gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:44:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson at the Canyon Club  (Read 2385 times)
Quincy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2011, 05:49:44 AM »

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php
leoleoleoleo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:08:28 AM »

I hope i'm not inadvertently insulting anyone on this board when I say that whoever wrote that article has the most annoying writing style i've ever read.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:48:50 AM »

"Attending UCSB, Jeff drove down to L.A. and combed Bellagio Road looking for a house with the stained glass window from the cover of "Wild Honey". Moving slowly, he found it and got out of his car and knocked. Brian Wilson invited Jeff inside".

A couple of my friends and I did the exact same thing.

Oh yeah, Leo, you're right about the article.  Stop go stop go herky jerking all over the place.  Tough read.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:29:12 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 09:20:37 AM »

Like his writing style or not, Bob Lefsetz is not to be sneezed at.  As a blogger, he knows everybody and sees everything, like Joe Boyd used to.   He predicted the demise of the major labels, the death of top-40 music radio and the triumph of first file sharing, then the standardizing of the mp3, the decline of CDs as the primary product, iTunes track-only sales, and now subscription streaming services like Spotify.  Nice to see he's a Brian fan, considering that this sounds like he saw one of the oldies shows, as opposed to oldies-plus-Gershwin (which I saw at the Wellmont not long ago). I'm sure others saw this too at the shows they attended:  Brian let Jeff take the leads for most of the first (oldies) set, then he came back and took over himself for the Gershwin LP set, which he was much more excited about.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:22:15 AM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Quincy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 09:24:10 AM »

Right On.. Smokin
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 03:11:26 PM »

"Attending UCSB, Jeff drove down to L.A. and combed Bellagio Road looking for a house with the stained glass window from the cover of "Wild Honey". Moving slowly, he found it and got out of his car and knocked. Brian Wilson invited Jeff inside".

A couple of my friends and I did the exact same thing.

Brian invited you inside his house after you just showed up too?
I agree about the writing style. There are a few grammatical groaners in there too, but mostly it's the style. I enjoyed reading it, though.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 04:31:52 PM »

Brian invited you inside his house after you just showed up too?

Yeah!  But Foskett got the gig!  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 01:45:56 PM »

Mikie is it you that always drops these fascinating hints of hanging out at Brian's back in the 70s but never reveals the details? ? ?

Get your book released  Wink

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 01:58:36 PM »

Brian let Jeff take the leads for most of the first (oldies) set

I think he was referring to guitar leads. I very much doubt this is true for lead vocals. Jeff tends to sing lead on Don't Worry Baby, some of Wouldn't It Be Nice (Brian takes the bridge), and they do And Then I Kissed Her as a duet. Darian does Darlin, and I guess Scott has recently taken on Sail On Sailor. That's about five songs out of a couple dozen that they play on each show.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 02:24:08 PM »

Mikie is it you that always drops these fascinating hints of hanging out at Brian's back in the 70s but never reveals the details? ? ?

Sam.  I already told the story twice on another board.  Maybe I'll start a "How/Where Did You Meet Brian" thread here.  I'll get to it soon - promise.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »

Sam.  I already told the story twice on another board.  Maybe I'll start a "How/Where Did You Meet Brian" thread here.  I'll get to it soon - promise.

But you're so good at telling the tell Mikie that you just HAVE to tell it again

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx