gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:20:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Phil Spector Presents The Philles Album Collection [Box set]  (Read 3163 times)
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:03:16 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Spector-Presents-Philles-Album-Collection/dp/B005BSCQPI/ref=wl_mb_hu_m_5_dp

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 02:30:51 AM »

Inexpensive. Originals. But: doubled/tripled tracks, and lots of filler. On the up side again: the B-sides thing, Uncle Phil made real zany B-sides.

So the verdict is still out. Well, perhaps I'll simply stick with my 1977 LPs and the Back To Mono box. They're nice, and since this year is breaking-the-bank year for BBs fans anyway...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:10:18 AM »

Inexpensive. Originals. But: doubled/tripled tracks, and lots of filler. On the up side again: the B-sides thing, Uncle Phil made real zany B-sides.

So the verdict is still out. Well, perhaps I'll simply stick with my 1977 LPs and the Back To Mono box. They're nice, and since this year is breaking-the-bank year for BBs fans anyway...

Let's Dance the Screw, part 1

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 12:38:18 AM »

No Ike and Tina album? 

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 01:32:22 AM »

No Ike and Tina album? 

I guess that is because it was on A&M. And half of the tracks sound like Phil had no hand in them (I have the vinyl one).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 07:13:58 PM »

I am jazzed about his set...

If it runs amuck, call the duck
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 01:54:34 AM »

No Ike and Tina album? 

I guess that is because it was on A&M. And half of the tracks sound like Phil had no hand in them (I have the vinyl one).
Yeh suppose it's just the albums where Phil produced all the tracks.  there's noe of the Righteous Bros albums either where Bill Medley produced 1/2 the tracks.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 03:08:08 AM »

For anyone on the fence, this is on Spotify and the remastering is amazing!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 05:54:05 AM »

Hope to buy this eventually. Brian probably bought it the day it came out.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 09:34:27 PM »

I wonder if they'll take exactly 1/6th off the price if I let them keep the Bobb E. Soxx album? 

Seriously, somebody clue my uneducated mind in: what's the deal with that?  All I've heard is his stuff on the christmas album, and I was not impressed.  I skip it every time I listen to it.  Did they do anything worth listening to?
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 11:10:08 PM »

Hell Yeah ; Why do lovers break each other's hearts is great, man! Baby I Love you is also really good. No worse than some of the Crystals stuff.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 02:25:01 PM »

Should i buy this?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 04:26:42 PM »

Depends what you're looking for - I'm put off by the fact that the second Crystals is all but identical to the first, for instance. But then you get the b-sides, which while they aren't WALL OF SOUND at least have the Wrecking Crew goofing off a bit, and the remastering's a bit lush. Am on the fence myself.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 07:11:20 AM »

To me this is worth it just for Presenting The Fabulous Ronettes... and the b-sides disc. Though the rest is also very much equally valid (although I echo the sentiments about including both Twist Uptown and He's a Rebel since they are mostly the same).
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx