gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 12:02:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SPOILER!!- Heroes and Villains and Good Vibrations from TSS  (Read 96843 times)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: September 07, 2011, 08:39:43 PM »

My guess is that it will be just like the BWPS version (although the TSS version is 13 seconds longer than the BWPS version - possibly a slower tempo?). I agree that the multiple piano coda heard on the GV Box Set version is very cool and it looks like that will be represented on Disc 4 as this:

6. Wind Chimes (Version 2 Tag) (2:51)

Cool  - thanks. Hadn't spotted that!

"Wind Chimes (Version 2 Tag)" looks like it's sessions for the tag rather than a completed version of the song with the tag.

I really hope they don't give us a Purple Chick version of Wind Chimes.  It's really dull and lifeless compared to the GV box set version.  The time difference is encouraging though, and I don't think tempo could explain that.

I wasn't implying that DISC 4, TRACK 6 would be the "GV Box Set" edit of "Wind Chimes", only that the piano tag will be represented by the track which, as you say, will more-than-likely be session highlights.

As I mentioned above, I now retract my "slower tempo" speculation; I feel pretty sure the additional 13 seconds will be "whispering winds" as a lead-in.
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 07, 2011, 10:08:28 PM »

I hate to be a bit of a downer here but I've listened to Heroes and Villians a few times now and just find it to be sort of muddy and not terribly clear when in comparison to the version off of Smiley Smile. It's nice that the cantina bit is included and the ending is great too but the entire thing from the vocals to the instrumentals just sounds a bit less clear than what I'm used to hearing.

Am I crazy? I've listened to it through a decent set of earbuds too and can't notice any real improvement in sound quality...
Oh. Well, gee, am I embarrassed. I was listening to the .flac version of the Alternate Brian Wilson Mix of SMiLE through Winamp and noticed that it sounded pretty muddy. Then it hit me-- somehow the equalizer had turned itself on and had the treble all the way down. THAT'S why the new mixes sounded extremely muddy to me. Well, listening to them again now, they sound absolutely fantastic. Can't wait for the box set!

GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 08, 2011, 09:00:49 PM »

quick question:
It had never occurred to me before, but at the end of the Sunny Down Snuff section, it sounds like Dennis has a line there.

Brian: I'm fit with the stuff

Dennis: To ride in the rough

Mike: and sunny down snuff.....

am i just crazy?  3D

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 08, 2011, 09:43:43 PM »

quick question:
It had never occurred to me before, but at the end of the Sunny Down Snuff section, it sounds like Dennis has a line there.

am i just crazy?  3D

:O

Really hard to tell, actually. I'd always assumed it was Brian, but now... not sure.

Also...

Brian: In the cantina, margaritas keep the spirit high...
Mike: There I watched her, she spun around and wound in the warmth, her body fanned the flames of the...
Brian: Dance, margarita, don't you know that I love you?

Problem is, "In the cantia" sounds 100% like Brian, while the word "high" sounds 100% like Mike. It almost sounds like...

Brian: In the cantina, margaritas
Mike: ... keep the spirit high. There I watched her...

etc.

But that'd be an awkward point to cut off, would it not? Perhaps it's Mike and Brian doubled? ARHGHGGH

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 08, 2011, 09:48:23 PM »

Ditto. I had always assumed it was Brian but now, after the H&V spoiler) it sounds like Brian and Mike split it up. I'll have to listen to it again to see if I catch Dennis in there.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 08, 2011, 09:49:51 PM »

quick question:

am i just crazy?  3D

Really hard to tell, actually. I'd always assumed it was Brian, but now... not sure.

Also...

Mike: There I watched her, she spun around and wound in the warmth, her body fanned the flames of the...

Problem is, "In the cantia" sounds 100% like Brian, while the word "high" sounds 100% like Mike. It almost sounds like...

etc.

But that'd be an awkward point to cut off, would it not? Perhaps it's Mike and Brian doubled? ARHGHGGH

I think you had it right the first time - I've never thought "high" sounded like Mike (or rather, that it didn't sound like Brian).  If there was a vocal hand-off for just that one word, or part of a line, it wouldn't be so seamless.  Of course, Brian was experimenting with things like this with "Heroes" anyways, as the edits with the vocal hand-off during the verse indicates, but those are nowhere near smooth.  
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 08, 2011, 09:51:44 PM »

Hopefully vocal credits are precise in this set. And hopefully it will then be revealed to all the non-believers that Brian does the bass vocal on "Da Da" and not Mike >: (

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 09, 2011, 12:40:13 AM »

quick question:

am i just crazy?  3D

Also...

etc.

I don't think it sounds like Mike on 'keep the spirit high', but of course it is Mike from 'There I watched her..".

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: September 09, 2011, 07:02:05 AM »

quick question:

am i just crazy?  3D

Also...

etc.

I think Brian is "high". Wink 2 When I first heard "Meant For You" I actually thought it was Brian and realized later it was Mike. So when they sing a certain way, their cousin voices obviously approximate each other.

"To ride in the rough" to me sounds rather Carl-ish than Dennis-ish if at all, so I keep thinking it's Brian. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 09, 2011, 08:10:55 AM »

Hopefully vocal credits are precise in this set. And hopefully it will then be revealed to all the non-believers that Brian does the bass vocal on "Da Da" and not Mike >: (

Amen to that.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: September 10, 2011, 08:46:51 PM »

Okay, so that's at least the second time I hear a mention of the clarinet line in "Look." I've always heard it -- the melody from BWPS follows it almost exactly. Or is there a different line that I don't know about?Huh

Not sure what you mean - it's the main melody to song for children that they sing over a clarinet line. This melody doesn't exist in any booted sessions but was heard by darian as a headphone bleed on a session we don't have. I was hoping that possibly Mark was able to access this session and that the clarinet line would be prominent in this new release but maybe unlikely if it only exists as a headphone bleed.

EEP...my apologies....the only clear clarinet line I can make out in "Look" is the "Where is the father..." part.

I was confusing it with "Love To Say Da Da," in which the clarinet line absolutely is the melody on which the finished product is based.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 15, 2011, 08:08:19 PM »

My guess is that it will be just like the BWPS version (although the TSS version is 13 seconds longer than the BWPS version - possibly a slower tempo?). I agree that the multiple piano coda heard on the GV Box Set version is very cool and it looks like that will be represented on Disc 4 as this:

"Wind Chimes (Version 2 Tag)" looks like it's sessions for the tag rather than a completed version of the song with the tag.

I really hope they don't give us a Purple Chick version of Wind Chimes.  It's really dull and lifeless compared to the GV box set version.  The time difference is encouraging though, and I don't think tempo could explain that.

I wasn't implying that DISC 4, TRACK 6 would be the "GV Box Set" edit of "Wind Chimes", only that the piano tag will be represented by the track which, as you say, will more-than-likely be session highlights.

As I mentioned above, I now retract my "slower tempo" speculation; I feel pretty sure the additional 13 seconds will be "whispering winds" as a lead-in.

Interesting that there are so few tracks that appear to be alternates, as opposed to sessions. You'd think they would have the box set version of Wind Chimes, or something very close to it, but it does not look like it's on there.

On Whispering Winds- do you have reason to believe that it ws recorded during Smile?  Because otherwise it would seem like an odd choice, despite its appearance on BWPS.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 15, 2011, 09:10:39 PM »

Interesting that there are so few tracks that appear to be alternates, as opposed to sessions. You'd think they would have the box set version of Wind Chimes, or something very close to it, but it does not look like it's on there.

On Whispering Winds- do you have reason to believe that it ws recorded during Smile?  Because otherwise it would seem like an odd choice, despite its appearance on BWPS.

Yeah, I'm with you on a lot of the "tracks" being sessions instead of just the songs. For instance, when I'm going to want to listen to "version 1" or "version 2" of "Child Is Father Of The Man," apparently I'm gonna have to sit through some session type stuff to actually get to the song, instead of having what is considered the "absolute" track on one track on maybe sessions on another. This won't be a problem for the most part, as disc 1 is there to present to "definitive" SMiLE versions, but its looking like at the least, alternates of "Wonderful", "Child...", and "Wind Chimes" will be somewhat hidden inside "session" material. Not that I'm complaining, but it does seem kinda weird that to listen to "Rock with me Henry" I might need to either listen or fast-forward through some false-starts, talking, or whatever's on there.

But as I said, I'm totally happy that this set is coming out, and I for sure won't be mad about this minor issue. I'm hoping this does so well we get some other awesome unreleased tracks next year.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 15, 2011, 09:17:36 PM »

Yeah, I'm with you on a lot of the "tracks" being sessions instead of just the songs. For instance, when I'm going to want to listen to "version 1" or "version 2" of "Child Is Father Of The Man," apparently I'm gonna have to sit through some session type stuff to actually get to the song, instead of having what is considered the "absolute" track on one track on maybe sessions on another. This won't be a problem for the most part, as disc 1 is there to present to "definitive" SMiLE versions, but its looking like at the least, alternates of "Wonderful", "Child...", and "Wind Chimes" will be somewhat hidden inside "session" material. Not that I'm complaining, but it does seem kinda weird that to listen to "Rock with me Henry" I might need to either listen or fast-forward through some false-starts, talking, or whatever's on there.

But as I said, I'm totally happy that this set is coming out, and I for sure won't be mad about this minor issue. I'm hoping this does so well we get some other awesome unreleased tracks next year.

Do we know whether a complete "Rock Me Henry" version of Wonderful is possible?  One that doesn't break down with "I need some water man"?
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 16, 2011, 12:36:09 AM »

Well, what they could have done was had a CD track for the complete Rock With Me Henry backing track, for example. The complete backing track of Child version 1 & 2, the complete backing track of Wind Chimes version 1 & 2, etc. Just like the Pet Sounds box. Every song had its backing track on a CD track. But for some reason it appears that they're not doing it like that on this set.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: September 16, 2011, 07:52:07 AM »

Do we know whether a complete "Rock Me Henry" version of Wonderful is possible?  One that doesn't break down with "I need some water man"?

I just mean I wish I could hear that complete backing track (and whatever is finished of it) without having to go thru other stuff. I didn't mean that I'd get to hear a totally finished finished version of it, cuz I'm assuming it probably doesn't exist.

Well, what they could have done was had a CD track for the complete Rock With Me Henry backing track, for example. The complete backing track of Child version 1 & 2, the complete backing track of Wind Chimes version 1 & 2, etc. Just like the Pet Sounds box. Every song had its backing track on a CD track. But for some reason it appears that they're not doing it like that on this set.

Yep, I just don't see why they wouldn't do it like this. You'd assume that Mark and Alan would want to shine a light on actual sequences Brian had in 1966/1967. Like for instance, if both "Child" mixes were Brian's from back in the day, wouldn't that be something that a fan would want to access quickly and easily? Same for the Good Vibrations box set version of "Wind Chimes". I'm assuming the sequence of "Wind Chimes" on disc 1 will be more like BWPS, so you'd think you'd have the other version somewhere else on the box. But instead, it'll be split into two tracks apparently. Actually, now that I think of it, only "Child" and "Wind Chimes" are going to be the tracks that we'll have a problem with in this regard, I think.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 16, 2011, 10:54:55 AM »

On Whispering Winds- do you have reason to believe that it ws recorded during Smile?  Because otherwise it would seem like an odd choice, despite its appearance on BWPS.

Given that at least one SMILEY SMILE session has shown up as part of the official finished SMiLE version of "Heroes & Villains" and a 1968 recorded lead appears on "Cabin Essence", I'd say that the TSS set compilers will have no problem including something like "whispering winds". As it is, the nice reverb achieved on that section does not seem to place it as a home recording, so I'm not sure exactly sure when it was recorded.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 16, 2011, 12:11:38 PM »

On Whispering Winds- do you have reason to believe that it ws recorded during Smile?  Because otherwise it would seem like an odd choice, despite its appearance on BWPS.

Given that at least one SMILEY SMILE session has shown up as part of the official finished SMiLE version of "Heroes & Villains" and a 1968 recorded lead appears on "Cabin Essence", I'd say that the TSS set compilers will have no problem including something like "whispering winds". As it is, the nice reverb achieved on that section does not seem to place it as a home recording, so I'm not sure exactly sure when it was recorded.

Whispering Winds is on SOT 18.  Listen if you have a chance ... I tried to figure it out at one point.  Couldn't tell for sure, but to me it sounded more like the home studio than a professional studio.
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 16, 2011, 12:32:27 PM »

Whispering Winds is on SOT 18.  Listen if you have a chance ... I tried to figure it out at one point.  Couldn't tell for sure, but to me it sounded more like the home studio than a professional studio.

When BWPS came out, the use of "Whispering Winds" in "Wind Chimes" struck me a lot like the "Plymouth Rock" chorus on "Holidays" that Brian said was his intention back in the 60s.  It fits too well to not be an idea had back then, at the time of composition, even if no actual recording was done.  Same for the vocals on "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" (why else would he use them in "Who Ran the Iron Horse" and "Fall Breaks," both based on the same music?).

Similarities in other songs also make me wonder if he had intended to cross-pollinate other songs.  You have the chorus for "Look" reused as the music in "Whistle In," while the vocal melody of "Whistle In" is based on the Hawaiian prayer ending to "Worms."  "Worms" has the line, "Just see what you've done."  "See" as in "look."  And, as I brought up elsewhere, all the "Child" and "Dada" connections (with a pun on "water" and the German "vater," just as Van Dyke hid the german pun on potato in "Vega-Tables").  The possibilities for combining so many song elements, which would be easier than writing a lot of wholly new lyrics, make the incompletion of the album very frustrating.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 16, 2011, 01:36:08 PM »

I just mean I wish I could hear that complete backing track (and whatever is finished of it) without having to go thru other stuff. I didn't mean that I'd get to hear a totally finished finished version of it, cuz I'm assuming it probably doesn't exist.

Yep, I just don't see why they wouldn't do it like this. You'd assume that Mark and Alan would want to shine a light on actual sequences Brian had in 1966/1967. Like for instance, if both "Child" mixes were Brian's from back in the day, wouldn't that be something that a fan would want to access quickly and easily? Same for the Good Vibrations box set version of "Wind Chimes". I'm assuming the sequence of "Wind Chimes" on disc 1 will be more like BWPS, so you'd think you'd have the other version somewhere else on the box. But instead, it'll be split into two tracks apparently. Actually, now that I think of it, only "Child" and "Wind Chimes" are going to be the tracks that we'll have a problem with in this regard, I think.

Possibly Heroes & Villains, depending on whether the Cantina version is encompassed by the two-sided single.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 16, 2011, 11:17:41 PM »

Same for the vocals on "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" (why else would he use them in "Who Ran the Iron Horse"

wat

Similarities in other songs also make me wonder if he had intended to cross-pollinate other songs.  You have the chorus for "Look" reused as the music in "Whistle In," while the vocal melody of "Whistle In" is based on the Hawaiian prayer ending to "Worms."

wat

"Worms" has the line, "Just see what you've done."  "See" as in "look."

lol

And, as I brought up elsewhere, all the "Child" and "Dada" connections

Okay, this one I'm not sure on, but it still sounds dubious.

(sry if that came off mean)

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 17, 2011, 02:52:57 AM »

who ran the iron horse
run a lot do a lot never been lazy

maybe cabinessence is based on jogging?
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 17, 2011, 07:51:08 AM »

Same for the vocals on "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" (why else would he use them in "Who Ran the Iron Horse"

wat

Similarities in other songs also make me wonder if he had intended to cross-pollinate other songs.  You have the chorus for "Look" reused as the music in "Whistle In," while the vocal melody of "Whistle In" is based on the Hawaiian prayer ending to "Worms."

wat

"Worms" has the line, "Just see what you've done."  "See" as in "look."

lol

And, as I brought up elsewhere, all the "Child" and "Dada" connections

Okay, this one I'm not sure on, but it still sounds dubious.

(sry if that came off mean)

It's not mean, just lazy.
ghost
« Reply #473 on: September 17, 2011, 05:27:53 PM »

Remember the day  Remember the night
Wahala Lu Lei  Wahala Lu La
All Day Long
Keeni Waka Pula

I think it changes a bit but it's definitely in that same melodic feel. By the way I don't for one moment think this nullifies Whistle In or any song based on Smile feels. Brian wrote like this, one thing could become another thing, the feel - like Shortnin Bread - was a tool, a basis for a song, that you return to and work from, ever perfecting a fundamental feel you enjoy.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #474 on: September 18, 2011, 03:52:49 AM »

with a pun on "water" and the German "vater," just as Van Dyke hid the german pun on potato in "Vega-Tables"

Never heard about this. Could you be more specific? Water/Vater, German potato pun?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx