Matt. Nothing beats actually going on the day of release, handing over hard earned cash and having something in your hands.
I'm taking the day off work, going to Bristol, reading the book with a pint in a quiet pub and then heading home for a monster listening session whilst checking the threads on here reading everyone's thoughts
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 05:43:20 AM »

I might well do that - lectures can go hang....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 05:47:42 AM »

UK special edition:

– 5-CD box with SMiLE Shop's windows smashed and model looter outside reaching in to steal a SMiLE button
– Autographed cricket bat
– 60-page facsimile of The Times from 1967 (note – no mention of the Beach Boys)
– Bonus CD, Beatles Listening Party from 1967, during which Derek Taylor can be heard playing SMiLE tapes to John, Paul, George & Ringo in a Liverpool bar
– Replica pair of Al Jardine's shorts (note – size XS only)
– Hand-delivered on a bicycle by Bruce Johnston

Now available for exclusive pre-looting at Miss Selfridge

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 05:57:33 AM »

I would still order from Badlands in Cheltenham - there is a reason for doing this if you are in the UK - you should find out when you RING and place the order - TRUST ME

Cheers

Richard
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 06:11:40 AM »

there's a "UK pre-order coming soon" link on www.thebeachboys.com

I love that the SMiLE cover shown there is the same one as we have on all the boots, with 'Full Dimensional Stereo' on the top, and *not* the new artwork! I mean, I know that's the official old cover, so it's not inappropriate, but why aren't they using the new artwork?

Good to see that link mentioning the UK, though Harvey, thanks for sharing. I'm guessing it won't be all that long... and it's great to see that all the UK sources reporting the release (bbc.co.uk, NME, The Guardian etc) are showing October 31st as the date. Once again, we're in there a day early!

And yes, what a thing to be buying SMiLE for real over the counter in Rough Trade! How cool is that? The only flaw in my plan is that I *don't* live anywhere quite so well-supplied - I'm out in the sticks, which means that there's always the risk that my local music store won't have the box set (I had endless problems trying to get hold of the CD of That Lucky Old Sun from there). I may make a special trip to London. It'd be great to pick it up in the big old HMV in Oxford Street and read the book on the train home...

And finally, Desmondo... thees what you say ees most eeeenteresteeeng... You wouldn't have any more to say on this subject if I ask in a Polite and Mannerly way, would you...?

MattB
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:29:29 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 06:34:42 AM »

UK special edition:

– 5-CD box with SMiLE Shop's windows smashed and model looter outside reaching in to steal a SMiLE button
– 60-page facsimile of The Times from 1967 (note – no mention of the Beach Boys)
– Bonus CD, Beatles Listening Party from 1967, during which Derek Taylor can be heard playing SMiLE tapes to John, Paul, George & Ringo in a Liverpool bar

LOL LOL LOL LOL

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 06:50:20 AM »

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:52:26 AM by John Manning » Logged

Winston Wrong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 10:48:58 AM »

I would still order from Badlands in Cheltenham - there is a reason for doing this if you are in the UK - you should find out when you RING and place the order - TRUST ME
Whaaaa??
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 11:02:50 AM »

UK special edition:

Genius!  LOL

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Paulos
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 12:19:30 AM »

Still not on amazon.co.uk, very strange.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 12:46:56 AM »

Hey SMiLE addicts, i'm a long time lurker from here (God that sounds creepy)  Evil and i've been excited for this since March. I have to say though that 125 Quid seems far to much and could turn of alot of potential (or poorer like myself)  Grin buyers, fingers crossed  the price goes down to around 100 which I was hoping for to would begin with.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 12:49:42 AM »

The Amazon UK pages are finally up... sort of.  No orders or prices yet, just signups for notification.

Box set
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smile-Sessions-Deluxe-Beach-Boys/dp/B004RFYEEC/
2 CD
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smile-Sessions-Beach-Boys/dp/B005J29HCQ/
2 LP
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smile-Sessions-VINYL-Beach-Boys/dp/B005J29HD0/
1 CD
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smile-Sessions-Jewel-Case/dp/B005KGNM90/

Looks like the single CD (in a jewel case) is really happening.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 01:01:12 AM »

The Amazon UK pages are finally up... sort of.  No orders or prices yet, just signups for notification.

Box set
2 CD
2 LP
1 CD

I just saw GBP 130 for the box.

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 01:04:52 AM »

Ah, yes, things change quickly...

Current prices...
£129.91 for the box
£17.99 for the 2CD
£14.99 for the 1CD
Vinyl unavailable at the moment
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 01:26:01 AM »

Is it generally known what's on the single CD in the jewel case?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 01:27:46 AM »

Is it generally known what's on the single CD in the jewel case?

It's CD1 from the box, the 'complete' SMiLE with bonus cuts. See the SpinCD cite, they've listed it with tracks and so on.

Paulos
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 02:33:21 AM »

Box set
2 CD
2 LP
1 CD

They must have listed it minutes after I posted that, damn you amazon.co.uk making me look stupid!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 02:48:02 AM »

Preordered from .co.uk. Being a sucker with fast shipping, it gets there on the 1/11/11.... The longest two months of my life....

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx