gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:39:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Day jobs  (Read 4472 times)
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2006, 08:36:44 PM »

For those of you who feel/think that the music of the 60's is superior to some extent to the music of today, it may be because musicians in those days could go w/o day jobs much easier and generally did, leaving them plenty of time to be creative and write/practice/rehearse.

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 05:35:46 AM »

...Okay.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 06:02:43 AM »

well not really ...in the recent issue of wax poetics there is a picture of jazz great Donald Byrd  as a street cleaner in NYC ? Unbelievable !!
also members of Kiss had jobs ...i think Paul Stanley was a taxi cab driver and Simmons taught school.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 06:33:20 AM »

For those of you who feel/think that the music of the 60's is superior to some extent to the music of today, it may be because musicians in those days could go w/o day jobs much easier and generally did, leaving them plenty of time to be creative and write/practice/rehearse.

Do people need to have day jobs nowadays anymore than in the past?  Seems a bit of a sweepiing generalisation.  The music of the 60s was great because a number of factors (social, economic, demographic, whatever) came together at that time to create something NEW and exciting.   

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
andrew k
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 08:25:04 AM »

harry nilsson recorded his first album in late night sessions while working at a bank during the days.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 09:38:18 AM »

I guess i'm just thinking of bands I like, like the Beatles, the Byrds, the Association, Simon and Garfunkel, Steely Dan, Buffalo Springfield, the Velvet Underground, some very popular 70's bands, etc., and I mean before they became popular

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 10:08:07 AM »

Reading The Beatles biography by Bob Spitz, it probably would have been good for the boys to have had real jobs...they had the worst kind of living conditions while in Hamburg in 1960.  I recommend everybody read this book, to see just how much they went through before Beatlemania. 
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 05:45:57 PM »

There are always peaks and valleys in art. Different periods. Right now we're at a low point, the truth is that back in the 60's and 70's there were more talented people making music.

Today, not so much. Musicians today always get annoyed when you bring up the past because they know nothing they do can measure up to it. And they also always use the cop out "IT'S ALL BEEN DONE"

Well guess what? A good song is a good song and its not like the Beatles and the Stones didn't have influences.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 05:59:41 PM »

Perhaps, but I also theorize that if today's talented people had more time to work on their craft, we might be hearing more good music.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 06:44:42 PM »

You think Bono has a day job?  Oh, wait, he has!  LOL

Musicians today probably have about as many day jobs as they did then.  I've known people in bands that don't work and don't make anything, just travel around in vans and live off the kindness of strangers.  Then, others do have day jobs of some kind to help make the rent, or do so from time to time.  I'm sure people did it that way in the '60s, too.  It just depends on how much squalor you can allow yourself to live in, or how good of a sponge you are to get support from friends, spouses, or parents.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx