gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680871 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:08:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Our collective wait for SMiLE  (Read 12471 times)
redlicktrout
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2011, 02:07:18 PM »

since 1966(I think)..watched as BW did Surfs Up for Leonard Bernstein on TV-I was 16 and Surfs Up blew my mind,because it was deep and strange...I want to emphasize we were 1966 teenagers who listened to 1966 and pre-1966 music so we received massive doses of teeny-bopper melodies about girls,going steady,going steady class rings, cherry cokes etc.,...BW gave us just enough of Surfs Up to make SMiLE seem to be an important,oncoming, musical,and American answer to the British invasion of radioland in the USA.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »

I'd say 1967, when Smile became a hot topic of conversation. And then Smiley Smile was released and I wondered what the f*** was going on. I've since come to love SS on its own merits. But I remember being sorely disappointed and confused by the contrast between the majesty of "GV" (and to a degree "H&V") and the bare bones of everything else.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SG7
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2011, 02:20:14 PM »

See, my wife knows where she stands when it comes to SMiLE. She knows I'll be locking her in the shed for three days when the box arrives.

S'funny how folk react differently. I've decided to let my wife out of the shed for three days to mark the release of the box. After that, she's going back in.

See, me and my wife are more understanding. She's buying me a Smile box out of the kindness of her heart. I'm buying her a shed.

She's a keeper.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2011, 02:30:24 PM »

See, my wife knows where she stands when it comes to SMiLE. She knows I'll be locking her in the shed for three days when the box arrives.

S'funny how folk react differently. I've decided to let my wife out of the shed for three days to mark the release of the box. After that, she's going back in.

See, me and my wife are more understanding. She's buying me a Smile box out of the kindness of her heart. I'm buying her a shed.

Then she'll be Ms. Hypehat "Two Sheds" Jackson.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2011, 02:34:36 PM »

yep...1st heard about it when good vibrations was out. remember dj talking about the lp it was to be on. the dj was my friend's older brother. started buying 45's with fun fun fun in 64. lp's in 67 when i had a paper route and had some spending money. remember reading about smile in 67 and buying (finally) heroes. then suddenly that fall no smile. and out of the blue my friends kidding me about liking the group. read in more detail about smile in 68. in 69 i loved 20/20 and it's smile linkage. 69 is when i really got bit by the beach boys collecting bug, same time as being kidded by my friends about liking them hit its peak.

Wow!! Buying records with paper route money! I was using it to buy Lionel trains!

The first I remember reading about SMiLE was the Jules Seigal article in a used copy of Cheetah or whatever it was. Then I picked up a paperback book called "Outlaw Blues" where Paul Williams talked about Smiley Smile, Wild Honey and SMiLE. Williams was at Brian's house during the SMiLE sessions and later included his article in his book "How Deep Is The Ocean". And.............did Tom Nolan touch on Smile in his '71 Rolling Stone 2-parter? If so, THAT might have been the first time I heard about SMiLE. I don't remember for sure - I slept since then.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2011, 02:42:44 PM »

So who's our winner?? Reddicktrout? He remembers watching the Leonard Bernstein special on TV!! But that was broadcast in April, 1967, right? He's tied with Mayo and Oldsurferdude and John K (who remembers SMiLE being a hot topic of conversation in 1967).

Damn, I feel young compared to those guys......

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2011, 05:14:53 PM »

I first read and heard about Smile in 1971. So it is 40 years for me. Damn, I'm getting old. Yikes!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
redlicktrout
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2011, 06:07:26 PM »

mikie-that was a long time ago-I cannot remember the exact month of the Bernstein TV special---If not April 67,was it in Dec 1966???any way,I watched it and remembered it because Surfs Up was different.I am 61 years old,and you are right,why would my dad and I just happen to be tuned in to that TV network on that night?My Mom was in the basement ironing I think.....I was at home with Dad because I was grounded,for coming home after a big game,smelling like beer...my punishment was dealt out...it was tough..., no night life,no cruizing,no nothing...for a week!  So I was right there on the couch watching as Bernstein led us through the young composers of the day.I think BW was the last to appear(not sure)...you are right to question posts from those of us who explored teenagery through the music of that time and actuallly realized Surfs Up to be a beginning of something special called SMiLE.
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2011, 06:14:05 PM »

Ten year wait for me. I can't imagine the feeling of having to wait since 1966 when word first came out about SMiLE. Geez, TEN years almost killed me. Ha.
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2011, 06:15:48 PM »

I've enjoyed BWPS for a few years, but discovered the Smile bootlegs late 2010. So I haven't been waiting that long. Got the announcement before I'd even heard He Gives Speeches.

I admire all you old people. That you're still obsessed with things like this.

I wonder if I'll still have this Beach Boys obsession when I'm in a retirement home, like you guys.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2011, 06:28:32 PM »

yep...1st heard about it when good vibrations was out. remember dj talking about the lp it was to be on. the dj was my friend's older brother. started buying 45's with fun fun fun in 64. lp's in 67 when i had a paper route and had some spending money. remember reading about smile in 67 and buying (finally) heroes. then suddenly that fall no smile. and out of the blue my friends kidding me about liking the group. read in more detail about smile in 68. in 69 i loved 20/20 and it's smile linkage. 69 is when i really got bit by the beach boys collecting bug, same time as being kidded by my friends about liking them hit its peak.

Wow!! Buying records with paper route money! I was using it to buy Lionel trains!

The first I remember reading about SMiLE was the Jules Seigal article in a used copy of Cheetah or whatever it was. Then I picked up a paperback book called "Outlaw Blues" where Paul Williams talked about Smiley Smile, Wild Honey and SMiLE. Williams was at Brian's house during the SMiLE sessions and later included his article in his book "How Deep Is The Ocean". And.............did Tom Nolan touch on Smile in his '71 Rolling Stone 2-parter? If so, THAT might have been the first time I heard about SMiLE. I don't remember for sure - I slept since then.

i remember cheetah and outlaw blues also. those 71 nolan articles were the icing on the cake for me. filled in gaps. plus i was older. when ss came out i thought at first it was the smile stuff people were talking about. my friend's brother was kind enough to let me play the station copy. wasn't impressed. but then i learned what was going on. really started reading about the smile story in detail when 20/20 came out.

yeah, i bought 45's. loved 'em. will admit the monkees were very big with me at the same time. and my brother, who had a paper route also, well for christmas 1969 we bought mom and dad a color tv from sears...all with paper route money. course we benefited from that gift also...  Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
oldsurferdude
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2011, 07:03:42 PM »

So who's our winner?? Reddicktrout? He remembers watching the Leonard Bernstein special on TV!! But that was broadcast in April, 1967, right? He's tied with Mayo and Oldsurferdude and John K (who remembers SMiLE being a hot topic of conversation in 1967).

Damn, I feel young compared to those guys......
I watched the Bernstein special-I remember my parents watched it as well-they liked Bernstein and Brian. I was a rabid, well seasoned fan for 4 whole years. Our group played IMR, DYWD, SG, and LS. What an unreal time to be a teen.
The Song Of The Grange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2011, 08:43:10 PM »

1992--19 years.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2011, 10:29:48 PM »

mikie-that was a long time ago-I cannot remember the exact month of the Bernstein TV special---If not April 67,was it in Dec 1966???any way,I watched it and remembered it because Surfs Up was different.I am 61 years old,and you are right,why would my dad and I just happen to be tuned in to that TV network on that night?My Mom was in the basement ironing I think.....I was at home with Dad because I was grounded,for coming home after a big game,smelling like beer...my punishment was dealt out...it was tough..., no night life,no cruizing,no nothing...for a week!  So I was right there on the couch watching as Bernstein led us through the young composers of the day.I think BW was the last to appear(not sure)...you are right to question posts from those of us who explored teenagery through the music of that time and actuallly realized Surfs Up to be a beginning of something special called SMiLE.

Good story, Redlicktrout. You have a darn good memory! Most people remember where they were when Pearl Harbor, the JFK assasination, the Beatles on Ed Sulivan, and 9/11 happened and you remember details around the time of the Bernstein special! Hope my memory serves like that when I'm 61!!

I read somewhere that Brian recorded the Bernstein special in November or December of 1966 and it aired on CBS in April of '67.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2011, 10:38:48 PM »

I watched the Bernstein special-I remember my parents watched it as well-they liked Bernstein and Brian. I was a rabid, well seasoned fan for 4 whole years. Our group played IMR, DYWD, SG, and LS. What an unreal time to be a teen.

It's neat to watch the video of it even now.  So raw.  Just Brian and a piano.  I wonder if people were looking for Surf's Up to come out soon after it was on TV. It took four years for the song to come out, and by then I think most people who watched it in 1967 probably forgot about it.

David Kennedy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2011, 11:55:06 PM »

I have been waiting for Smile for over 10 years which is nothing compared to most.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 08:39:10 AM by David Kennedy » Logged
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2011, 12:18:50 AM »

I first heard the snippets of Smile material on the GV box set when I was nine years old, so around 18 years.  I remember being fascinated by the backing tracks to Cabin Essence and Surf's Up and the sections of H&V especially.  I had just started taking piano lessons so it probably reached me at a point where I was most impressionable music-wise.  I didn't have a clue what Smile was but I'd consider that the start of my connection to this music.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2011, 03:31:56 AM »

did Tom Nolan touch on Smile in his '71 Rolling Stone 2-parter? If so, THAT might have been the first time I heard about SMiLE.

It seems he did: http://s6.invisionfree.com/sproutnet/index.php?showtopic=2714

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2011, 05:27:39 AM »

I'm only 2 months in the marriage though.  I still have to at least let her think she is more important than Smile!   LOL

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2011, 07:55:47 AM »

I have to add, my soon-to-be wife was introduced to BWPS in 2006 and loved it. Although she is more a Dennis fan. However, she is well versed in Smile and made the comment that the original tracks sound better than the BWPS. Her wait for Smile is relatively short: 5 years.
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2011, 02:34:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure I read the Tom Nolan Rolling Stone article when it came out -- so I guess I've been waiting for SMiLE for 40 years, too.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
mtaber
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2011, 06:13:51 PM »

I've been waiting since '71 or '72.  Had hopes that Smile would come out in the '70's, but pretty much gave up on a release by '80 or so.  Can't Wait Too Long...
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2011, 01:56:43 AM »

Since about early 2010 when I was 15/16 and got into the Beach Boys/Brian Wilson.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2011, 06:02:54 AM »

Almost 6 years since I first heard Pet Sounds, BWPS, my first Smile bootleg (Ryan G`s Smile if I`m not mistaken), and Smiley Smile, in that order. 7 years since articles about BWPS made me aware of Smile and made me want to hear it. 8 years since hearing GV, Heroes, GOK, Wild Honey, Darlin`, and other post-`65 BBs stuff. 10 years since I first heard the words "Smiley Smile" together (had no idea what it meant at the time) in BNL`s song Brian Wilson. 20 years since I first heard the Boys through my mom`s old Endless Summer album and seeing an aging Lovester on Full House.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2011, 03:32:38 PM »

2008 when I got into the Beach Boys (I had BWPS on CD since 2007 but I was content with that until I learned more about SMiLE and heard tracks here and there)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx