gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680871 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:31:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New commemorative releases  (Read 14066 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 12:59:54 AM »

I want the Beach Boys to be the first major band to re-release all their albums as multi-tracks. Each album could come on a DVD, with tracking software for those who don't have it.

Just the tapes, as they are. No effects added.

I'd never leave my house again

So, be careful what you wish for?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 01:18:14 AM »

Deluxe editions of every album from Surfin' Safari to Love You.  Grin
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 01:20:55 AM »

Sorted.

The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 03:14:04 AM »

Deluxe editions of every album from Surfin' Safari to Stars & Stripes. Grin

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 03:21:14 AM »

Deluxe editions of every album from Surfin' Safari to Stars & Stripes. Grin

Some people... (emoticon of exasperation)

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 03:55:33 AM »

I want the Beach Boys to be the first major band to re-release all their albums as multi-tracks. Each album could come on a DVD, with tracking software for those who don't have it.

My lass would never leave the shed again.

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 06:06:51 AM »

Hope for something along the line of the Surf's up- Audio DVD

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 06:11:11 AM »

I just want to see a comp of the best of the material that has yet to be released.  I'm really hoping they don't do another re-release of the original albums putting the never before heard songs on them as bonus tracks.  It's better than nothing, but I already own the albums and they sound great to me.  I don't want to have to re-buy them just to get a couple of songs that I don't have. 

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 06:29:32 AM »

I'm really hoping they don't do another re-release of the original albums putting the never before heard songs on them as bonus tracks.  … I already own the albums and they sound great to me.  I don't want to have to re-buy them just to get a couple of songs that I don't have. 

Seconded.

“We live in divisive times.”
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 07:20:57 AM »

Or they could release the original tapes. But since there is only one original for every song, all the BB fans could take turns having our way with the tapes. Once they have been listened to by millions of people, we could return them back to the vault.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 08:25:17 AM »

I just want to see a comp of the best of the material that has yet to be released.  I'm really hoping they don't do another re-release of the original albums putting the never before heard songs on them as bonus tracks.  It's better than nothing, but I already own the albums and they sound great to me.  I don't want to have to re-buy them just to get a couple of songs that I don't have. 

I agree that it would be nice and easy if they did a nice compilation of all their best unreleased material. Actually I think it would make sense to add "Do It Again 2011" and maybe one or two more new songs to a nice album's worth of unreleased stuff. That way, Mike Love gets his "new Beach Boys" album and we get some of the long awaited unreleased tracks.

I really just hope they don't just tack one or two unreleased tracks on the end of another hits comp. They should really give us something substantial from the archives for their 50th anniversary (besides that SMiLE thing that's coming out in a few months, of course).

As far as the albums being reissued, well I'm of two minds. First, I honestly do think the albums should all be allowed to stand on their own, instead of being parts of two-fers. I also think that they could add bonus tracks for each release AND still have the albums worth of rarities. But anyways, it remains to be seen what they do.

I'd pretty much guarantee that besides SMiLE, we get another standard hits compilation. Beyond that, who knows what they are planning.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2011, 09:42:03 AM »

Hope for something along the line of the Surf's up- Audio DVD
Yeah, wasn't that already "in production"?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2011, 09:44:55 AM »

I don't konw bout you folks , but if I gotta buy "California Girls" one more time Ill scream!!

Cook pork throughly
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2011, 09:58:16 AM »

Come on guys, nows the time to hunt out thoses tapes Brian produced for Charles Manson! "The Manson Sessions Boxset" as a nice ring to it.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2011, 11:38:15 AM »

Or they could release the original tapes. But since there is only one original for every song, all the BB fans could take turns having our way with the tapes. Once they have been listened to by millions of people, we could return them back to the vault.

They already tried this, and when it was my turn to borrow the Good Vibrations vocal multis, Look vocals and Surfs Up part 2 they were simply too good, so I kept 'em

Capital refused to pay me the $100000000000000000000000 I asked for recently to return the tapes, but don't worry, my wife is keeping them safe in the shed. They make great pot plant holders.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »

Next to SMiLE that right there is every BB fans somnium

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 01:01:16 PM »

I like the idea of re-releasing everything from Surfin Safari thru Love You; everything after that is eh...
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2011, 01:02:56 PM »

Instead of re-releasing 15 Big Ones though it should just include the original mix of the album Brian prepared (or did so for at least "Rock & Roll Music")! And maybe even try and make real the whole double album thing, one of new stuff and another of oldies...
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2011, 02:50:55 PM »

I'd like to see a release of the 1975 Chicago and Beach Boys set together.  The Beach Boys could release just their set and with them with Chicago.       I saw them at Oakland Stadium and it was a special treat!    I lke the live stuff so what about a live show from the Summer of 76.  I was also at the Oakland Stadium show and I remember the electricity flowing that early evening show with Brian participating somewhat. 

Wishful thinking but let's see what comes out!
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2011, 04:09:21 PM »

Most of the ideas above would be money losers for the record company.  There simply would not be enough people willing to buy those things.

I would think the best bet might be a CD (one) with the best of everything that is not on the standard releases (the two-fers, Pet Sounds and now TSS).  That would mean reusing some tracks from Hawthorne, Endless Harmony, the GV box set, etc., but also releasing a few tracks for the first time.

A collection like that would actually have a chance to sell.  It would appeal both to the hardcore (for the unreleased tracks) and to the fans who are interested enough to buy the regular releases but not things like Hawthorne.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2011, 07:28:55 PM »

With the success of the PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE reissue, there was talk of doing a Capitol collection of Dennis' Beach Boys' work. I have no idea if that is still on anyone's potential project list, but I doubt it would be something BRI would want for a 50th Anniversary "commemorative release". However, a Dennis collection would be the perfect place for "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again", "Carry Me Home" and other unreleased tracks...and it would be something I could get excited about along with an all-previously unreleased Beach Boys collection or an early 70s live collection.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2011, 07:53:26 PM »

With the success of the PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE reissue, there was talk of doing a Capitol collection of Dennis' Beach Boys' work. I have no idea if that is still on anyone's potential project list, but I doubt it would be something BRI would want for a 50th Anniversary "commemorative release". However, a Dennis collection would be the perfect place for "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again", "Carry Me Home" and other unreleased tracks...and it would be something I could get excited about along with an all-previously unreleased Beach Boys collection or an early 70s live collection.

Nothing against Dennis AT ALL, but I'd prefer that a vault release just took the best stuff, regardless of who wrote it. Therefore, I'd probably say you get a large chunk of Brian material (obviously), but you would also get great Dennis stuff, and maybe a track a piece from Carl, Mike, and Al, if there's even anything unreleased that any of them composed that's worth a crap.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2011, 10:36:46 PM »

I would really like to hear a bad-ass live album, maybe even that pieces together seperate concerts (I know they've done this before).  I haven't heard much of their rocking 70's live act so a nicely done album that just ROCKS (to blow the perception of the band out of the water!) would be awesome. 
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2011, 12:19:44 AM »

Whatever happens, they need to release the material Brian recorded with his love Rocky Pamplin! That will be the next legendary unreleased material now that Smile is actually on the way!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2011, 12:33:53 AM »

I think just a one or two disc comp could cover everything, as long as they didn't indulge in things like interviews or backing tracks.

I'd like to hear the unreleased tracks that were done for In Concert, maybe the remainder of the tracks from Big Sur that we only have audience recordings for, if those exist from the soundboard.

The '69 to '74 period is pretty much the most fruitful in terms of unreleased material. There doesn't appear to be much from Smiley, Wild Honey, or Friends. Maybe some demos from Friends would be nice if those exist. I'd like to hear California Slide issued, Sound of Free reissued, Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again, the early version of Sail on Sailor that Steve Desper is said to have.

Alternate versions or mixes of late 70s material would be nice. The original version of Santa Ana Winds is excellent, and if there are any more like it of MIU, LA, or KTSA I'd like to hear those.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx