gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 03:40:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carls Big Chance or Memphis Beach  (Read 1544 times)
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2011, 06:14:34 PM »

I love this instrumental to death, but who plays what? I mean I can hear Brian on Piano, Al on Rhythm Guitar, Carl on Guitar, Dennis on Drums and Hal Blaine on Drums. Is there anyone else on there? Also what is that strange instrument added later. Is it a Harmonium or an Accordion?

Thanks  Smiley
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 07:04:01 PM »

I think Al is actually on Bass.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 04:32:57 AM »

Carl and Al are on guitar and bass respectively, plugged directly into the board, while Dennis, on drums, and Brian, on piano, are out in the studio with Brian counting off. The lead guitar was o/dubbed by Carl as was the accordion, possibly by Brian, possibly someone else. There's also a tambourine being played live (i.e. not o/dubbed). Not sure if it's placed on the high-hat of Dennis's kit (was that usual practice?) or it's being played by an unidentified person (Hal, Mike, Ron Swallow, Terry..?) Corrections/additions welcome.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 05:57:27 AM »

Carl and Al are on guitar and bass respectively, plugged directly into the board, while Dennis, on drums, and Brian, on piano, are out in the studio with Brian counting off. The lead guitar was o/dubbed by Carl as was the accordion, possibly by Brian, possibly someone else. There's also a tambourine being played live (i.e. not o/dubbed). Not sure if it's placed on the high-hat of Dennis's kit (was that usual practice?) or it's being played by an unidentified person (Hal, Mike, Ron Swallow, Terry..?) Corrections/additions welcome.

Hal Blaine is also drumming, along with Dennis, and my guess is the tambourine's connected to Hal's hi-hat.  It's been awhile since I listened, but there's horns on there too, right?
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 03:15:36 AM »

Hal Blaine is also drumming, along with Dennis, and my guess is the tambourine's connected to Hal's hi-hat.  It's been awhile since I listened, but there's horns on there too, right?

Craig, the presence of what was long presumed to be horns/saxes actually sounds like a droning accordion. The end of the instrumental track take bears this out. Something resembling Hal's voice (I'm not 100% sure) is heard during takes saying "This is Detroit" and "This is Detroit, man, this ain't Memphis." Chuck praises Dennis's drumming, saying "It's sounding good, man" so I'm not entirely conviced that Hal's doubling Dennis as it sounds like just the one kit. Could it be that Hal is solely playing tambourine, similar to the Dance x 3 scenario?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 06:34:41 AM »

Chuck praises Dennis's drumming, saying "It's sounding good, man" so I'm not entirely conviced that Hal's doubling Dennis as it sounds like just the one kit. Could it be that Hal is solely playing tambourine, similar to the Dance x 3 scenario?

That's what I guess, too

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx